What's new

Another reason to avoid XP (1 Viewer)

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
This feature is already installed and running on IE 6.0, it will ASK you if you want to send a bug report, it does not just do it. BTW-if you stop and think about it, when you are doing real work on your pc, are you logged into the internet too? I bet most are not, and if so you can tweak a program such as ZoneAlarm® to BLOCK outbound data just as you can block inbound data. IMHO, I don't like my privacy invaded no more than the next guy, but it seems like everyone is yelling the sky is falling
redface.gif

I will learn more after I get my copy and if I don't like it back to ME 4 me...
patriot.gif

------------------
Regards,
Todd

My HT

Mike Sogge

Stunt Coordinator
Actually... I am going to step out on a limb here and assume that most of the people who will be upgrading to XP also have "always on" broadband connections. However, many of them probably do not have firewall software installed, or if they do, do not know how to properly configure it to block packets from being sent to Microsoft.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
That one was a riot. If you think about it, in order to properly diagnose a crash of any kind, other software and hardware come into play too, so this would go along with MS recording our system config, along with the S/N of XP. Isn't that convenient?
Glenn

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
Whoa, that's some bogus info. Whoever did that report hasn't actually used Windows XP. A simple seach in Windows Help and Support Center for "error reporting" brought up an article that clearly explains how to completely disable error reporting in XP. There's certainly no registry editing required.
Control Panel > System > Advanced tab > Error Reporting
From there, you can select to Disable Error Reporting or Enable Error Reporting either for the Windows Operating System, for Programs (you can choose which programs do or don't get reported on), or both.
(By the way, Windows XP is running great for me. I've only had to report one error so far since I got my new computer last Friday night. And it was my choice to do so!
wink.gif
)
[Edited last by Pete_S on October 23, 2001 at 03:47 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks