What's new

antenna for HDTV OTA reception (1 Viewer)

Sathyan

Second Unit
***if this is the wrong forum, please accept my apologies***

I have Dish Network (Dish Receiver 811, SuperDish 500) satellite television but it is not carrying my local network affiliates (PBS, CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC) in HDTV [South Bend IN local market]. Dish Customer Support confirms these channels are carried only in SD.
The Dish receiver has an input for connecting an OTA antenna and using it as a tuner (my HDTV does not have its own HD tuner).
Can you recommend a roof-mounted antenna (under $100) that can be used to pickup HD signals?

There is a cluster of stations 40 miles SSE and another 65 miles due west.

thanks,
Sathyan

P.S. Can I receive SDTV signal on an HDTV antenna for the extra TVs that don't have satellite receivers.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

Enter your location info here, and this will give you an idea of what kind of antenna you would need to get the most bang for your buck. ;)

Even if you had to spend $200 or so, in the long run, you're really going to save a lot of money and you're going to enjoy the convenience. You will also enjoy using your Picture in Picture option on your TV with this setup. ;)

Any good antenna these days will get SD without any question and whatever HD is in the range will also be picked up no sweat. If it can get HD, SD is a cake walk. :)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There are no such things as HD antennas. There are antennas that pick up a certain frequency range whether that signal is digital or analog. Don't pay extra for the marketing and stay away from Terk. If all of your channels are in the UHF range, Channel Master makes so good antennas for long range reception.

-Robert

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Sathyan, I also have the 811 HD receiver, and I put up a Winegard OTA antenna to pick up locals out of Milwaukee. You will love the reception, even the SD channels look better than satellite. Winegard and Channel Master are both great antennas.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks