What's new

Antennas and restrictions (1 Viewer)

It is my understanding that many viewers that wish to receive an OTA digital signal may need to use an outdoor antenna where right now one is not needed for an analog signal. In reading The Telecommunications of 1996 I see a section that prohibits restrictions that impair the installation, maintenance or use use of antennas used to receive video programming. This rule is cited as 47 C.F.R. Section1.4000.
Am I right in assuming that this means that any covenant or restriction about the installation of an outside antenna or 1 meter satellite dish by a local home owners association is now moot? The FCC fact sheet explains the limitations of the ruling regarding dish size and height above the roof line for the antenna, but if I'm reading this right, if you need an antenna for decent reception be it analog or digital you can put one up and no one can stop you. Has anyone had any experience wit this ruling? The FCC Fact sheet is located at http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

Judy Y

Stunt Coordinator
YES! I own a townhome and was told, when I put up my antenna, that the bylaws prohibited it. I told them that the LAW prohibited thier bylaws. Later, they had some guy park in front of my house from a cable tv installer, he took some notes, left and I never heard another peep from my homeowner's association! Guess he told them the same thing. (I have had my antenna up for several months now. No trouble.)

Alan Markow

Agent
Agree with Judy that the law mandates all USA citizens have the right to receive OTA signals. If an outside antenna is required, you have the right to put one up -- Homeowner association rules notwithstanding. My outside antenna went up two weeks ago. I don't think anyone has even noticed it. But it is kind of weird to be "back to the future" on mounting outside antennas, rotors, etc.
Alan

Timmy

Stunt Coordinator
If an outside antenna is required, you have the right to put one up -- Homeowner association rules notwithstanding.
This is the case. But that doesn't guarantee your association is not going to put up a fight. Stand your ground, install the antenna; they'll probably leave you alone.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
In most shared buildings such as garden apartments you do not have the right to mount antennas (or anything else) on roofs or outside walls, nor drill holes in walls to the outside. Homeowners associations or landlords are not required to let you do these things, FCC rule or not.
You will likely be given an alternative, such as install the antenna on the ground outside or on a pole you provide at your own expense.
Other video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm
[Edited last by Allan Jayne on August 31, 2001 at 09:06 PM]

Timmy

Stunt Coordinator
Allan, you are correct for apartment renters or multi-unit condos, but the original poster was talking about a privately owned single dwelling that just happens to be governed by a HOA.... at least that was the understanding I got from the post.
[Edited last by Timmy on September 01, 2001 at 09:17 AM]

In my original post I was talking about a single house governed by a HOA. But, looking at the FCC Fact sheet about this topic there is this reference to condos and apartments:
Q: If I live in a condominium or an apartment building, does this rule apply to me?
A: The rule applies to antenna users who live in a multiple dwelling unit building, such as a condominium or apartment building, if the antenna user has an exclusive use area in which to install the antenna. "Exclusive use" means an area of the property that only you, and persons you permit, may enter and use to the exclusion of other residents. For example, your condominium or apartment may include a balcony, terrace, deck or patio that only you can use, and the rule applies to these areas. The rule does not apply to common areas, such as the roof, the hallways, the walkways or the exterior walls of a condominium or apartment building. Restrictions on antennas installed in these common areas are not covered by the Commission's rule. For example, the rule would not apply to prohibit restrictions that prevent drilling through the exterior wall of a condominium or rental unit.
I read this to say that if I had an apartment or a condo I could install an antenna mast on my deck or patio and mount antennas on it, as long as they where not 12' above the roof line.
This looks like it could give lawyers a lot of work

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
I'm so disappointed with the "dishnetwork" system that when my contract runs out I'm installin a 4dtv satelite system (in the back yard away from the house) with a umbrella on top. I'm gonna watch TV when it rains, dangit!

Tom_F

Auditioning
Depending on your distance from the transmission tower, the strength of the broadcast signal and the terrain, you may be able to receive an adequate signal by mounting an antenna in your attic. If this works then you don't have to worry about fighting with your HOA, although you would probably win.
I mounted a CM 3021 antenna in my attic on a CM rotator and I'm able to pull in all of the larger LA stations from San Diego, a distance of 103 straight-line miles. Mt. Wilson is at 6,000 feet, so that helps a lot.
Link Removed . The second set of pictures are at a higher definition, so clicking on the picture will give you much more detail if you want.
[Edited last by Tom_F on September 05, 2001 at 05:22 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks