What's new

Any chance "The New Leave It to Beaver" will be released? (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
IntoIt said:
They hired two of the biggest talentless hacks in Roy Braverman and Mark Heyes to rescore ALL of the background music.
It sounds to me like the issuers of MY THREE SONS ran into legal issues regarding the show's original score. What a shame!

CHEERS!

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
Tony Bensley said:
It sounds to me like the issuers of MY THREE SONS ran into legal issues regarding the show's original score. What a shame!

CHEERS!
You mean the Capitol Hi-Q Music Library, but I know Naked City: The Complete Series will be released next month and the first season of half-hour episodes have the background music from the same library before they went to the Billy May and Nelson Riddle scores for the hour-long seasons.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
That is really depressing news about the "My Three Sons" rescoring -- that ultra-simplistic score was a great part of that show's charm -- I would love the fact that they used the same music cue, everytime for years, just after the main title sequence (and would often repeat the same cue through most episodes at least once).

Also, "The Danny Thomas Show" -- I have to admit that the show turned into a different entity once Marjorie Lord joined the cast -- I think perhaps Danny thought along these lines, rather than some feud with Lena Lamont (she'll always be Lena to me!) -- I'd put the show, especially the later seasons, on par with "The Dick Van Dyke Show", quality wise -- also I think Marjorie Lord herself owns the rights to certain seasons of the show -- this was something I'd heard over the years -- any truth to it?

Regarding Qintex, founded by Christopher Skase, who is a legend (of the worst kind) down here in Australia (read his Wikipedia page for the full story) -- pretty sure he was behind the colorized versions of both "McHale's Navy" and "The Munsters", and they could be still appearing through Universal (McHale ran on digital channels down here 3-4 years ago) -- "The New Leave it to Beaver" ran down here in the mid-80s, and hasn't been seen down here since (nor the original series for that matter)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I always got a kick out of Lumpy too. Lumpy and Eddie Haskell was always a good team up. But the whole cast was perfect.

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
Mark-P said:
I don't think anyone has ever claimed that the master elements to The New Leave it to Beaver are lost. The only issue is the rights which are in legal limbo.
The problem is the TNLITB was completely assembled, edited etc. on videotape from bits and pieces of raw film elements. No assembled film print exists for any episode.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Brian McP said:
- also I think Marjorie Lord herself owns the rights to certain seasons of the show -- this was something I'd heard over the years -- any truth to it?
Not that I'm aware of.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Tony Bensley said:

CHEERS!
Well, thankfully they ran on Nick and Nite complete and uncut and ... oh, never mind. :rolleyes:

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
we are all different, but i am not envious of anyone owning something they taped 20 years ago.

i have viewed lately what our over the air broadcasts looked like back then.

there is simply too much available on dvd and blu-ray, that i dont think there is anything that i want to watch with the old clarity.

to me, it is like asking me to swim in the bathtub after i have been in the ocean !!!

and as i said, i think most stuff will eventually come out. i will simply wait and allow the tv world to stop by.

i have already had so many visitors that i may not be able to talk to all of them !!!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
In response to jimmyjet's above post, I do largely agree with his statements, with a few caveats:

In the last few years,I have disposed of about 75% of my VHS Tapes (Pre-Recorded and otherwise!), and have noticed that over the air broadcasts often look (And Sound!) rather shabby, especially when compared to newer technology (DVD/BluRay & HD Video in general!). Personally, I often find poor audio to be even more off putting than issues with VHS Video. Unlike any DVD and BluRay Player/Recorder, most VCR'S (Especially Pre 1990's!) lacked even Stereo Audio Reproductive Capability, and Sound quality generally ranged from decent to very poor, often reproducing muffled, hard to decipher dialogue even at maximum volume levels!

With that said, there are examples of VHS Video that are of very decent quality, in terms of audio and visual. In such cases as these, for which there is no disc equivalent for a certain title and for whatever reason, likely won't be anytime soon, transferring VHS Titles to DVD can be a viable alternative that can produce surprisingly pleasant results (One caveat: Some Pre-Recorded Tapes do have guards that prevent transfer!). My advice to Neil Brock, and anyone else that may wish to preserve their Video Taped programs would be to purchase a DVD Recorder for that purpose, as I've done with a number of my Videos that will otherwise, very likely NEVER appear on disc (Especially of the Homemade Variety!)!

CHEERS!

jimmo

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
the only slightly irritating aspect of wally's acting is his constant action of looking down. it is not normal, in the sense that i have never seen a real person do this. although i suspect that it is intentional. so while it may not be a defect in wally's acting, i dont think it helps the character of wally.

Coincidence you use the name "jimmyjet" here, which I use (because my real nickname is "Jim" or "Jimmy") on another website. I am guessing you took the moniker from that legendary early 1960s toy that was a primitive flight simulator.

Anyway, fellow "jimmy jet," I am unsure if you mean the aspect of "Wally Cleaver" (Tony Dow) literally "looking down" or if you mean his character was "looking down" at others in the figurative sense of condescension? In any case, plenty of people condescend toward others. And I have also interacted with persons who must have an insecurity that disallows them to make eye contact with others in more intimate conversations, and thus frequently look away from and often stare downward.

[Political commentary deleted. -- Mod]

Lastly, my pet peeve about "Wally Cleaver" is, as the character grew older especially, he evolved into this really obnoxious goody-goody twit, to the degree one sometimes wished "Wally" would get a good porking up the old keister he was such a tight-ass. I think "Wally" must have lectured poor "Beaver" (Jerry Mathers) more than "Ward" or "June" ever did. But his parents lectures to "Beaver" seemed mostly out of genuine concern and love, often to help the boy later in life, while big bro "Wally" seemed to do so just to lord his seniority over his younger sibling and/or because he was in love with the sound of his own whiny voice. Too bad "Eddie Haskell" and "Clarence 'Lumpy' Rutherford" were, basically, such spineless weasels, as just once I would've enjoyed watching either of them really clobber "Wally Cleaver" but good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I see that Still the Beaver originally aired 35 years ago last month (March 19, 1983), and I am still waiting for The New Leave it to Beaver to become available. I would have thought that the legal rights would have been straightened out after all these years.
I wish they would release this while we still have Jerry Mathers, Tony Dow, and Ken Osmond with us to record some commentary for the show.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
No politics. Seriously. Folks who've been members for a decade should know this.
To be fair, jimmo has only posted 3 messages to date, so based on that, he's hardly a regular on this forum. Quite correct otherwise, though.
I see that Still the Beaver originally aired 35 years ago last month (March 19, 1983), and I am still waiting for The New Leave it to Beaver to become available. I would have thought that the legal rights would have been straightened out after all these years.
I wish they would release this while we still have Jerry Mathers, Tony Dow, and Ken Osmond with us to record some commentary for the show.
Due to this series most unfortunate having fallen through the cracks scenario, in which nobody has the release rights, and yet, isn't in the Public Domain either, an official release will most likely never happen. :(

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I got the word straight from Jerry Mathers himself last year in person that the show's tapes were apparently lost (probably a victim of that Universal fire of a few years back).

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
I got the word straight from Jerry Mathers himself last year in person that the show's tapes were apparently lost (probably a victim of that Universal fire of a few years back).
If anything, the post-production masters were destroyed in the fire despite Universal's false claims that "nothing was lost". However, a set of syndication distribution tapes are likely around somewhere. There was also a distributor in Canada that handled the show and could still have a set.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Thankfully, we have our "inferior" off air recordings of the show. Of course to the high definition, blue ray crowd, that's akin to not having it at all. Those of us who are not quite so nit-picky, can enjoy the show, along with hundreds of others which will never see the light of day again due to various reasons. I'm sure The Wonder Years and WKRP in Cincinnati look wonderful but I'll stick with my non-music substituted originals on those and all of the many others which suffered from music replacements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks