What's new

Angel season 5 (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Daryl, thanks for the update. I also have to agree with Mr. Whedon about programming, but that's for another thread.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
I really think we're seeing the swan song of reality programming, at least on network television.

Last I heard, the latest "Bachelor" was tanking... losing viewers from its lead-in show "Lost." "The Benefactor" also had its run cut short, didn't it? Even venerable "Survivor" doesn't seem to have the same buzz it did.

I think the reality craze has reached its saturation point, and it's diminishing returns from here on out.

So I'm not sure if it's a good idea for Whedon to abandon television at this point in time.

I'm also not too sure how well his story-telling would translate to the big screen. Much of the appeal of the ME shows - Buffy, Angel, Firefly - was the slow development of the characters and the long-running plotlines which can't be crammed into a two-hour movie.

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit
Hate to burst your bubble Joshua, but this is just the tip of the iceberg in regards to reality tv. It's dirt cheap to produce, thus making it more cost-effective for the networks. For every two or three that fails all it takes is one to succeed, thus offsetting the negative cost of its predecessors, that's why we are getting a second season of Wife Swap, My big Fat Obnoxious Boss, A Nightmare on Elm Street reality show, Gilligan's Island reality show,etc. Btw, Survivor is consistantly in the top five rating-wise.
I don't know if you're aware of this, but most networks are employing the services of reality tv brokers who come up with ideas, produces said ideas and pitches/sells product to the interested networks for a tidy sum.

Joel C

Screenwriter
Don't trash all of reality TV. Wife Swap is excellent, and Survivor and Amazing Race and others are good. The genre isn't inherently bad, just the way it is exploited with crass cash-ins. But no other genre is any different (ie the crass drama throwbacks LAX and Hawaii).

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
At least Spike didn't get his mug on the spine
smile.gif

Natalie F

Stunt Coordinator
quote:A bit disappointing that Spike's as large as Angel is
I think that's the best part
biggrin.gif

I have to say I thought they'd go with purple for the cover, but I like this colour, too.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Cant't wait to see the last half of the season again but it sure would have been nice to have a David Boreanz/Charisma Carpenter commentary for "Your Welcome."

quote:Doesn't match with the other seasons at all. Spike is too big, and so is Angel. Zoom out a little

I agree. God. Where is the rest of the cast? Does Illyria get the Spine?

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Yep. Those menus look great! Season 3 had some good menus too, but just when I thought they got the hang of it, Season 4's was pretty cruddy.

Matt Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
*sigh* Spike gets the last disc of the final Angel season? Why not Angel himself? Of course, the Potentials were on Disc 6 of the seventh Buffy season, so it's probably to be expected.

DeepDiscountDVD.com has this slated to ship Feb. 4 for me, so I'm steadily getting more excited.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Nice menus. Man, I can't wait until this set arrives. I really want to rewatch the last two episodes.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
If they hadn't wasted their time with "Why We Fight" and gone straight into Smile Time, disc 4 would most likely be the best disc out of the entire franchise, with You're Welcome, Smile Time, A Hole in the World, and Shells - my top four episodes of the season.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
A Hole In the World has my pick for best episode of the entire series.

That's the episode that made me convinced season 5 was going out on a high note... and it didn't let me down. Season 5 began as what I considered the WORST of all 5 seasons... but by the end I consider it one of the best.

JohnAP

Second Unit
I'd say the latter part of the season, the stuff on discs 3 through 6 is Angel at the strongest its ever been and this is the dvd I'm most looking forward to right now. For a show to be that good into its fifth season is incredible, for a network to look at those episodes and cancel it was downright amazing. Man, tv misses Joss Whedon.

I can't wait to watch these episodes again, though I admit it might be painful. The body count for major characters is rather high in the latter half of the season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks