What's new

Any 80's Hard Rock/ Metal Fans? (1 Viewer)

troy evans

Screenwriter
Greg, Little America reminds me of the Honeymoon Suite and Blue Tears type of bands. Now, Triumph on the other hand...Awesome. Again, My brothers used to play "lay it on the line" to no end. I've always liked "tears in the rain" off "The Game of Kings" cd by them.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don

Wow, Honeymoon Suite! I STILL think Alice in Chains ripped off the riff/feel of "Man in the Box" from HS' "New Girl Now."

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm a pretty big Metal fan, but I have never gotten into what I consider to be "Hair Bands" which is how I would classify most of the bands being mentioned. Leppard has done some good stuff, and their last album seemed pretty decent. Aside form them, Scorpions and Queensryche would be my main "80s" metal bands. I actually like some of the current stuff better. It's hard to beat Tool or Lacuna Coil.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Powerslave was the album that got me into music, period, let alone metal. It really blew my mind.

You can't lump Extreme in with Mr. Big or other hair bands. Extreme's first album was the only one that could remotely be classified as hair metal. The 2nd had some radio-friendly hits though, I suppose. Their 3rd and 4th discs were closer to prog metal than hair metal.

In the '80s I hated hair metal, but in recent years I've come to appreciate its sense of fun. On top of the fact that most pop has gotten so vapid it makes the top 40 hair metal of the '80s sound as sophisticated as Led Zeppelin. :)

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor

Wow not many people know of Blue Tears. They are a hair band that came on right at the end of the whole metal years right before grunge took over. Their second album had been bootlegged for many years on ebay, but was recently released a few years ago by a place out of Australia.

I really loved Mr. Big's first album, just a raw guitar album with great emotional vocals at times by Eric Martin. Second album was more melodic but had a great tune on it which is still fav of mine, Green Tinted Sixties Mind.

For you Extreme fans, they are currently rapping production on their new album which should be released this fall!

Here is a band I like to pull out for the Prog listeners, Crimson Glory. Transcendence is a great album, I feel bad I haven't listened to that album in about 15 years since I stopped listening to tapes, I need to find this CD. Their 3rd album Strange and Beautiful really took a right turn with their sound, more radio friendly material and melodic.

Good lord I could go on!

Paul

troy evans

Screenwriter
Alright John, I knew you had a wild side. :laugh: Queensryche's Empire album, to this day is IMO a masterpiece. I actually listened to TOOL when I was younger. Lacuna Coil I've heard briefly. I'll give them more attention. Wow, John Rice, executive rocker! ;)

troy evans

Screenwriter
Please do go on. That's some great stuff you've mentioned there. Crimson Glory was underrated to be sure. That band reminds me of others I've failed to mention: Lizzie Borden, Quiet Riot, Riot, Steeler, Keel, W.A.S.P...... Man, talk about going on.

troy evans

Screenwriter
KIX, Yes! I don't know how far down the rabbit hole you go with them, but, definately check out their "Midnight Dynamite" album. Very underrated.

troy evans

Screenwriter
I just got the new DOKKEN cd "Lightening Strikes Again" and this could have been recorded in the days of "Under Lock and Key" and "Back for the Attack". The sound is right out of the 80's. Way to go DOKKEN! I was disappointed with their albums "Dysfunctional" and "Shadow Life" as they were trying to go into a new direction with the music on a whole. Just too far off the original sound of what I've come to know the band to be. Over their next three albums "Erase the Slate"," Long Way Home" and "Hell to Pay" I was teased with a couple of tracks on each that were reminisent of the classic sound, but, the rest of those albums, while good, left my DOKKEN craving unsatisfied. "Hell to Pay" was even touted as the Album for the fans. No sir. "Lightening Strikes Again" is the one for the fans. If you listened to DOKKEN in the 80's and liked them, this cd needs to be heard by you. No if ands or buts. Check it out!

troy evans

Screenwriter
What did ya think of ACCEPT? I own several of their cds. I always like feedback on this band because you either love or hate em'.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Yeah Man :D I got their second cd a couple years ago from Suncity Records. I've been meaning to get the third release compilation from them. Now, the new cd, I just can't get into for some reason. It's too different from them. I've got Mr.Big too! Wow, it's nice to see I wasn't the only one following this stuff. Any one here remember RIP or Kerrang magazines? Before internet I relied on these to keep me updated. Not to mention Headbangers Ball every Saturday night. I watched it all the way back when Adam hosted, but, Rikki Ractman really made it great every week. Faster Pussycat anyone?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

Yes, Nuno is involved.

Saudades de Rock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyone buy guitar magazines, at least in the '80s? Invariably, I'd read the interviews and think, "Oh, man! This is going to be the greatest album ever," and then I'd flip to the reviews in the same issue and it would be slaughtered. The most notorious was White Lion--Mane Attraction. The interview made it sound awesome, but the review said, "Your little sister's going to buy it, so borrow it from her if you really want to waste your time." The magazines always did stuff like that.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Another huge moment in my life was hearing the "Restless and Wild" album for the first time. I already owned and enjoyed "Accept" and "Breaker" (the two albums before "Restless"), so I HAD to own "Restless and Wild" even though it was only available on German import vinyl at the time (Ten bucks was HARD for me to come by in the early 80s).

The "heaviest" metal bands at the time were probably Motorhead and Venom (yes, I'm a fan of those bands, too), but nothing could have prepared me for the moment "Fast As a Shark" blistered out of my speakers for the first time. "Power Metal" was truly born. This was like Judas Priest on speed.

As far as people "loving or hating" Accept, I believe the animosity toward them began with the follow-up album "Balls to the Wall." While it's probably second-only to "R&W" in the Accept canon musically, I think the lyrics and cover art did them a lot of damage. The band didn't have a great command of the English language, so they roped in a "friend" of theirs referred only to as "Deaffy" to write the lyrics. It was revealed only a few years ago that "Deaffy" is in actuality Gaby Hauke, the band's manager...and a woman (she's married to guitarist Wolf Hoffmann). The problem was she wrote the lyrics for one of the heaviest bands in the world at the time...from a woman's perspective. Now, I'm all for women in heavy music, and I love lyrics from a woman's point of view, but things can get a little skewed when those lyrics are being sung by a diminutive German man wearing camouflage.
Men in metal aren't supposed to sing lyrics like "By looking in his eyes something turned me loose in this hot night" and " I can feel your sex winding up the girl in the red dress" (both from the same song, by the way). The album cover and the song title "London Leatherboys" didn't do them any favors, either.

Sorry for rambling, but I'm a walking metal almanac, and can't help myself...

mylan

Screenwriter
I'm not sure where I heard this but the singer in Accept was gay which gives those lyrics new meaning, as well as "get your balls to the wall man" and a whole new meaning to London Leather Boys. Weird now how many metal guys were, like Rob Halford of Priest, not thats there is anything wrong with that...
I am a hair band fan from way back but never got into the harder bands like Motorhead or Wasp, Deep Purple's "Burn" and Black Sabbath's "Paraniod" were my first real albums, followed by Rainbow. I'll admit i've not bought anything new in a while except for the new Def Leppard (which is ok but sounds too pop-ish) but I'm stuck on the Boneyard on XM.
My problem nowadays is that i'm trying to re-create the "glory days" when every song rocked but I find most new metal lacking, Metallica's ST. Anger just sucked compred to the older stuff.
I still find myself listening to the old stuff, you just can't beat the guitar riff of Ratt's Lay It Down and for those of you who wrote off Winger, get "Pull" which did not sell but contains their heaviest material to date, I still work out to it.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Who's the guitarist in Dokken these days? Did they get George Lynch back?

In 1987 you couldn't pay me to listen to White Lion. But now Wait is one of my all-time favorite sing along in the car tracks. :)

I'm actually kinda curious to hear what the next Metallica album (if any) sounds like. St. Anger wasn't great, but it seemed like they were at least trying for the first time in many years.

troy evans

Screenwriter
All I can tell you about Jon Levin is he used to be the guitarist for the band WARLOCK fronted by female metal vocalist Doro. Now all the sudden here he is in DOKKEN. As hard as it may be to believe once you here Lightening Strikes Again you won't miss Lynch. Not meant as a stab at George just the sound is intact without him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks