What's new

Angle surround speakers down towards listener? (1 Viewer)

Rob Dawn

Stunt Coordinator
My surround speakers are on plant ledges on either side of the listening position. So that puts them 8 feet up.
Should I put something under the back of each speaker to angle them down towards the listening position? Or leave them as is, shooting the sound over the listener's head?
(Seems like I recall the side speakers at the movie theaters being angled down toward the seats.)
Also, any suggestions on how to angle them down? I was thinking about one (or two) of those rubber, triangular doorstops?
Thanks,
Rob
------------------
My Equipment
[Edited last by Rob Dawn on November 14, 2001 at 03:12 PM]

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Well my rear center channel was a little higher than the surrounds so when I tilted the rear center channel downward, I heard a big difference. Now if you are saying 8 feet from the floor, that would be about 4 to 5 feet above the listener. Either way I would point them downward towards the listener.
------------------
ONCE, I CONSIDERED SPARING YOUR RETCHED LITTLE PLANET CYBERTRON, NOW.., YOU SHALL WITNESS IT'S
DISMEMBERMENT...
Link Removed

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
experimentation is the key here. you should do both and decide for yourself which sounds better.
pointing the rears down will provide a more "directed" sound. leaving them level will provide a more "diffuse" sound, but i'm not sure (with direct radiators) if that's such a good thing. it kind of seems that the sound will fire "straight" out over your head.
anyway, in either case, just do a simple test and let your ears do the talking!
------------------
"The ship of death has a new captain." - nosferatu (1922)

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I would point them down just a little. Not as far as directly at the listener. Just a few feet above the head will do. Remember, surrounds shouldn't be direct, they should have a spacious sound that surrounds the listener.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree that the surrounds should not be pointed directly at your listener. I have mine behind, at ear level, pointed toward eachother. I tried many different setups, and this is the one that gave me the sound that I am looking for.
Speakers at the theater are angled down, but there are a lot more seats to baffle sound also, not to mention there are more than just one side speaker per side. The theater's goal is to get the sound to everyone, while at home, you are only concerned with your immediate listening area, which will not typically be in the neighborhood of 100 people.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)
[Edited last by John Garcia on November 14, 2001 at 04:12 PM]

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Pointing the rears down will provide a more "directed" sound. Leaving them level will provide a more "diffuse" sound, but I'm not sure (with direct radiators) if that's such a good thing. It kind of seems that the sound will fire "straight" out over your head.[/quote]Rob,
Ted is right about this. However, how “directed” the sound will be will depend on how close they are to the seating area. If they are very close, then they might just be too directional if you angle them. However, if they are 8-9 ft. or more away, they the sound will have time to naturally diffuse before it reaches the listener. In any event, Ted is right again when he says "experiment." Let you ears be the guide.
My speakers are about 9ft. away, and I have them angled. I like it just fine, typically well diffused, but directional enough to stand out when certain affects call for that.
By they way, since your speakers are that high up, I recommend inverting them. This gets the tweeters closer to ear level and somewhat minimizes the height situation.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
------------------
My Equipment List
[Edited last by Wayne A. Pflughaupt on November 14, 2001 at 04:48 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks