3D Another doom and gloom prediction....3-D

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Dick, Jan 8, 2013.

1. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    I must have over 40 3-D titles that I purchased for $6 to $19.99 each. Although I'm starting to wait to see if they are on the HBO or STARZ free on demand 3D list before I purchase.

2. Yorkshire

Yorkshire Screenwriter

Steve
    Sky is interesting.

In the UK they've been pretty much at the forefront of TV technology - widescreen, digital, interactive, 3D, and so on.

Reading between the lines, even their figures on uptake aren't brilliant. But they appear to be saying that they think the public will respond more positively when glasses-free 3D arrives.

I'm not convinced we're going to get that any time soon, and even if we do I can already see it being less than perfect. The problems we're seeing with convergence, ghosting, etc with just two images is already a problem - I can't even begin to imagine what it'll look like with multiple viewers from different angles, potentially moving about.

I think Sky probably believe that staying with current 3D will give them a big start over the BBC when glasses-free eventually arrives.

In a country of 30 million+ households, 500,000 isn't an awful lot.

Steve W

3. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Me too. Sales almost exclusively. $20 has been my magic price point with the occasional exception. I've paid $15 several times for a 3D title. I did pay $25 plus (I think) for Avatar, but that was...well...that was Avatar.

4. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Glasses free 3D reminds me of a demo I saw on broadcast tv that must be more than 20 years ago. There were no HD TVs, no LEDs, just a standard 4x3 TV. It was a news article about a new technology. They showed about a 20 second or less clip and it worked. It was like looking through a window and there was real depth. No special equipment, this was coming in over a standard broadcast signal.

However the picture pulsated. To watch a 1/2 hour program would have been migraine inducing. It was a demo of a technology and I never heard about it again.

5. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    Toshiba have a 55 inch 3D LCD ( LED backlit ) TV selling for £2999, it does not require glasses, it's resolution is 3840 x 2160, higher than 1080p, cheap for such a high resolution and glasses free tech, unfortunately reviews all mention that you need to watch in a pretty tight viewing angle and not move your head while viewing 3D, not a problem for me as it's wise not to move your head while watching with active shutter glasses too, there seems to be other issues too, perhaps they will iron them all out in the next five years or so.

http://www.cnet.com/8301-33379_1-57358345/toshiba-glasses-free-3d-tv-demo-it-works-just-not-very-well/

http://www.trustedreviews.com/toshiba-55zl2-glasses-free-3d-tv_TV_review

The price above says £6999, at John Lewis it says £2999, same TV...? Looks like it to me, the B just stands for UK model, of course the fact it's 4K is pointless because it cannot playback 4K native content, what a mistake by Toshiba.

http://www.johnlewis.com/toshiba-55zl2b-led-4x-1080p-hd-glasses-free-3d-smart-tv-55-with-freeview-hd/p231549250

tele1962 likes this.
  6. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    I don't think there will be a large market for glasses free 3-D TV's. I have seen them recently and the 3-D does not work as you move around and there is nothing come out of the screen. The people that will be looking for only depth 3-D and no glasses is very small.

7. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    They need to find a way to get 3D popout without glasses, not sure that's possible but they need to find a way.

8. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned

EricJ
    I remember haters originally sniggering "3DTV...Is that going to look like those lenticular waterfall pictures you see on the wall at cheap Chinese restaurants? :lol: "

No--THAT would be glasses-free TV.

Stephen_J_H likes this.
  9. Towergrove

Towergrove Screenwriter

Sarah
    I find it Interesting that many on internet message boards that say they hate 3D because of the heavy uncomfortable 3D glasses laud Google Glass, which is much heavier and uncomfortable to the face and praise it as if its the second coming. :3dglasses:

10. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    I love 3D and have to wear the glasses over my prescription short sighted ones.

Towergrove likes this.