What's new

Another great e-tailer closes shop (European): Benson's World (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
If we still would have a non-R1 regional forum, most posters there would immediately recognize the name of Benson's World, UK.

After the recent closure of The Laser's Edge, based in the US, which shocked many of us, they too have decided to stop.

A great on-line DVD seller, with great and personal service. Although I bought most of my DVDs from the US (R1), there were many occasions I ordered from BW. Especially TV productions (BBC, ITV), but also several movies that weren't released in the US, often "foreign" ones: English or French.

Prices were good, shipping was quick and the rare occasion when something seemed to go wrong in the mail, e-mail (and telephone contact) were always simple, direct and effective.

Apparently, however they also started to feel (the British) Amazon breathing in their necks, as well as a steadily general decline of DVD sales. Today I received this e-mail (I removed the e-mail address from this post):

Sad, but many thanks to a very good online business, many thanks to Ron Benson and his team!

Cees

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The first Region 2 disc I bought was from Benson's World. Sad to see them go (though I have been guilty as well of buying from Amazon.UK).

Serega_M

Agent
Got this letter today as well - and was really sad about their decision, although can understand it. So - as I've exclusively was ordering only from them from UK - can anybody recommend me another UK e-tailer with good prices and cheap international shipping? BlackStar, Amazon.Uk?

Sammy-G

Stunt Coordinator
I regularly use blahdvd.com for my R2 DVDs and import CDs. They used to have free international shipping but they recently stopped that - still very reasonable though and great customer service.

Irina

Second Unit
Real Name
Irina
I am also sorry that BensonsWorld will stop operating.

For my UK purchases, I use Find DVD - Compare DVD prices from dozens of UK retailers for price comparison.

I make most of my UK DVD purchases through Amazon.co.uk: low prices in Electronics, Books, Music, DVDs & more. They deduct VAT tax and most of the time, their prices, are the best. The saving becomes really significant when one orders box sets or more than one DVD.

I also like sendit.com located in Ireland. They are located in Ireland. The service is very reliable and quick. Their customer service is great, too.

I have also used BlahDVD.com: Shop online for cheap DVDs, CDs, Games, Books, Music Downloads & MP3 Players. They are quick and reliable. Until recently, their shipping to the US was free.

I also like HMV.com: Music CDs, DVDs, Games & More.

I would not, on the other hand, recommend dvdi.co.uk - their customer service is horrible and their delivery, even though free, is incredibly slow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks