What's new

Ants in my bathroom, normal in winter? (1 Viewer)

Matty P

Stunt Coordinator
Title says it all, started killing 1-2 ants/day about a week ago in my 2nd floor bathroom. I thought ants only showed up in the spring/summer, not when it's single digits outside and our neighborhood is covered in 2 feet of snow? I'm assuming these are carpenter ants, killed around 5-6 of them just this morning after waking up, kind of grossing me out and just wondered if I should call an expert or try something on my own...suggestions? Thanks!

-matt

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
I just fought off back-to-back ant invasions during a cold snap here in Texas. I had a bunch of little black ants build a bed on the outside wall against the fireplace (which I don't use). They then proceeded to invade through a crack in the fireplace. I vacuumed up the invasion and then had someone come spray for ants.

The second bunch of big ants moved into a box of computer speakers I hadn't opened (which I discovered when I opened the box and lifted up the subwoofer; what a surprise that was to see a nest of ants :eek: ).

I would look around and see if you can see the nest. I would definitely recommending having someone spray since you don't want them to have a firm foothold by Spring.

Kenneth

Matty P

Stunt Coordinator
forgot to mention that we have an 8 month old dog that I'm worried about spraying around...do they make pet-friendly sprays?

-matt

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

Well, guess it's better then ants in your pants. :laugh: :frowning: Bad, yes, I know...but I couldn't resist.

Kenneth

Supporting Actor

The professionals should have something. Also, the key is getting the bed. Try and figure out where the ants are coming from. That will be where they need to be poisoned. Once the bed is gone you can vacuum up any stragglers.

You could also put ant traps out. As long as your dog doesn't eat the trap it won't affect him.

Kenneth

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Yeah, give the ant traps a try. They are generally pretty effective. Put a few around where they won't be disturbed and in the ants 'path' and leave them there for a couple weeks.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
We had black ants infest the windowframe in our bathroom a few years ago during the winter. All that hot, moist air had begun to rot the wood and the little buggers moved right in. Once I knew where they were I drilled a few pilot holes through the wood and blasted their nest with ant killer (I didn't want to replace the window until spring). Check any woodwork in your bathroom for small holes.

The revolting part of the story is that after I blasted the nest the ants started pouring out and dropping dead in the tub. After a few minutes the gigantic, scary soldier ants came storming out -- the stuff of nightmares! Good thing I did the deed while the wife was away or she would have never used that tub again.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Now, now Ron - that isn't so funny! I hung up a set of fresh clothes in my bathroom one day last summer and later that day I discovered it had been infested with ants! :)

They were coming out of the light switch cover and (in quadruple file, no less), and were all over my pants and shirt. The good news was that the bathtub was close by. I hate being a mass-murderer, but they were invading my territory! :)

Glenn

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
I think so. I always get a dozen or so once in a while early winter, once or twice in the summer. Fortunately, nothing like infestation noted above.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks