What's new

Another "need legal advice" thread (1 Viewer)

Marianne

Supporting Actor

I guess I'm not making my point clear. Here are some scenarios:

1. A 76 year old man

2. A pregnant woman

3. A woman with a toddler

4. A woman carrying a baby

5. Two people walking together

A blind spot caused by a roof pillar could temporarily hide each of these scenarios.

If you know you have a blind spot then you should be aware that you have to be extra careful in car parks. I know because I have the same situation with my vehicle so I have to be very vigilant in car parks.

How can any blame be attributed to the pedestrian in a case like this. He saw her stopped so he crossed. She didn't see him and accelerated into him (according to the original post). I'm assuming that any witnesses corroborate this.

At what point is it reckless driving? Does it become more reckless depending on the person or persons you hit? Isn't it reckless to know that you have a blind spot, but not to make allowances for it?

I rest my case! ;)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member

Well now you are getting into the area of implied responsibility and negligence. If we only allowed responsible people to drive cars then we wouldn't have a need for roads, they would be wasted space. You can look at every single accident and say "well you should not have done that". Guess that's why they are called accidents.

mylan

Screenwriter
Well, my dad's case has had a "happy" ending. He is well enough to walk and get around but the knee will never be the same. He has difficulty navagating stairs and cannot get up without using his arms but for a 77 Y.O. man has it better than some.

The claim has been settled and on top of paying all his medical bills, he has about 75K left to "retire" on. We have been trying to find a safe place to put this money to ensure he has enough to live on without exposing it to taxes or risk losing it in the stock market. We were thinking CD's but have another idea: fixed rate annuities, does anyone have any recommedations/reservations about F.R.A.'s?

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
The only problem with a fixed rate annuity, or bonds, or anything else like that right now is if we have massive inflation from all the money the fed has been printing. The more money supply out there, the less it's worth which causes prices to rise. The fed is printing trillions and eventually that's going to make it into circulation which will inflate the dollar and make prices on everything rise again. If your father is stuck in an annuity paying only a certain amount, that money could become worth less and less each year as his living expenses will rise with no rise in the worth of that annuity or bond.

However, with the market like it is right now, you could also see that money fall a significant amount if he were to invest it all.

Your father is 77 already, and depending on how long you think he could live, it may not matter too much about what we're talking about here. How is he living right now, off of social security? At bare minimum, you want to keep about 3-6 months living expenses set aside as an 'emergency fund.' Then, I'd probably invest a portion in some sort of market fund to protect against inflation. If prices rise then stocks will rise with it because those companies can pass off the higher prices onto their customers. If prices fall because of deflation (and pray to God that they do, we could use plenty of lower prices), well then his living expenses should fall as well right? So it shouldn't be too bad. Then the rest can go into an annuity, I just wouldn't put the entire $75k in one thing, with the gov't acting like hooligans you never know what can happen even in the near future.

One company I'm really starting to like is Euro Pacific Capital. Minimum investment is $5k but they will invest it how you need it. They will invest conservatively in solid dividend producing foreign companies so that you automatically get money like in an annuity, but if inflation happens then the prices of those stocks rise as well. So you have inflation protection there. Their website is europac.net.

mylan

Screenwriter
Some good advice here, much appreciated. Aaron, i'll check on that site later when I get the time. I agree that he shouldn't put everything in one place and your point on inflation is well taken.

Users who are viewing this thread