Another series is about to be completed this year...Laverne & Shirley finishes up 5/6/14

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by rmw650, Jan 28, 2014.

1. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
  2. LeoA

LeoA Screenwriter

Leo
    I'm surprised that demand was enough to finish this one out. I figured that season 6 would've done it in.

There must be a lot of completionist out there that bought these most recent seasons for the sake of collecting the full run since I don't think that I've ever seen someone say that they enjoyed these later seasons.

That or we have a lot of Laverne & Shirley fans that never had the opportunity to view these later episodes.

3. bretmaverick2

bretmaverick2 Supporting Actor

Tom Hunter
    If I recall correctly, didn't many of the final season episodes have a title card that, rather than Laverne and Shirley, read 'Laverne and Company'??

And how many episodes of this season was the character of Shirley even in???

4. Kasey

Kasey Second Unit

Kasey
    Cindy Williams only appeared in the first two episodes of Season 8.

The title remained intact until the end, but it was changed to Laverne & Shirley & Company when the show first went into syndication in 1981. (Can anyone explain why, and also why Happy Days Again was the syndicated title of its' parent show around the same time?).

I, too am surprised this is being released. I guess a lot of people have pre-ordered Season 7 and CBS wants to finish off the show. And let's not forget--love it or hate it--this was the Number 1 show in the Nielsen's from 1977-79. Personally, I would have rather had some other shows finished first, but glad to see another one complete from this era. Too bad about the cut scenes on the S6 release, though.

I will be buying this. Despite it being jaw-droppingly awful at times--No Shirl, No Lenny, boring episodes built around Frank or Carmine--there is a great one set in a convent with Louise Lasser and a two-parter that finds Laverne on death row with Laraine Newman of SNL that must be seen to be believed.

5. JMFabianoRPL

JMFabianoRPL Stunt Coordinator

No it stayed "Laverne & Shirley." However, I personally call this season, "Laverne, Where's Shirley?" As my mom said that once when we were first found out that Cindy would no longer be on the show. And it just stuck.

As for the above post, all I know was it was like some kind of rule in the 70s and early 80s that syndie reruns of shows still running on network had to alter their titles.

Back to the OP, if Constantly Butchering cuts "Where You Can Sit Down" from the Death Row episode, I riot. And yes I agree that that was the only L, WS? episode(s) I really liked. Actually, weren't the last 2 seasons music heavy often? I fear what is to be. Like on the L,WS? episode where Laverne's co-worker forms a band...they do a few lines from some popular songs, IIRC.

6. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

Name changes weren't limited to the 70's and 80's. In the 60's The Andy Griffith Show was called Andy of Mayberry on daytime TV. The Dick Van Dyke Show was called The Dick Van Dyke Daytime Show. In the 50's when CBS began rerunning early episodes of I Love Lucy on Sundays at 6:30 PM they renamed it The Lucy Show ( not to be confused with her later sitcom). After Lucy finished in 1957 CBS ran some reruns of the show and renamed it Lucy in Connecticut. The opening of this last show was included as an extra in the complete I Love Lucy box set..
    Bewitched, That Girl, and the Donna Reed show kept their names when they ran in daytime on the network. The name change shows seems to be with shows controlled at the time by the company that has been known as Desilu, Paramount, and Viacom. Perhaps it was their policy. Up until 1970 almost any show that aired on CBS was syndicated by CBS films which became Viacom when it was spun off into a separate company.

An exception to this was Marcus Welby which was aired as Robert Young, Family Doctor when it first was rerun. That show was produced by Universal I believe.

In the 50's The Bob Cummings Show became Love That Bob in syndication and stayed with that name forever in reruns.

Private Secretary with Ann Sothern became "Susie" in syndication.

7. Jack P

Jack P Producer

The rule wasn't relaxed until the 80s. I think the last series I know of in syndication with altered titles because it was still on the air at the time was "The Rockford Files" which was "Jim Rockford, Private Investigator".

8. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    Emergency! was Emergency One. I believe The Beverly Hillbillies became Morning Beverly Hillbillies for a short stretch of time.

9. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Screenwriter

Robert
    Dragnet 5X was Badge 714 in syndication. Some of the prints used for the PD releases have the Badge 714 titles. And, of course, the You Bet Your Life to The Best of Groucho syndicated name change, complete with cigarette burns in the film to cover sponsors or NBC logos.

As for Laverne and *indistinct mumble* season 8... Well, it has Carrie Fisher in a Playboy Bunny outfit, which is only beaten by Slave Leia. So it has that going for it. :rolleyes:

10. Kasey

Kasey Second Unit

Kasey
    As for Laverne and *indistinct mumble* season 8... Well, it has Carrie Fisher in a Playboy Bunny outfit, which is only beaten by Slave Leia. So it has that going for it. :rolleyes:

I wonder if that's where the whole thing started :) If you've seen the National Enquirer recently, you'll get the joke.