What's new

Anime (1 Viewer)

USSValor

Auditioning
Real Name
Val Lorien
Where is a good place where I can get recommendations on Anime AND watch them??

I have pretty much exhausted the good Anime series on Netflix and I'm wanting more. I don't mind paying for it. I just want good content.

Afiger

Agent
Real Name
Daniel
Did you try Hulu? There's also a lot of anime channels available online. Just try googling anime channels and it should give you a hefty list to choose from. I don't really know what type of anime's you like so it is difficult to give any recommendations.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
There's barely any anime left on Netflix, but what there is is already available on HuluPlus--And since it gathers together several of the anime streaming channels in one place, Hulu right now offers a better selection of current titles than even the top streaming-anime channels Funimation.com and Crunchyroll.

My own recommendations for relative beginners (may include Netflix, as I can't recall what's on Hulu at the moment):
- Slayers and Slayers Next: A silly blending of screwball comedy and D&D fantasy
- xxxHolic: A stylized mixture of humor, ghost story and eerie surrealistic creeps
- Galaxy Express 999: One of THE iconic Old-School Classics of all anime, mixing retro space opera with child's-eye view fairytale
- Robotech: Another pillar of anime history, in its US 80's-dubbed form that a generation of baby-boomers remember.
- Bodacious Space Pirates: Okay, finished giggling at the title? What's inside turns out to be a fun and upbeat "Firefly for girls" space-action series
- Princess Tutu: Another title you'll just have to take our word on: What starts out as "Sailor Moon at ballet school" turns into a dark, abstract-stylized fantasy, without losing its little-girl appeal.
- Sword Art Online: What if you suddenly found out World of Warcraft was for real?
- Tenchi Universe and sequel Tenchi in Tokyo: Another great icon of 90's anime, the affectionately silly sci-fi sitcom that invented an entire genre of anime.

Crackle.com doesn't have much, but it does have two Sony acquisitions that, for one rights-issues reason or another, couldn't go to Blu-ray, and are now the best kept secrets on streaming-TV:
- Nodame Cantabile: A smart, snarky, and occasionally silly romantic comedy about two very opposite prodigies at a small-time music-performance college
- Valkyria Chronicles: Based on the crack-addictive Playstation 3 game, the saga of war in a fictitous WWI-Europe village.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Friends recommend CrunchyRoll for anime. http://www.crunchyroll.com/I saw that Kotaku.com is recommending and reviewing anime series. Might have some interesting ideas there. My friends lent me Haibane Renmei, as a favorite of theirs. I'm slowly watching (its a very slow start, but suggests a strong story to come)

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
DaveF said:
Friends recommend CrunchyRoll for anime.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/
Crunchyroll is probably the best at what it does, in that it offers high-quality subbed, but what they do is specialize in next-day offering what's currently on the Japanese air NOW, ie. in this season and the last.
And while there are some good shows there (like Sword, Bodacious, Folktales From Japan, Is This a Zombie? and Kokoro Connect), you have to be fairly up and informed about your new series to know what the heck to watch. Not as many of the vintage classics for newbies to jump into or catch up on, and some of the new series aren't quite what they used to be in the 90's/early 00's.
Might want to sample a bit of Hulu and a bit of CR, and see where your tastes go. (Funimation.com however, has no box-app, and a browser so bugged-up it's made fans want to firebomb the company.)

In the category of "50 Anime Classics To Watch Before You Die", however , Nozomi/RightStuf used to promote its DVD-boxset release of the classic 80's Dirty Pair TV series (imagine the old "Totally Spies" cartoon with bigger guns) by uploading the 26 episodes on YouTube, but is now sadly down to two episodes only:

(In my day, this show hooked new anime fans within minutes. :D )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks