What's new

Another Argento Question... Sort Of (1 Viewer)

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Why is "The Stendhal Syndrome" a Troma release??
Troma had nothing to do with this film, right? Why this particular movie? Why a Troma release of an Argento film? Why oh why?? Sorry, I was ranting. But, seriously... I normally associate Troma with cheesy stuff like Tromeo and Juliet, why The Stendhal Syndrome?
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
North American video rights for the film are available to the highest bidder.....Troma was the highest bidder, which most likely means that no-one else wanted the film.
------------------
Link Removed

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Well, I don't own the DVD, but I do know that Lloyd Kaufman--who owns and runs Troma--is a massive Argento fan. Perhaps he wanted his label to have a bit of broader appeal, hence gaining the home video rights to Syndrome.
Unfortunately, from what I've heard, the DVD and the movie are both below par. So neither Argento fans or Troma DVD fans are happy.
(And don't knock Troma! They may be cheesy, but dammit, I love a lot of their films! :) )
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Miamax bought the rights, cut 20 minutes from it, sat on it, never leased it, then Troma bought it, releasing it uncut, from a foreign transfer that was converted from PAL.
I am a big Argento fan, but I vote thumbs way
icon13.gif
on this one.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
This is one of the many titles Troma should not even have the rights to.
The video quality of the DVD, imo, is just god awful. Also, some people have said that this is a pan & scan transfer matted to 1.66:1 to make it look like widescreen (as Lloyd "I'm A Fucking Hack" Kaufman says all Troma films should be in 1.33:1, take for example New Gladiators which is in 1.33:1, but was shot in 2.35:1). The DD 2.0 is okay, sounds a bit "boomy" through. The extras are somewhat decent. I'm still a bit sad that I spent $18 on this title (it's a good movie, but the DVD is so lacking). Hopefully one day Troma will go bankrupt and somebody like Anchor Bay or Synapse can snatch up this title and do it properly.
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

Lafe F

Second Unit
It's a bit sad how the Troma logo is tacked on to the Stendhal Syndrome trailer - as if their studio made the film. I guess they can do what they want. (On a sidenote, the trailers had a much lower audio level than the feature and menus.) The interviews with Dario and the others were painful to watch. The subtitling on those interviews was broken up at unnatural places, making the dialogue very hard to follow. Other than the above, Stendhal is a good disc.

M

MaxY

Matthew,
I just got New Gladiators the other day and it was really sad how Troma handled that movie. Oh man I wish that Anchor Bay had done that title. I don't mind when troma F's up their own movies but please don't F with Fulci's. :)
BTW anyone else see where the idea of The Running Man came frome when watch New Gladitors?
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!
[Edited last by MaxY on September 24, 2001 at 08:40 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks