What's new

Another wacky lawsuit: woman sues Kraft over amount of avocado in guacamole (1 Viewer)

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman

It should also be noted that only ingredients that constitute more than 2% of the product are required to appear on the ingredient list.

Also, have you ever noticed that many "non-dairy" items as defined by the FDA contain dairy products, and so there is an additional warning for lactose intolerant persons and for items that are Kosher, they are marked as Kosher-Dairy.

The FDA isn't the end-all and be-all of what is right and wrong in labeling.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yes, but anything that falls outside their standards (i.e. your non-dairy example) deals with rules which are introduced to protect people from harm. A lactose intolerant person needs to know whether "Dairy Free" is 100% dairy free, so that will fall outside of the FDA regulations.

When Sugar-free products use the "Not a dietary food" on the label, it's because diabetics can do a lot of damage if not informed properly. It's not there because some dumbass was complaining that the sugar free cookies were still too sweet and they were duped into buying a "Healthy" snack. ;)

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

Not so.
A lactose intolerant person needs to know whether the food contains lactose. Some (aged) cheeses do not contain lactose, conversely some non dairy products do.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric

I am lactose intolerant. Here is a list of ingredients I must scan each item I buy for;

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mjcassa...iddenmilk.html

sour cream solids
sour milk solids
whey
whey protein concentrate
Butter
Milk powder
Butter oil
Skim milk powder
Calcium caseinate
Milk solids
Casein
Non-fat milk
Caseinate
Non-fat milk solids
Cheese
Sodium caseinate
Cream Sweet whey powder
Demineralised whey
Lactalbumin
Light cream
Whey solids
ammonium caseinate
artificial butter flavour
butter solids/fat
caramel colour*
caramel flavouring*
delactosed whey
dried milk
flavouring*
high protein flour*
hydrolysed casein
hydrolysed milk protein
lactalbumin phosphate
lactate
lactoferrin
lactoglobulin
lactose
magnesium caseinate
milk derivative
milk fat
milk protein
natural flavouring*
Opta (fat replacement)
potassium caseinate
rennet casein
Simplesse (fat replacement)
solids

Here are just a few foods where you wouldn't expect to find these things;

Hot Dogs, chocolate, deli meats, egg substitutes, protein bars, margarine, salad dressing, cereal, cooking seasonings, candy bars, etc.

Lactaid is unpredicable and a pain to take each meal. Lucky for me there are probotics such as Digestive Advantage which work miracles.

Do I want manufacturers to lable everything as lactose free or not and end their racist procedure*? Of course not. That'd be lame. They may as well lable for every possible food allergy also. Then the list will be just as long as the one I've provided. It simply means I have a responsibility to watch out for myself - a virtue nearly lost in America.

*Seventy-five percent of all African-Americans and Native Americans are lactose intolerant. Ninety percent of Asian-Americans are lactose intolerant.
Lactose intolerance is least common among people with a northern European heritage. Is this evidence of a racist plot to deny minorities the joy of Snickers or Bratwurst goodness? Unlikely, but it does illustrate how statistics can easily be manipulated. There are far less compelling statistics uesed to demonstrate other so-called "facts".

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
So true! Can you imagine if these manufacturers had to label their products to protect everyone from the simple case of 'not agreeing with a recipe' all the way to those who could die from the slightest bit of a particular ingredient??? Man! Each product would have to come with a book!

I mean, it boggles my mind that Eric has to be careful of that giant list - Going to a place like McDonalds or Dunkin Donuts must be a nightmare because there are no warnings that tell him whether he may be eating something harmful.....yet the WARNING! CONTENTS VERY HOT! has to be plastered all over the side of the cup of coffee. :rolleyes

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Actually MCD's and other restaurants are required to keep a supply of ingredients list very similar to the ones you find on packaged foods - though often they are out when you ask for one. Sometimes you assume something is safe then find out later it is not, like when I had a reaction after eating something as inconspicuous as KFC Chicken.

For me it has been a much better life since I discovered Digestive Advantage LI and other probotics. I wish I had learned of them years earlier.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Man! Those things piss me off SO much! There are so many of these dumbass law suits that I no longer have any sympathy for people anymore, even if they have an actual reason to sue.

It's too bad too because there are plenty of law suits that should be filed but aren't.

Although I guess it makes sense as I pointed out earlier - Most level headed people aren't going to sue over stupid things, so most of these cases are filed by idiots, wackos, and greedy bastards.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
You know, I can see the merits and points of both sides on the Kraft thing. For me, I don't see that little container as anything more than one of Kraft's dips. If it mattered to me and I was incapable of making a guacamole from scratch (the mexican store by me has killer guac's for 0.79) then I'd read the labels and just choose the brand that had the highest content. My way of thinking is somewhat influenced by areas that I've been exposed to coupled with my oldest presently working for an outfit that is every bit as big as Kraft's. Perhaps that is why I don't see it as fraud and deception or even an attempt by Kraft to pull a fast one. Kraft, as well as others, make products for people who either don't have the time, the expertise, or are simply too lazy and inept to make it themselves. The kids grow up saying things like, 'Mom sure knew how to nuke a killer lasagna.'

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt

Interesting. I always assumed I was. I get violently ill about 20 minutes after drinking milk, eating cream based soup or something like cottage cheese. However, milk in baked products doesn't bother me at all.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric

All people are lactose intolerant to some degree depending on how much you consume. Some foods don't bother me as much as others. For example - yogurt is virtually risk free. Non-fat milk is worse than regular milk. Creme is even easier on me. However the cheap processed "cheese" poured over nachos will tear me up and leave me crying for my mommy.

If you want to experement try taking a lactaid pill or two right before you drink some milk and see if that does not fix the problem. If it does then you're in the club. Then you can move to Digestive Advantage LI and take only one pill daily and still eat pizza - but I'd stay away from nacho cheese.

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt

Lactaid works fine for me, so I'd assume I'm in the club. I just find it interesting that some people have to worry about stuff baked into foods and I don't, yet I have extreme reactions to milk in other forms. I eat cheese all the time, but too much pizza can bother me. Odd. One of these days, I'll actually have to consult a doctor about it.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
I'm thinking that a standard lactose assay, with the results printed on the label would be of enormous help here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks