What's new

Any chance of TCM-HD in the near future? (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
In January of this year (2012) a TCM representative responded to a moderator at AVSForum regarding the lack of actual HD content being broadcast on TCM HD. Here is that response:
"TCM’s programming is currently upconverted. In its upconverted form, TCM HD is sharper than standard definition. Also, many movies in wider formats are easier to watch in HD, which makes the viewer experience better. We’ve received many positive comments from our viewers about TCM HD. We expect to offer TCM in native HD in the future."

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
TonyD said:
Since you don't believe anyone then what's the point of the discussion?
TCM makes no mention of any hd broadcasts anywhere, on there site or elsewhere.
It's not HD, you can believe what you want. No one here will try to mislead you.
The other thi g is that no one is saying it doesn't look good. It does look good because upconverted material ota can look good.
"Something or someone official that specifically states that there are no HD broadcast or that everything is upconverted"
The problem there is that no one official will say anything. I believe if there was hd being broadcast they would gladly say it to anyone who asks.
I never said I didn't believe anyone. I was just asking if there were official confirmation. All I kept seeing was people repeating the same statement. I didn't know if they had true knowledge, or were just stating their opinion, which is why I originally asked where I could find the official information. I could have gone on this forum and others and stated that "now everything is in HD", but I wouldn't expect people to just believe me unless I had some facts to back me up. I was just asking for current facts, one way or another.
And I'm sorry, but the fact that TCM doesn't mention HD is immaterial. They also don't mention upconvert on their site or elsewhere. From a logic standpoint, you can't read either as a fact. based on their omission.
As for it not looking good, I feel quite the opposite. I think it often looks great, which is why I was questioning to begin with, To me it looks better that a standard upconvert (at least some movies). To me, some movies do look like real HD
RolandL said:
In January of this year (2012) a TCM representative responded to a moderator at AVSForum regarding the lack of actual HD content being broadcast on TCM HD. Here is that response:
"TCM’s programming is currently upconverted. In its upconverted form, TCM HD is sharper than standard definition. Also, many movies in wider formats are easier to watch in HD, which makes the viewer experience better. We’ve received many positive comments from our viewers about TCM HD. We expect to offer TCM in native HD in the future."
Thank you, this is all I was asking for. I was unable to find this particular statement by myself (I even went through most of the fifty pages of the other forum thread that was referenced a few posts back, and only found a statement from 2009).
David

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
But everything we have said here's also on the Internet. I'm so confused :(

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by David Weicker /t/269544/any-chance-of-tcm-hd-in-the-near-future/30#post_3964091
So, we are basing this statement that all of TCM-HD is upconverted specifically on the lack of a formal announcement? And referencing a forum where someone has re-quoted the statement of of someone who repeated the statement of someone who made the original statement possibly three years ago?
Do we have any current facts that TCM-HD is still upconverting every single broadcast? Something or someone official that specifically states that there are no HD broadcast or that everything is upconverted (and omission of stating something is in HD is not proof that it isn't)
David.
Several months ago on another site, I read a statement from TCM that stated their HD broadcasts are upconverted and that in the future, when they upgraded their ability to broadcast native HD, they would make an announcement. I'm not going to bother searching for that statement now as others are free to believe what they like on this matter.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by RolandL /t/269544/any-chance-of-tcm-hd-in-the-near-future/30#post_3964163
Thank you for finding it. I knew it was there, but I wasn't going to go back after several months searching for something I knew I read in the past.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks