What's new

ANTZ (consolidated thread) (1 Viewer)

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
If I'm not mistaken, all the earlier Dreamworks titles that had seperate DTS releases were full bitrate (at least my Peacemaker and Small Soldiers ones are).

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
Yes, the new packaging still has the full bitrate. On the back of the DTS version, it may say that it also has DD5.1 and all the extras. That is false. The specs are misprinted. The disc inside is the exact same thing as the original DTS release.

Shem Kellogg

Agent
antz dts is oop, no? should i pick this up while i still can? i like disney-pixar stuff but thought bug's life was pretty lame

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
antz dts is oop, no? should i pick this up while i still can? i like disney-pixar stuff but thought bug's life was pretty lame
To each his own - I loved A Bug's Life and preferred it to Antz by a ton.

Anyway, I can't figure out if it's out of print or not. However, every e-tailer I checked has it in stock, and I see no evidence it ISN'T in print anymore...

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
To each his own
I certainly agree with this, since I enjoy Antz much more than A Bug's Life.

I found the story more interesting, and the voice casting was terrific. I even loved Stalone in this movie, and I don't like him as an actor.

You even get to hear Woody Allen break into song.

I think kids are more likely to prefer Bug's Life to Antz, because the story in Antz has a more mature theme. For me, Antz has more repeat viewings in it than Bug's Life.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think kids are more likely to prefer Bug's Life to Antz, because the story in Antz has a more mature theme.
Why do those who prefer Antz ALWAYS have to make it out to be the more "mature" of the pair? They're essentially the same story - the only thing that makes Antz more "adult" is that it's got some profanity and a little bit of insect gore. If there's anything particularly "mature" in it, I missed it.

Phil K

Auditioning
The current edition of Antz still features the DTS track but lacks the old cover which showed the WTC Twin-Towers.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Count me as an Antz man - A Bugs Life is completely overrated. Frankly everything Pixar does is.

Antz was brilliant and its a shame it always gets over shadowed by Bugs Life.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Antz was hampered for me by the whole Woody Allen schtick, which I've grown weary of.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
See, I think Antz is probably the best thing Woody Allen has done in a long, long time - it was like seeing him back doing his great, funny stuff from the 60s and 70s again without the baggage of all his bizarre personal life and mediocre films that have come since.
Why do those who prefer Antz ALWAYS have to make it out to be the more "mature" of the pair?
Cuz it is. :) Personally, I think its comedy leans more to the satiric and "it's funnier if you think about it for a second" than A Bug's Life, which tended to be very straightforward.

Matthew Marino

Stunt Coordinator
Antz was hampered for me by the whole Woody Allen schtick, which I've grown weary of.
Though I like the film, I couldn't agree more. At fist I like A Bug's Life and Antz about the same but as time has passed A Bug's Life proved itself to be the better of the two in my opinion.

Ryan Wong

Stunt Coordinator
The animations of Antz are crappy.
DreamWorks - the copier.:thumbsdown:
"Pixar is working on an ant story. Let's do one fast and release before them."
"Finding Nemo has earned so much. Let's do another one (Shark Tale)."

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Ryan, the turnaround time on animated features makes at least Antz being a rip-off unlikely; its release date was pushed up to avoid being caught in the wake of A Bug's Life, but more likely PDI did an insect story for the same reason Pixar did - they're smooth objects that wouldn't require a lot of texturing and hair/fabric work. Same rationale goes for doing movies around toys and fish.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks