What's new

Announcement: Warner Home Video Blu-Ray Loyalty and HD-DVD Trade Up Program (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I mean, there's no denying that it's paying money for the same 1s and 0s people already own and can still use. Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "marks" right there, but I didn't mean it to be insulting to specific people - if the program looks like a scam (which I think is a valid perspective), that's the word that goes with it.

If people feel like they're getting something out of this, great. I'll direct my money at movies I don't already own in HD.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Why the need to keep posting in a thread about the upgrade program if you're happy with the HDDVDs you have? That's great, I'm happy for you.

But some peole seem determined to 'win' in their argument that this is not a good deal. If something holds no interest for you and you don't plan to get involved, why are you posting over and over that you don't think it's right for you?

Of course the real agenda is to try to persuade people it's not a good deal.
It's like hearing someone say they like a certain movie and naming a dozen reasons why it's not really a good movie.

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
Masterful marketing gimmick by WB to get early adopters to fork over another $5.00 plus S&H for the same title again...

Thanks but no thanks, I'll keep my hd-dvds, many purchased at bargain prices, by the time my two players finally give out I will be tired of re-watching these HD-DVD movies, and by then I'll be able to pick up the same titles on Blu at bargain bins for the same price as the "swap" fee or for less...

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Round and round and round...

Jeez, I'm picking up the rekindled odor of the format war.

Is it a matter of particular people just having to get in the last word?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Okay, so, I took advantage of the Red2Blue program. I am
sitting here with a desk full of HD-DVD cover artwork awaiting the
confirmation email with my prepaid label(s).

Since I included the Harry Potter Years 1-5 set, I don't know
if I will get a separate shipping label for that or not.

During the upgrade process I was surprised to find that neither
Willy Wonka or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory were
available on Blu-ray.

Anyhow, not a bad deal at all. Thank you Warner for the opportunity.

PS: I hope Eyes Wide Shut on BD is the uncut version

Ensign Eddie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
I sent them an email asking about handling collections (and Harry Potter in particular). Their response was to follow the Program Rules UNLESS there are Special Instructions.

Nick Totoro

Stunt Coordinator

I hate to "groundhog post," but I actually saw T3 on BD at my local Wegmans (of all places) for $9.99. Is it possible they have gotten some of the old catalog... ?

Nick

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
I think this is way cool of WB....thanks guys.

I am sending off 25 titles today...including Sopranos Season Six part 1 and part 2, the Harry Potter Boxed Set, and Smallville Season 6.

BTW...if anybody is scanning cover art....

I NEED A COPY OF BRUCE ALMIGHTY...my case was destroyed. Please email me if you can help me out. thanks. [email protected]

Ensign Eddie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott

I notice that Galapagos is also missing now. My guess is that BBC America had WB pull both of them from the offer (I remember seeing Galapagos on the list early on just like Planet Earth).

I wonder if they will accept the orders that got in before those were pulled.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
To begin: I'm not one of those who've been critical of WB for making this offer. It seems to be (especially when it started) a good deal for willing participants. I placed an order early on, when the selections and prices were at their best.

But due to all of the rapid fire changes in title offerings and prices, it's beginning to seem that WB had not thought through this offering very well in advance. This seems especially obvious when the program rules state an automatic end date of December 31, 2009, unless terminated prior to that date. And here it took only a handful of days for them to start pulling titles and raising prices. To me, it's beginning to look like poor planning and poor communication within WB. Now they seem to be retracting, and in a hurry.

My inserts haven't had time to reach them yet, and indeed I don't have the confirmation email that such has taken place. Perhaps I'm being premature, and in fact I am rather jaded...but I'm beginning to wonder how much of my purchase will transpire as originally offered. You know how all of these kind of offers are covered in fine print. Virtually every phase and detail is at their sole discretion.

I'll certainly update here if things don't come to advertised fruition. Seems to me that WB should have planned well enough not to have to make so many changes to the offer so early in the game.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
I have no HD-DVD titles, so what I know about the program pretty much comes from this thread. But is it possible that they've simply run through their allocated stocks--especially for popular programs like Planet Earth?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I don't understand how people are being critical of this offer.

WB is only charging you $5 to upgrade each Blu-ray title, and to
top that off, you get to KEEP your HD-DVD disc.

I wish Paramount and Universal would implement the same program.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

I'm not criticizing the fact that the offer was made, the way so many others have. I've disagreed with most of those reactions. In fact, I took part in the program, though barely into the process, as in haven't received my receipt notification from WB yet.

The questions I'm asking are of a completely different nature, and are in regard to the several changes in product offering and price increases, this early in the game. Sounds like poor planning on the part of WB, that risks disappointing large numbers of people who would otherwise take part in their offer.

Call me jaded, perhaps I've just been around too long and seen too many promotions handled poorly over the years, but it will be interesting to see if people who placed early orders have trouble getting the more generous parts of it fulfilled as indicated. Evidently WB thought better of some of those offers and pulled or modified them within a very few days.

I'm just thinking out loud about the whole process, and saying "this should be interesting" to watch transpire. We're probably a few weeks away from seeing any of those early orders ship to customers.

I was very happy to have the offer, especially as it originated, and I too hope that other studios offer similar deals. However, in light of some of the early changes in the WB offer, I doubt that other studios will be as generous right out of the starting gate, as WB's was.

Maybe a few of those offers were a little too good. But again, that indicates poor planning and potentially disappointed customers when the offer gets modified or pulled.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Neither have I, and my guess is it will take a while. The address is a "Postage Due" Unit, and tracking says my envelope is already there. The envelopes probably get collected there and transferred to WBShop in a bunch for processing. I don't expect to hear anything for several weeks. (I have two titles whose upgrade prices increased after I submitted my order.)

Ensign Eddie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Ron,

I hope you don't think I was being critical. I was just offering up a possible explanation for why Planet Earth disappeared.

This offer is definitely above and beyond anything WB was required to do and I appreciate that. Even if I don't take advantage of it (but I plan to as soon as I can find some of the required items), I will remember this gesture to their customers.

But I still wish they hadn't used the word "upgrade". :laugh:

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
I also have my order confirmation...I'm talking about the one they send you after your cover art arrives. So, the order is in a very early stage.

It has been my experience, over the years, that any promotional offer, or any parts and pieces of it, can be retracted or substituted without reason and without prior notice. The approach of: "It's a deal of our own making, and you'll take what we give you."

Like I said earlier: it's premature, but thinking back on years of promotions, the fact that WB have made substantial changes so quickly, make me wonder how thoroughly considered their offer was in the first place.

In short: I'll be completely confident about the deal, as existed when my order was placed, after the product is in my hand.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Ditto, especially Uni - I've no more Paramount HD DVD's left. I've got Children of Men HD DVD up on Ebay and I'll be lucky to get $5 for it. I'd love to be able to upgrade to the BD for just $5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks