What's new

anti-glare screens (1 Viewer)

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator
I have a hitachi 57" widescreen tv that gets a pretty bad glare on it towards sunset making it unusable. Is there an anti glare screen for my TV? I've done some research but I couldn't find any manufacturers. Does anybody have some recommendations of a good anti glare screen? Somebody told me that my Tv already had an anti glare screen installed but that it acted as a glare screen. Is this true?

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
If you don't have any small children or pets that will jump on the screen, remove the protective screen (there are posts of people doing this). A lot of people on here say that it actually improves the picture quality and bam, no more glare either. If you do have small kids or pets, then it is safe to say that the easiest way to cut down the glare is to remove the light that is causing the glare. Most RPTV's come with what is called an anti-glare screen, but they are not much of an anti-glare screen at all. I just have to close the vertical blinds that shine on my tv when the sun is going down. Other than that there is not much you can do.

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator
well the room that the tv is in has 6 huge windows, skylights and french doors so using blinds would get expensive quick. Is removing the protective screen very difficult?

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
It just depends on the TV. I am sure someone here could help you. I have a panny RPTV so I can not help with how to take yours off. Some are easy and some are hard to get off, but I am not sure with the hitachi. What model do you have? Do a search for your model number or hitachi and removing the screen protector and see what comes up. If you can not find it somewhere, just ask it in another thread dedicated to removing the screen.

My RPTV only shows significant glare when light shines directly onto the screen from behind the seating position.

Mike-C

Grip
Based on the screen size I'm going to presume that you have the Hitachi 57S500. There is a thread on the AVS forum that gives the instructions on how to remove the screen.

I'm not allowed to post links yet but you'll need to go to
avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=320580

Goodluck

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

There is a big difference in ease between removing the screen on the S versus the F series. One is a giant headache since all the Magic Focus wires are attached to the screen and must be carefully removed ...

The other has the same MF sensors built into the cabinet making the screen removal simple.

Regards

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

You are in luck. The sensors are connected to the cabinet and not the screen bezel.

It should be fairly straight forward ...

unscrew the 30 odd screws holding the screen in ...

Remove the black electrical tape ...

Either remove the plexiglass completely or move it from the front to the back of the stack.

Put it back together ...

Might have to reconverge and retouch focus as a result of doing this.

Regards

Heh....... you're so screwed!! :D

Just kidding. Seriously, though, my viewing room is (at this point) my family room with a 5 window bay directly behind the viewer and a HUGE square window with 1/2 circle window above it just behind and right of the viewer (going up the stairs). I've put blackout honeycomb blinds on the 5 windows in the bay, but people sitting 15-20 or more degrees off center to the left can get a nasy glare from the big windows on the stairs. I'm just waiting to put up blackout shades (remote controlled, no less) on those windows, then I'm set =)

I'm about to pickup the Panny 53", and it's the model that doesn't have the "anti-glare" screen. Any links or advice on removing that screen shield would be appreciated.

For that matter, is there ANYWHERE to buy a replacement shield that's really anti-glare? Or some way I could coat or modify the current shield?

TIA,
Mike W.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks