What's new

Anne of Green Gables DVD? (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I've seen a DVD out there somewhere...someone told me it was an R1 Canadian import but that it had obvious compression artifacting and wasn't a good quality (image wise) disc.
I also heard that this (series?) feature might be released in the US market offically with better picture...kind of like what's going on with Pride and Prejudice.
any input? Should I get the Canadian version or wait for something improved in the US?
Also, knowing that I loved this production along with Pride and Prejudice by the BBC, if you have any other recommendations I'd love to hear!
-dave

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The Canadian version was released by the production company, Sullivan Films, and it looks like they used their VHS master tape as the source, since it exhibits a fair amount of edge enhancement that would probably look quite good when downgraded onto VHS (meaning the softening would probably make it look right).
Considering they are the originators of the series, I would be surprised if a new version were released, however stranger things have happened. They would need to do a new transfer at the minimum. It just looks overly sharp as is.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Scott Barnhart

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Sullivan Entertainment has released two versions (and they are the only two available so far) of this movie. The first was basically film-only, and looked horrible. I will defer the technical explanations of why to someone else, but to me it looked overly-compressed, blocky and horrible. The VHS is almost preferable IMO, but luckily I have my LD which is better than the DVD.
The second incarnation is the "Digitally Remastered Special Edition", which I have not yet bought. However, from what I have heard from those who have, it is not any better video-quality-wise. It does contain special features, though. "Anne of Avonlea" was also released at this time. Now the third Anne movie is also about to be released on DVD.
If you go to http://www.anne3.com and look in the "Anne 3" forum, there are some threads that address the various DVD releases.
As for me, I will stick with my LD's of the first 2 and the VHS of the 3rd until Sullivan gets its act together and does a good job on these classics.
------------------
Scott Barnhart
[email protected]
[Edited last by Scott Barnhart on August 17, 2001 at 07:29 PM]

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Thanks for the heads up Scott, I only have the first one. They probably just added commentary and the other stuff onto the previous masters, which is a shame as this is a great series with wonderful imagery which deserves better.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Robert George

Screenwriter
Actually, the second remastered version is considerably better quality than the first releases which is, on a large screen monitor, virtually unwatchable. I wouldn't call it a great looking transfer, but at least I can watch it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks