What's new

Any bargain SUBS out there? (1 Viewer)

Shawn.G

Second Unit
The other thread about bargain amps is very helpful. I have decided to go with a JBL amp, probably the BP600.1.
This thread starts at my next reply. Thank you for your help.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Look for a single 12 instead. Get a great value for around $110 or get 2 cheap subs for the same!

Usually means a smaller box too.

B

Shawn.G

Second Unit
Click here
I am looking to spend 200 retail max on a pair of tens. So on etronics, ebay, etc. I am looking to spend 120 max. Now, I am looking at the Kicker CompVRs because my shop recommended them and the subs have good stats. What do you think?

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I got a HiFonics Brutus bx1000d ($200) mated with a single Elemental Designs 12A ($300) and it sounds so smoooooth. It can pound when it wants to with no problems and still sounds very musical when complimenting the lows in non-bassy songs.

The 12A is the best sub I've ever owned but maybe it's out of budget for you. They also have 2 other series; the K and the O which also get praises from caraudioforum.com.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/

Alpine Type-R's are also very popular and can be had for a nice price.

PrinzII

Agent
Check out Magnum. They have the same punch as JL but don't cost as much. Don't forget about Boston Acoustics, JBL, Kicker, Fosgate

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Whoa is this the same Prinz at max.org? Hehe I've been replying to your DVD RIP thread under THX. :D Nice to see a friendly face over there!

Benjamen

Auditioning
Hey Shawn, tight budget for a pair of 10s, but some good budget performers I can suggest are Kicker Comps and Comp VRs, Cerwin Vega HEDs and VEGA series. The Comp VRs and may be a little out of your price range unless you find a deal on ebay. You might also want to check out Ubid . com for good deals, they have had Kicker, JL audio, Boston, etc on there from time to time. I have dealt with them and they have been good so far, I have returned stuff with no questions asked and refunded %100 including shipping.

Budget performers that others recommend, but I have no experience with are Alpine type E or S (S prolly too $$$), Polk GNX, and Fosgate HE.

Every kicker item I have owned was great including the Comp subs. I have owned the cerwin vega VEGAs, they are actually 5 years old now and on the second owner and still pounding with a lot of abuse. I have had the Polk GNX predecessor the EX series and it was excellent for a budget sub, have heard that the GNX is very similiar.

Your going to have more than enough power to run any of those choices with the BP600.1, excellent choice by the way. I've owned the 150.1, 300.1 and have the 600.1 in my truck. Best budget class D amp around. Any of the above subs with a quality install job will sound good for the price you pay. Make whatever subs you decide to go with they wire together to give the amp a 1 or 2 ohm load.

As an alternative to what you asked, I would consider using that money to buy 1 higher quality 12" or even 2 used higher quality 10s. Elemental Designs, oh yeah.

If you give us more information on what kind of setup you want, we can help narrow down choices for you. Sound quality or SPL or nice mix of both? Ported or sealed box? How much room do you have for the boxes?

Oh yeah, if you want to get a warranty with a good price, find your stuff on Etronics and go over to Sounddomain .com and have them do their 105% price match. They are authorized internet dealers for most of the stuff they sell so the manufacturers warranty is good.

Hope this helps, any more questions just ask.

Shawn.G

Second Unit
I asked around on caraudioforum.com and they offered a different option. I am going with one 15 Tempest and a JBL 180.2 amp. That setup is perfect for me.

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
Shawn,

Are you going with a 3cf sealed box? That's the Tempest sub I'm going to build sometime. I've got 3 sitting in boxes in the basement, but no time right now.

I also have a dual Tempest sub in my HT and it's amazing. Good luck....Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks