What's new

Another "Oldies But Goodies" Receiver Thread... (1 Viewer)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I have two HT rooms, an everyday one and one a little more serious music and movies. In the everyday room, I custom built an entertainment center in one of those 9 foot wide closets with the dual sliding doors (which were removed of course). This ET center was built around an H/K 520 avr, dvd 5, cd 8380 and cdr 20 (and unfortunately, a 35' GE tube tv) all purchased in Jan. 2002. Two years later, when I bought a 55' tv for the front room, I decided to move the 520 there "temporarily". Since then a Pioneer 1014 and an Onkyo 702, both fine receivers, haven't been able to push the 520 back into the everyday room where it belongs. They just didn't sound "right". I just ordered an H/K 435 from j&r which should be here on Monday. I fully expect the 435 to do the job but if it can't, it goes back and a Marantz 8500 or H/K 7300 will be the final contestant. I don't know what it is about the sound 520 that appeals to me but I'm sure it will be with me 'till one of us is put out to pasture.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Seems like we just did this...

Until late last year I was running a Pioneer VSX-D606S First generation Dolby Digital receiver in my main room, which is very large, and a circa 1992 Philips FR930 DPL receiver in the bedroom. I thought I needed a new stereo receiver so I shifted stuff around, the FR930 went into the office to be used as stereo only, which it does very well, the VSX-D606S went to the bedroom (where it kicks butt), and I got a used Integra DTR-7 here on the HTF in the main theater. DD, DTS, THX for DPL. Works great. I have no reason to upgrade anything unless something breaks. As it turns out I didn't need a new stereo receiver so I have my nice one that the Philips replaced for sale here.

BillSuneson

Stunt Coordinator

Huge polk fan, running the LSi 25's LSiC and LSi 9's looking into selling the 25's and getting two pairs of 15's and an SVS sub but thats down the road. If you can swing it get the LSiC, it'll greatly improve imaging with the LSi Mains, by the way which do you have 15/25?

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott

My LSi mains are bookshelves which scream and roar pretty wildly for such models, and they have been working very well with the CSi center and PSW10sub. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks