Anthem AVM20 hardware changes...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by George Kouzev, Aug 12, 2003.

1. George Kouzev

George Kouzev Stunt Coordinator

I am about to make a dive and get this processor but I am not sure if should get one with a very recent production date or an earlier stock unit, possibly made very early this year. Does anyone know if the processor has any, even minor hardware changes since the beginning of this year.

At some point I read about volume control updates, which may or may not affect the sound quality.

Thanks,

GK

2. Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter Second Unit

There is a new DSP board. That DSP board will allow you do run the version 2 software (very cool). If the unit you are looking at does not have the upgraded DSP board, it will cost you about $350 to get one installed.

Usually, if you can get a version 1 unit, you will get a very good deal on it. A brand new unit cost you $3400. I bought mine for $2500, and then upgraded for $300. I saved $600. That same shop had an open box unit they used for their "appointment only" Demo shop. I just got that unit for a friend for $2500, and they had just got the unit back from Anthem with the upgraded DSP. They had finally sent it in. So my friend saved $900.

Look around. About the only thing missing with an upgraded unit is the DLPII and THX Ultra2 logo's. [​IMG]

Happy hunting.

3. George Kouzev

George Kouzev Stunt Coordinator

I asked Tech support at Anthem that same question (plus others) and got virtually instantaneous response, and a quite detailed one. I now understand what people are saying about their customer support. Excellent!

GK