What's new

Any Blu-Ray Changers?? (1 Viewer)

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Are there no 5-disc changers out there?? If I could continue to run 2 DVD players, I'd keep my JVC Changer and go Sony Blu-Ray 550 for my single disc -- but I can only go 2 HD sources, and Dish Network took one of them.

So any idea if any changers are coming down the pike, or are those getting passe?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Changers have gone the way of the dodo. What you may want to look into is an HDMI switcher. There are good ones out there that can be had fairly inexpensively.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Agreed about changers being obsolete. It's not a good idea to buy a changer unless it's very expensive because most of the price goes into the mechanics and if it's not expensive, then that means they had to cut costs on something which isn't good.

And considering the price of single BD players; I can't even imagine what the price of a BD changer would go for. :eek:

Definitely look into a switcher, or get a reciever that does HDMI switching. It would probably be cheaper that way then what any BD changer would be.

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
My TV doesn't take HDMI, so unfortunately that's not an option....

Why changers are obsolete is beyond me. Personally, I love to put a whole season set of TV shows in mine, and not have to mess w/changing the discs....

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm not sure about "obsolete", but like I said, being that it costs $$ to add the mechanics into these players, the manufacturers tend to cheap out on other areas of the machine to get the price down to a competitive price. Most HT enthusiasts don't like this and thus avoid them, so you'll really only see really crappy/cheap ones out there or very very expensive ones.

You may eventually see multi-disc BD players, but you're going to have to wait a long time before it's cheap enough to produce one under $500. Like I said, unless you're willing to spend moocho $$ - and even at that, I still don't think it's worth it.

Most people want the manufacturer to focus on what's important (i.e. the playing of the disc) and not sacrifice quality due to adding additional features. I have a dual DVD player and it had a lot of problems. I also had an old multi-disc CD player and it sucked.The quality of a single disc player is worth having to get your butt off the couch every few hours ;)

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
I've got a 400 Sony DVD changer and the picture quality looks fine to me. When the prices drop, I'll look into replacing it with a BD changer myself.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
^^ Which model do you have? From reviews I read, the Sony DVP-CX985V didn't have the greatest video output.

The DVP-CX995V is the updated model and had better video performance than the DVP-CX985V, but according to CNET:Of course, these players were both under $400 which is what I was saying about video performance suffering due to the cost going into the mechanics.

The higher priced DVP-CX777ES got better reviews but that came at a price ($600-$1,000). It just seems like with a multi-changers, it's best to avoid the cheap ones.

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
As I said, it looks fine to me and well worth what I paid for it, regardless of your attempts to belittle them and those of us who have them.

Got it?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
No one's belittling. I am discussing the topic at hand, giving my opinions (based on facts) and posting reviews from other sites that agree with my opinion.

I really don't appreciate your tone.

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
I don't appreciate yours either, implying that we're lazy for example.

I suggest we both let it drop before it gets real ugly.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Lazy? Oh, you mean the "get off the couch" joke? It was a joke, no need to take it personally. I appologize if it sounded mean, but I was just instructing STLMIKE on the downside to cheap multi-changers.

I have no problem if he wants to get one, but I wish to uphold the values of the HT Mission statement:I just wanted to educate him of the downside to his inquiry and this type of joke has been made many times in the past because most members here would prefer the inconvenience of getting off the couch (to change discs) if it meant getting the best possible performance from a player.

Again, I'm sorry for any ill will, but STLMIKE has posted several topics here and sounds like he is looking for a lot of info.

STLMIKE, I hope you understood what I was saying and took the couch gag as a joke. Multi-Changers are great, but if you're looking for peak performance, you really need to invest the $$ in one. The single disc players (at the same price level) will almost always have far superior video and audio performance. I just wanted you to take that into consideration when making a purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks