What's new

ANTZ (consolidated thread) (1 Viewer)

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
I'm trying to decide which one to get. Most reviews say that the DTS is superior audio-wise, but is it that much better to give up the extras on the Signature Collection? Any input would be great, thanks :)

Arif

Agent
I originally purchased the DD 5.1 version since I could not justify the extra $$$ for the DTS version.
I recently picked up the DTS version (I absolutely love DTS) since it is now priced the same and on sale ($19.99 CAN or less). IMHO, the extras on the "Signature Selection" are simply not worth it! Do yourself a favour and pickup the DTS version, it sounds wonderful.
I just wish I had picked it up the first time around - would have saved me some money! Anyway, the original so-called "Signature Selection" is now occupying a spot in my brother's DVD collection.
:)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The new version actually now has both DTS and Dolby 5.1 with the same extras on the first release, DTS probably isn't full bitrate though (which makes me wonder what the point is.)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Hmmm, I was not aware of this new version. It most likely is 1/2 bitrate, yes,

Arif

Agent
The new version actually now has both DTS and Dolby 5.1 with the same extras on the first release, DTS probably isn't full bitrate though (which makes me wonder what the point is.)
Are you referring to the new DVDs with the "Dreamworks Animation" banner? If that's the case, why is Dreamworks not indicating DTS on the back cover? Of all the new DVDs I've seen (Antz, Chicken Run, Road to El Dorado), they explicitly indicate only Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby Surround on the specs even though the latter two also had a DTS track on their original release.
Very odd, considering Dreamworks is known for including DTS on most of their titles. Then again, maybe the inclusion or indication of a DTS track is no longer a priority for them as in the recent release of Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron which does not include DTS.
:confused:

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
^ yeah, I remember seeing the new packaging for Antz but didn't see any mention of DTS. I haven't seen Chicken Run though. Do you guys know whether the newly packaged Chicken Run still has the DTS track?

Arif

Agent
Do you guys know whether the newly packaged Chicken Run still has the DTS track?
I picked it up last night and it does indeed have the DTS-ES 6.1 track on it. Although the audio specs on the back cover don't mention it, if you look closely at the fine print at the bottom it indicates something like "Plays in DTS-ES 6.1 channels and is compatible with DTS 5.1". :)
The other newly repackaged titles, Antz and Road to El Dorado do not have this little blurb on their back covers! :angry:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
antz was released on a seperate dvd with dts. not on the same dvd as the DD with the extra features.

2 seperate releases one with dts and one with DD.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
Ok, I'm totally confused with the new Dreamworks packaging of ANTZ. I want the DTS version, so I went to my local Futureshop. The only version they have is the newly packaged Dolby Digital version with extras. On the packaging, there's NO mention of a DTS track anywhere. So I went home and ordered the DTS version online. I received a DTS version WITH DD PLUS the extras.

I'm assuming that the DTS won't be full bitrate, but if that's the case, what's the difference between the two new packagings. They both have the same extras so why two separate versions?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I had this in my hand yesterday as well. I remember reading a post in this area about 2 weeks ago. Try doing a search for it. I also saw a repackaged Road To ElDorado with new artwork. Both the artwork for Antz and RTED are not as good as the original.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
Yeah, but in the previous post, it was assumed that the new version has both DTS and DD. However, there are TWO new versions. One with DD5.1 + extras, one with DTS + DD5.1 + extras. I just don't know what the differences are between the two.

and yeah, I prefer the original ANTZ cover...

Jean Paul Villeneuve

Second Unit
There are now 3 covers, but only 2 different versions.

Antz DD 5.1 (with extras) Release Date: 3-23-1999

Antz DTS 5.1 & DD 2.0 (no extras) Release Date: 7-6-1999

Antz DD 5.1 (with extras & new cover art) Release Date: 2002

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
no, I went to the store today and there are two different versions with the same new cover art:

One of them says on the back grid that it has DD5.1 + Extras
While the other one has DTS + DD5.1 (not 2.0) + Extras
???

Jean Paul Villeneuve

Second Unit
I have the first 2 in my collection, only saw the 3rd one at a Canadian Wal-Mart. Sorry, I haven't seen or heard anything about that 4th release with DD 5.1 & DTS 5.1 + extras.
Now I'm confused :confused: ;)

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Yikes. That cover's hideous. I like the original better. Understated, but pleasantly so. Good movie though!

Joe RZ

Stunt Coordinator
Does anybody know if the current one that Best Buy is selling for 15 bucks is the full bitrate version?At BestBuy.com they use the same picture for all versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks