What's new

Anime Fans - "Blood: The Last Vampire" (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -
not sure if this has been discussed, but it looks like the makers of 'ghost in the shell' (one of my all-time favorites) is releasing a new anime called 'Blood: The Last Vampire'.
here's the link:
http://www.bloodthemovie.com/
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
From what I've heard the show itself looks great but they cram too much into to little. The movie is only 48 minutes long!!!

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
__________________________________________________ _________
DVD Special features
16x9 anamorphic digital transfer
Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound
In English/Japanese
English Subtitles
Bonus feature "The Making of Blood"
Original Japanese Trailers
Image Gallery
DVD Rom
Web Links
Unrated. Contains Graphic Violence. Parental Discretion Advised.
Total Running Time: 85 minutes.
__________________________________________________ _________
I think the movie is 85 minutes long, not 48.
Rhett

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thanks guys...hopefully this'll rock! i'm definitely looking forward to it!
:)
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Chris Sypal

Stunt Coordinator
"From the creators of Ghost in the Shell".
True, it is done by Production IG, the same studio that did "Ghost" along with Patlabor 2, and more recently FLCL and Jin-Roh. The director, Hiroyuki Kitabuko, was the director on Ghost in the Shell... the video game. I believe Mamoru Oshii was just a producer.
It's a nice little film, even for it's short length. Yes, the movie is in fact 48 minutes long. I don't know where the 84 minute length above came from.
It'll be interesting to see how Manga can mess this one up. Their track record on DVD's has been pretty horrible recently. I'm never buying anything from them again, unless I hear good reviews. I'm not going to get screwed by them again.
Any a few things to add. The movie has parts in English and parts in Japanese. An interesting concept that's nicely used. The Japanese release is subtitled, which makes it worth it to get the Japanes release as there are some great extras on it. In fact, here are a couple reviews.
http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews/region2/blood-2.htm http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews/region2/blood-1.htm
[Edited last by Chris Sypal on August 10, 2001 at 12:35 AM]

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Um,
The movie is ONLY 48 minutes long. There are some supplements which will increase the length of the DVD to 80 some minutes (there's about 30 some minutes of additional supplementary materials).
I own the R2 DVD Limited Ed. Boxset...trust me on this.
K.C.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
So am I to understand that a 48 min. movie was released in theaters in Japan and people still paid to go see it? Man, if I paid $8.50 over here and the movie was only 48 min., I'd hold the concession stand zombie hostage until they spooled up another film!

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Because of the success of Blood: The Last Vampire in Japan, Production I.G. will be making a sequel to the movie in due time.
In addition, Blood, since it is pretty short, was probably double-billed with another animation. I wouldn't know what animation that would have been. Usually short animated movies tend to be double-billed with another animation in Japan.
K.C.

SteveBjr

Stunt Coordinator
Watched this film last night. The story was good and the sound on this disc was awesome. Still haven't watched all the extras on it yet but if you like Anime this is a good buy.
------------------
Steve,
DVD Collection

DanSt

Stunt Coordinator
I watched this DVD over at my friends house on release day and was absolutely stunned. Visuals and Sound are FANTASTIC!! This is the way all anime should be done. Of course, the shortness factor was kind of a downer. We couldn't believe it was over. I still have tons of unanswered Q's. I can't wait for the sequel.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It's quite common for so-called anime "movies" to be 50 minutes in length. In Japan, if it's shown in a theater, even if it's 3 minutes long, it's a movie. If I remember correctly, Toei used to have a roadshow going every summer where they'd show the latest DragonBall, Sailor Moon, and whatever else they had running at the time "movies". All were 50min long
Jeff Kleist

William K

Stunt Coordinator
First off, what a great movie and I'm really glad I bought it to add to the small list of Anime on my dvd shelf!
I bought the DVD this week based on the good "buzz" (you know.. the internet?) and the fact that it was sold out in two days on several dvd sites. I got home that night and watched it with my girlfriend, who isn't normally into anime, and we both loved it! In fact, this was the first movie in a long long time where we both turned and said "That's it? That's the movie? This has got to be chapter 1 right?".
Right?
Nope.
I checked the case and dispite it saying it had a running time of 83 minutes, it was really only 45. I thought for sure that I had to simply scan through the menus to find the rest of it, was I stunned to find otherwise.
This movie really did leave me wanting more. It had an interesting, albiet thin hodgepodge, plot, top shelf animation (Japan's first use of digital filming in a feature anime... even thou Disney's been doing it for years), and captivating belevable characters. The minimalistic approach wasn't just in the running time. The dialogue is sparse and only as needed, leaving viewers trying to fill in the blanks on the characters' backstories and underlying motivation. In fact, its the last scene that not only screams in big neon letters "start sequel here", but makes the audience suddenly ask more questions about our "hero"... all done with looks, not dialogue. This wouldn't work nearly as well if the art work wasn't so beautiful.
It seems that the 83 mintues is the culmination of the extras, which are in fact farly decent. The one this I noticed, which bothered me, was in the trailers. watching the trailer (and making of) I caught at least 2 brief finished scenes which were NOT in the movie! So, was this edited down? Are there scenes not in the U.S. version? Are they to the sequal? Were they in the U.K. box set? I don't know. The one last curious thing was the mention of brief nudity on the box ratings, not any in the version I watched.
Unless I blinked.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
This short films is THE COOLEST.
I have been waiting for an anime film,
regardless of length, that I liked visually
as much as Ghost in The Shell.
This is the first to do so.
And remember fellas, it's just like
all those sensitive women
used to tell their boyfriends:
It isn't how long it is,
it's what you do with what you got!
wink.gif

Sure, the film leaves you wanting more,
but what is wrong with that???
Regards,
Mark

Trevor H

Second Unit
The sound on this disc is nothing short of stunning.
One interesting note is that I watch most DVD's at -9 db below reference level and at that volume I have never bottomed out my SVS sub, "Blood TLV" made my SVS bottom several times at that volume so I checked the disc's dialnorm it is +4 db WOW!!! no wonder, I have seen many discs with a dialnorm of -3 but never one with +4
------------------
Trevor Harder
My HT Page
[email protected]

Mark H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hyland
Anyone know of ANYONE or ANYWHERE I can get the R2 Limited Edition boxset?

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
yes, but it requires that you can read Japanese and input Japanese to search for it.
Amazon Japan should still have a few left in their inventory (I believe).
K.C.

John DeLuca

Stunt Coordinator
Mark, 2 of them just sold on Ebay. One for $172 and the other for $177. Prices seem to have sky-rocketed since the R1 DVD was released. There is also one being auctioned right now. CDJapan is sold out though. Their original price was like $107.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I bought this the other day and enjoyed it thoroughly, though I also wish that it could have been longer. Not because I felt gypped, but because what was there was sooooo good! Amazing, detailed animation and a killer sound mix. The voice acting wasn't the best, but it was a cool film, nonetheless. I hope they go through with the sequel and that it doesn't take as long for us to get it as it did to get this one.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I watched this for the first time at a friend's house last night. While the animation is nice, I was very let down by the film itself. It seems to end just as it gets going. I remember saying to my friend, "this is it?"
I plan to watch it again in a day or so but, as of now, I have to say I'm disappointed.
Todd.
------------------
"He'll flip you, flip you for real."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks