Another Close Call!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Julie K, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Well, we had another close call and only found out 3 days after close approach. This one would have been Tunguska sized - enough to destroy a city.
    Read about it here.

2. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

wow....too bad we really couldn't anything if we knew it was gonna hit us

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

New ammo for those who get sick and tired of people who mindlessly badmouth spending money on space travel, manned and unmanned.

It's time for humanity to leave, as Konstantine Tsiokolvsky would have put it, the "cradle." Our eggs are in but one basket presently, and that is not acceptable.

Thanks for the link, Ms. K.

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Dude, I'm no space / astronomy expert, but...
    isn't 75000 miles pretty f@#kin' close? [​IMG]
    I for one have never complained about NASA funding or space exploration / observation, and I'm not about to start.

5. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

yes, very close.
    realize that many, many things fall to earth each day, most burn up in the atmosphere or fall harmlessly away from any population. but it does occur.
    it isn't a question of if we will be hit by a large object, but when. when may be 1000 years from now, or tomorrow. take heart that nothing we can do at this time, given our technology today, can prevent it.
    so, sit back and enjoy life, it if ends, you won't know it anyway [​IMG]

6. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I'm still waiting for a big one.

Didn't one almost hit us last year that had like a 120 year orbit??

Brent

7. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

8. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Heaven forbid a catastrophe, but if we do have a minor impact, may it be on that radio station's headquarters while those "nimrods" are on-air. [​IMG]
    Just kidding of course, I don't wish harm on any fellow human, no matter how nimrod-ish they may be. [​IMG]

9. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

10. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

What amazes me is that something so relatively small (50-120 yards wide) would not hit due to the Earth's gravity.

11. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

75,000 miles is inside the Moon's orbit. That is extremely close.

Most of the effort in tracking objects that could pose a threat to the planet goes into finding the civilization-destroyers or dino-killers. This is for the simple reason that the smaller objects, like this one, are so faint that they are almost impossible to find until they are right on top of us (or just passed us.) However, if you are in the city that one of these small objects hits, it doesn't really matter that it's not a world-buster. You'll still be dead. Some of the worst dangers of these small city-busters are, IMO, itchy nuclear trigger fingers in whatever country got whacked.

It's a big, bad universe out there and if we really care about the continuation of H. sapiens we have to get to other planets. Another dino-killer will hit some day (if we don't see and deflect it first), the climate will change regardless of what we do (and those changes have been every bit as devastating to life on this planet as the dino-killer sized asteroids have been - in some cases even worse.) If we want any chance at all we simply must expand into the rest of the solar system and beyond.

12. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

13. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

IN a way I actually want an object the size of the one that just missed us to hit the Earth as soon as possible. Obviously I don't hope for it to hit a populated area, but such an impact (preferably captured on film) might just wake up the "uninformed" amongst us who stand in the way of increased space exploration.

14. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

As Julie mentioned, most of the efforts are directed towards much larger rocks. A surprising number of smaller rocks come close, but the risk to mankind is similar to a large earthquake. After all, there's not a lot we can do about those, either.

15. Mark Murtha

Mark Murtha Auditioning

In rare form, I'm posting twice today. [​IMG]
    I have to agree with Ron on his point.
    And I have a question - How will an impact of this size cause people to want to move off this planet? Wouldn't that mean we'd have two targets that are filled with people instead of one? We didn't even notice this asteroid until it passed us by.
    I'm just attempting to point out another possible viewpoint. I think it would be cool to visit another planet, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. And an impact of this scale might not have the affects mentioned above. Rather, it might scare people and turn them off exploration and turn them to planet earth defense.
    Just my $0.02.
    Mark

16. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

two possible targets means that if one gets obliterated by one of the millions of much larger rocks out there, people can still live on the other "target".

17. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

18. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

19. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

20. StephenK

StephenK Stunt Coordinator