What's new

Another Adventure (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Some of you remember my earlier bout with an elevated and paralyzed right diaphragm. I had surgery for that and by now was hoping to be running again. Just when I'd reached to point in my recuperation to begin running I pinched a nerve or pulled a muscle in my right (the right side again) butt and could hardly walk for nearly a month. Then I start walking and come down with what my doctor termed "walking pneumonia." That was 10 days ago and I need 3-4 days to get rid of it totally. Then maybe I can start walking/running?

Nope. A short time ago I had a routine colonoscopy. It was routine until we got the results I have a tumor in my large intestine and a biopsy has shown it to be malignant. It's small, but the surgeon we saw yesterday said size isn't the important part. It's the level of aggressiveness, is it low or high? Has it penetrated the wall of the intestine to the outside of the organ. That wouldn't be could.

So I'm scheduled for surgery the 26th of this month, early in the morning. If there are no complications I will be in the hospital four days. Much to my surprise the surgery will be laparoscopic if circumstances permit. That means less pain and less recuperation. The surgeon can't guarantee it since He won't know till he looks inside. He also won't know how much of the colon he will remove until he looks inside.

If this were a movie, we could dissolve from the consult with the surgeon to me being wheeled into the surgery, to me waking up in recovery, and the doctor giving us the good news. All this would be over in under two hours, but tough beans, it's not a movie. The best news is that it didn't penetrate the wall on the colon, that only a small section (8-10") of the colon was removed, and that it was stage 1 which means no chemo. The only thing the surgery will immediately reveal is the amount of colon removed. The rest is about 2 days for the biopsy to come back.

I'm a glass if half full kind of guy, so I'm optimistic. Also I got a bonus out of the colonoscopy, my FIRST tattoo. The gastro doc marked the location of the tumor with a tattoo. Even though he did it from inside the colon, the surgeon will see it from the outside of the colon. If I had known he was going to tattoo me, I would have asked for a Robby the Robot.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
image.jpeg

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I'm betting thing will come out better in the end ..
Robby%20plays%20blackjack%20copy.gif

especially with your positive attitude :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm sure whatever happens, Johnny...you can have the doctor's mark turned into something like this:

images

And colons are over-rated. And all I mean by that is that I've had most of mine removed (for mechanical malfunctions) and everything operates just fine. So, no worries there.

Stay positive and take it all on one day at a time. It's important to just go with the hand you are being dealt when it comes to your health. Peg and I will be sure to lift you up in prayer. Godspeed.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Johnny, right there with you. I go in the 20th for back surgery. Ruptured disc pressing on the nerves, and like you, hits me right in the butt, or the left butt cheek to be accurate. I can't even walk without pain meds.

Same situation, they'll go in, could be a quick outpatient thing, or could be a few days in the hospital, they won't know until they open me up. My first real surgery where they slice me open. Yuck. I've had my appendix out, knee and rotator cuff surgeries, but all were done with small incisions, the laparoscopic technique. This will be a 4-5 inch cut through my skin, muscles, etc. Not looking forward to it, particularly that they'll be cutting so close to my nerves.

But I've been living on pain pills since April, I can't stand them, so this has to be done. Docs have done everything possible, surgery is always the last solution, but that's where I'm at.

Kind of pales compared to what you're going through. I wish you the best and hope things work out well.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
So you're going in with : and coming out with ;
Should be a straight forward, so long as your surgeon knows his grammar

I'll just let that wash over you...

Johnny, I'm sorry to hear of you tough news. I hope this goes well and smooth and you come out on the mend!

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm betting thing will come out better in the end ..
Robby%20plays%20blackjack%20copy.gif

especially with your positive attitude :)
Interesting, I couldn't see your pic until I quoted you. Actually things won't be coming out better in the end, they should be coming out of laparoscopic hole in my tummy. But I do get the gist of your (groan) pun. :)

I'm sure whatever happens, Johnny...you can have the doctor's mark turned into something like this:

images

And colons are over-rated. And all I mean by that is that I've had most of mine removed (for mechanical malfunctions) and everything operates just fine. So, no worries there.

Stay positive and take it all on one day at a time. It's important to just go with the hand you are being dealt when it comes to your health. Peg and I will be sure to lift you up in prayer. Godspeed.
Yeah, I could dig that tattoo. I love your comments about the colon. The surgeon said it's main function is to absorb water.
So you're going in with : and coming out with ;
Should be a straight forward, so long as your surgeon knows his grammar

I'll just let that wash over you...

Johnny, I'm sorry to hear of you tough news. I hope this goes well and smooth and you come out on the mend!
Took me a moment, but I got it. I like it.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Funny how sometimes you don't immediately think to ask an important question. I told the surgeon I had a paralyzed diaphragm and he took it in stride. However I wish I had asked if there was any surgical risk to my left diaphragm, it's the only one that works and I don't want it to be damaged.

I'm waiting on a return call from him. I don't think of this surgery as optional and I think he will at least say there is risk in any surgery (he already has). However I need to know what risk there is to my left diaphragm. There's no spare tire in the trunk.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Some of you remember my earlier bout with an elevated and paralyzed right diaphragm. I had surgery for that and by now was hoping to be running again. Just when I'd reached to point in my recuperation to begin running I pinched a nerve or pulled a muscle in my right (the right side again) butt and could hardly walk for nearly a month. Then I start walking and come down with what my doctor termed "walking pneumonia." That was 10 days ago and I need 3-4 days to get rid of it totally. Then maybe I can start walking/running?

Nope. A short time ago I had a routine colonoscopy. It was routine until we got the results I have a tumor in my large intestine and a biopsy has shown it to be malignant. It's small, but the surgeon we saw yesterday said size isn't the important part. It's the level of aggressiveness, is it low or high? Has it penetrated the wall of the intestine to the outside of the organ. That wouldn't be could.

So I'm scheduled for surgery the 26th of this month, early in the morning. If there are no complications I will be in the hospital four days. Much to my surprise the surgery will be laparoscopic if circumstances permit. That means less pain and less recuperation. The surgeon can't guarantee it since He won't know till he looks inside. He also won't know how much of the colon he will remove until he looks inside.

If this were a movie, we could dissolve from the consult with the surgeon to me being wheeled into the surgery, to me waking up in recovery, and the doctor giving us the good news. All this would be over in under two hours, but tough beans, it's not a movie. The best news is that it didn't penetrate the wall on the colon, that only a small section (8-10") of the colon was removed, and that it was stage 1 which means no chemo. The only thing the surgery will immediately reveal is the amount of colon removed. The rest is about 2 days for the biopsy to come back.

I'm a glass if half full kind of guy, so I'm optimistic. Also I got a bonus out of the colonoscopy, my FIRST tattoo. The gastro doc marked the location of the tumor with a tattoo. Even though he did it from inside the colon, the surgeon will see it from the outside of the colon. If I had known he was going to tattoo me, I would have asked for a Robby the Robot.

So was surgery on the 26th? Or like my spinal operation, postponed again. Very different issue with me and will be my first surgery that isn't laparoscopic, but in many ways, similar to your situation with the nerve problem. Could be a quickie outpatient thing, or I stay in hospital for a few days, won't know until he gets inside, the MRIs, etc. aren't really all that reliable. Good starting point, but don't always show the whole situation. Had my colonoscopy in June, no issues, so thankfully good for another five years. Not a pleasant procedure, mainly because they miscalculated the anesthetic and I woke up a few minutes to early.

My nerve issue has also started to turn into a double whammy. Tore the meniscus in my knee about 30 years ago, operations in '96 and '04. After the last operation, was told they're not really fixing anything, just removing torn pieces and I have very little left. Next operation would be a knee replacement. 12 years of being really careful, low impact exercising, no running, etc. but it's back. Swollen, filled with fluid, not looking forward to what I think the answer will be. I'm hoping it will settle down and I can go a few more years, but who knows.

As a warning to all, if you've read some of my other posts, know that I'm taking care of a pit-bull for a neighbor. She was hospitalized with pneumonia last week, never recovered and passed away a few days ago. It can be a very serious illness. Still have the dog, where the story goes now, I have no idea.

Like to think of myself as also very optimistic, but it's been terrible the past few months.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks