Any car mechanics in the house?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Patrick G, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Patrick G

Patrick G Second Unit

I've got a 2002 Hyundai Accent with 47K miles that just started making a noise. I'm pretty sure all the belts are fine, so I'm not sure what this could be. Thought someone might be able to take a listen and let me know if it's indicative of anything. I recorded about 30 seconds of me starting the car and letting it run. You can hear the sound the best in the last 5-10 seconds of the clip. Here it is: STRANGE NOISE

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Patrick,
    Sounds like belt noise to me.

get a can of WD-40 or some other silicone spray. Start the engine and let it run until the noise starts then spray the stuff at the belts while the engine is running, spray lots of it. If the noise stops for a while then comes back, the noise is from the belts.

In my experience belts can get squeaky like this even if they look fine--no cracks or fraying visible. The noise is just due to the rubber drying out and in and of itself doesn't mean the belts are going to break.

3. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Belt or the bearings the belt-pulley is attached to. Try the WD-40/Silicon spray first, if it doesn't help you may want to consider a mechanic.

But for the record, the "squeal" can get much much worse than that before anything breaks.

4. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

if your car has a serpantine belt insterad of V-belts, it also could be the idler pulley, but it sounds like a belt

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

You do have a 100K warranty, no?

6. Bry_DD

Bry_DD Second Unit

check th belt and make sure they are tight. it might just be loose.

7. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

Using WD 40 can make the belts slip on the pulley. They have a special spray for belt squeaks.

8. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I recommend checking the flux capacitor - those are known to cause problems - especially on DeLoreans!

9. DougR

DougR Second Unit

Yea...... Don't go spraying WD 40 on those Belts ! They'll just slip and you'll have more problems on your hands....like...Alternator not charging properly,OverHeating problems ! Go to the Auto Parts Store and get a Spray Can of "Belt Dressing"..... if you do have a Serpitine Belt on it....it might be telling you it's time for a Replacement?

Some extra info:CLICK

10. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Warranty. Take your car to a Hyundai dealer and check it into the service centre. Ask about warranty first of course.

11. Patrick G

Patrick G Second Unit

Thanks for the great responses, guys! I finally took the car in yesterday. I walked up to the service desk and handed them my keys. A few minutes later, the guy pulls my car into the garage and asks me if I hear the noise. To my dismay, I hear nothing now. After a few minutes of explaining how I could hear it right before I walked in, the guy tells me he did hear some belt noise when he first started the car, and quickly sprayed some WD-40 on one of the belts before pulling it in the garage. He said that was normal and that the belts looked good - they were just drying out - he noted some reddish material on the inside of the belt. He indicated I would need to change them at 60K miles, and I'd probably have to just live with the noise until that time. Thanks again for the responses!

12. DougR

DougR Second Unit

I can't believe he told you that ??
    I'd find a different Shadetree Mechanic ![​IMG]

How does that go....Pay me Now or Pay me Big Bucks Later ! [​IMG]

13. Jon_Gregory

Jon_Gregory Stunt Coordinator

Replace the belt, it's not that expensive or hard to do yourself. If the noise continues, I would suspect the idle/tension pulley. From there I would move to other pulleys in the system and listen with a automotive stethascope.

14. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

I'm not certain, but if you play the clip backwards I swear I can hear it hear it saying "WD40 is the Devil's KY Jelly"