What's new

Angel S2 cut? (1 Viewer)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
According to several sources, including the IMDB and City of Angel, the episode "Over the Rainbow" was supposed to open with a scene with Wes, Lorne and Angel in Karitas, then go to Cordy in the forest. The R1 DVDs go straight to her in the forest. Can anyone confirm whether there's an actual cut scene here or if this is just the previously segment?

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
I just checked the R2 DVD and the "Previously on Angel" intro does indeed lead directly into a scene with Angel, Wes, and Lorne in Karitas looking for Cordy. If that's not on the R1 DVD, then they've mistakenly cut it out of the episode.

Matt`L

Stunt Coordinator
It really makes you wonder who supervises the production of these shows. The fact that Buffy episode 100 (The Gift) had its intro removed leads me to believe that none of the show's creative staff have any input whatsoever in the dvd. I mean, it doesn't even sound like there is a fan at any level of production making sure these important things aren't cut.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Am I the only one who thinks that the disc should be replaced? Cutting previouslies is one thing (and a bad one at that), but this, if true (I have the R2), is just a big screw-up that needs to be fixed.

Chris

Jari

Stunt Coordinator
Man I feel bad for you R1 people. Why do they even bother cutting these previously bits?

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

Based on Peter Staddon's response at the last Fox chat, I'm guessing this is a Mutant Enemy policy. All of the Buffy, Angel, and Firefly R1 sets have had the "Previously on" intros removed. Meanwhile other Fox shows like 24(at least Season 2) were released on DVD with the intros intact.

Of course, that begs the question of why the R2 sets don't have this problem. I'm assuming Fox UK is stepping in and overruling Mutant Enemy. Fans complained over the intros not being available on the first 2 seasons of Buffy and the first season of Angel, so they corrected this. They also demanded WS releases, so Fox complied starting with Angel Season 2 and Buffy Season 4(despite Joss himself stating this is a 4:3 show).

Julia*D

Agent
Ugh, you guys are right -- they did cut that scene out! :frowning: What a mistake.

No, you aren't the only one. How would we go about seeing that happen?

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that Fox should re-author the discs with missing intros (how many are we up to so far? Just the two - Buffy's "The Gift" and Angel's "Over The Rainbow" right?).

Universal was willing and able to do it for Back to the Future over some bad framing (or whatever the problem was -- I never bothered getting the corrected discs myself, since I didn't notice anything particularly screwy when I watched my set, and I'd mostly bought it for the bonus features anyway) then Fox should be able to do the same. It's expensive, and a hassle, to re-author discs and process returns, but I doubt it would take too big a bite out of the profits.

Matt`L

Stunt Coordinator
I don't own the R1 Angel Season 2, but out of interest why has it taken so long for this to be discovered? It might make it harder to convince Fox of a remaster...

In regards to missing intros MaraKM, no, there are more than those two. I've been watching R4 Buffy season three recently, and whilst they are basically the same footage each time (basically just about the progression of Faith's storyline), there have been six or so, maybe more. I haven't really been counting. I don't believe any of these are present in the R1 version. I believe the only one actually present in R1 Buffy is for the first episode of season two, which strangely enough is one of the few missing from R4. Now that I think about it, R4S1 Buffy may be missing all of them. Memory's a bit rusty, though.

The reason 'The Gift' is brought up often is because of the fact that a lot of work went into it, and despite not having seen it myself (yet) the intro is supposed to be quite good.

But this Angel situation is the first I've heard of the intro and some of the episode being cut.

After having watched the intros on R4S3 Buffy, I truly believe that none should have ever been cut. They're not critical, but they're really nice to have.

Natalie F

Stunt Coordinator
Crap. I just ordered my Angel S2 from R1. I'm one who doesn't mind the no previouslies (although it would have been nice to have them), but them cutting actual show is just not on :thumbsdown:

Matt`L

Stunt Coordinator
Natalie, I'm in R4 land and despite the cut I would say you are still better off with the R1 than the local version.

This is due to the fact that the R4 is in 4:3 whilst both the R2 and R1 are in the 'intended but not originally shown' 16:9 ratio.

The region of choice due to 'correct' a.r., inclusion of previouslies and lack of cut is the R2. But as I'm sure you know it is damn expensive to buy from the U.K. :/. I'm beginning wondering if the German version, for instance, is any good, as the euro exchange rate is a little more favourable...

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Matt'L,

the only R2 version that is in fact 16:9 is the British one. The German set is 4:3, just like the Region 4 release.
However, if you check amazon.co.uk you'll find that the seasons 1-3 will be re-released in June. Different packaging, but decidedly cheaper than they are now.

Chris

Roger_R

Second Unit
"The reason 'The Gift' is brought up often is because of the fact that a lot of work went into it, and despite not having seen it myself (yet) the intro is supposed to be quite good." - It starts with each main character getting introduced (the main characters from S1) and then starts cutting faster and faster between the 99 episodes with the music becoming more hectic and then it jumps into the ordinary intro. I believe it'll be included in the season 7 set as "The Gift" Montage..or something.

Besides...the "previouslies" are pretty spoilish when it comes to episodes that has a tie in with previous episodes in previous seasons. Like the return of that military guy in the middle of season 6..That "previously" is the first in the last 10 episodes or so that shows clips from season 5.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I don't see how that is a spoiler. The previously would air before a season 6 episode, so you should have seen that season 5 episode anyway...

nevermind, I see. The previously might reveal that Riley would be returning because it shows scenes of him from the past.

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator

I think it's generally more the exception than the rule that there's a hard-core fan overseeing any tv-dvd release. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the people involved in the approvals process for the sets are seeing the episodes for the first time, and these cuts wouldn't be apparent to first-timers.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I think my S2 needs to be replaced for a different reason:

Mine came with 3 discs as floaters w/ big scratches on 'em and 3 broken center spindles! Unfortunately I bought online and didn't open it until past the return policy expiration date so now I'm stuck with three bum discs. Anyone have a # to call for Fox Home Video? :)

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I'm glad the Roswell Season One discs have teh previously on bits, but it is a shame that ME cuts from the episodes for DVD releases (and a really bad screw-up to miss a scene being cut from the beginning of an episode).

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

Matt`L

Stunt Coordinator

Cool, thanks for that info. I'll more than likely want to watch Angel season two before June, but if for some reason I haven't been able to get it by then I'll definitely keep that price reduction in mind. In any case, I'll definitely be getting it from the U.K. Now. cd-wow are selling it for 39pounds (includes worldwide postage), which is probably what the Amazon discounted one would cost after shipping... and that's a few months away!

It'll work out a little more expensive than buying from the U.S., but it *should* be the only season of Buffy or Angel that I'll be getting from the U.K.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

One would hope, but a lot of the "Previously on Angel" intros for Seasons 3 and 4 lead directly into the episodes. Hopefully they'll pay more attention from now on(I'm still getting the R2 sets regardless).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks