What's new

Another Knight Rider movie, pilot for 2008! - Merged! (1 Viewer)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
The ratings are determined by those households who have a Nielson Ratings box attached to their television sets.

While the movie attracted substantial ratings, I doubt that the series can withstand a television series. I don't see the series lasting for more than one season. Networks are finicky and NBC/Universal has the unforseen habit of canceling television shows before they have a chance to last.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I watched the film a second time the other night. And then, I watched my DVD of Diamonds Aren't a Girl's Best Friend (a Season Two episode from the original series). I thought it was mildly interesting that K.I.T.T. stated in that episode (from the 1980s series) that he had a fear of flying on jets. I guess that was programmed out of the Three Thousand model. ;)

Anyway, I enjoyed the episode. I have the film to thank in a small way for my having viewed the episode from the original series. I will have to revisit these episodes every now and then.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I was surprisingly thinking about this film today in regards to the many who commented that they missed seeing KITT do jumps and Turbo mode.

My thought is that perhaps the producers felt that kind of gimmick is just that, a gimmick. The car is incredible and can go fast and drive itself. It can talk and think. So perhaps the focus is more to the characters.

If it goes to series, I'm sure the suits at NBC wll ask for it and they'll be doing some of that. But with the higher level of sophistication of the audience and the competition, they'll have to make it more real and feel less like it's about stunts. Just my 2 cents.

They cancelled The Bionic Women, and that show had her do her incredible stunts, but those felt more restained and more realistic.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
The orignal Knight Rider jumped because it had Helium in its tires.

Helium. In the tires.

And that fucking "super-pursuit mode" bullshit wasn't even added to the original KR until the show started to tank.

Is this really what people WANT in the show?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The network that's kept Friday Night Lights around despite in the toilet ratings and slowly nurtured "The Office" into a hit from a flop cancels shows before they have a chance? NBC is the last network I'd criticize in regards to that.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Actually, yes. I want KITT to jump - some actual, physical stunts where they twist the hell out of two car frames per week - and I want him to bust through walls and stuff. The *car* is the star of the show, not some angsty emo bastard.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The show feels as whimpy as the original A-Team.

For all the gun fire and bluster from the bad guys, they really only directly kill 1 person (the mother).

The good guys didn't really kill any of the bad guys either. The damage to the van would not have killed any of the people, just like it didnt kill the hostage.

I just hope they make the bad guys actually menacing. If you know they wont actually kill anyone, then there is not any real suspense.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

There are a lot of good reasons to ignore /htf/images/misc/wikipedia.gif Knight Rider 2000:
  • Most people hated it and blocked it from their memory.
  • The year 2000 didn't actually turn out like it did in the movie, so they'd have to explain their way out of that. (Either that or ignore actual history and confuse viewers who hadn't seen or don't remember Knight Rider 2000.)
Perhaps a in a future episode Michael Sr. can tell Jr. about the crazy dream he had where they were cryogenically freezing criminals instead of putting them in jail and Dan Quayle became president and some of KITT's parts were put into some police woman's brain and then he met James Doohan who had played Scotty in the Star Trek TV series and all ten movies.

troy evans

Screenwriter
I think it was done to compete with Dukes of Hazzard who had some kind of jumping stunt almost every week.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

Yes. More then that, actually. I'd prefer KITT sprout wings, cause oil slicks, wipe outs, pull out giant guns from it's trunk, etc.

Look, this is a show based on a RIDICULOUS conceit. A car with an AI so good, that it can manage itself and has feelings. So, if you're going to go that far with something ridiculous, you go all the way or you go home.

That's what made Bionic Woman suck. Either you have camp fun with the concept, you play it up, you make it fun for the viewer, or it's dour, dry and pretty freaking boring. KITT in this episode had all of the charisma of an alarm clock, and the "fun" of this episode could be summed up by saying: well, I didn't fall asleep.

But don't pull a ridiculous camp concept and then not run with it. Damnit, that's what made a lot of these shows hits in the beginning; kids could watch with adults, and laugh and heckle and say "oh, that'd never happen.." and have FUN watching the show. I'm sick of shows with ridiculous concepts that don't play it up.

That's what makes Heros good. It KNOWS it's a ridiculous concept, so why not go all the way? Mass conspiracies, time travel, changing your own past, morphing, everything.. let's throw everything imaginable in, you buy in or not, but damnit, that's the concept.

The Knight Rider concept was like: Well, it's outrageous, but we've got to do everything we can to make it -kind- of believable. Pusha. It's hard to suspend disbelief when a show continuously tries to remind you how close to the "real world" it is, because then it just seems both hokey AND boring.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks