Andy Griffith RIP

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Garysb, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

Per TMZ Andy Griffith passed away today at 86.
    www.tmz.com/2012/07/03/andy-griffith-dies-dead/

2. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    I guess the fishing hole couldn't wait anymore. Thanks for the preservation of a great look at an idealized American life, Andy. We could all use a little more Mayberry in the way we treat each other these days.

3. Roy Wall

Roy Wall Supporting Actor

Well said.

4. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Quote:

Very well stated, Wayne. I know I could use a LOT more Mayberry in my life.

Gary "would live in Mayberry with Andy, Barney and the rest of the gang in a heartbeat if given a chance" O.

5. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

TCM will tribute Andy Griffith on Wednesday, July 18, with four of his films: Elia Kazan’s A Face in the Crowd (1957), at 8/7c; No Time for Sergeants (1958) at 10:15 pm; Hearts of the West (1975) at 12:30 am; and Onionhead (1958), at 2:15 am Thursday.
    TVLand has announced it will air a Andy Griffith Show marathon tomorrow, July 4th, from 8 a.m.-1 p.m. ET.
    Set your DVRs accordingly. Glad to see a national channel has the rights to the Andy Griffith Show and can broadcast a tribute.

6. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    Nice. I've never seen those last two.

7. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

Per Deadline.com
    Ron Howard's comments about the passing of Andy Griffith:
    His love of creating, the joy he took in it whether it was drama or comedy or his music, was inspiring to grow up around. The spirit he created on the set of The Andy Griffith Show was joyful and professional all at once. It was an amazing environment. And I think it was a reflection of the way he felt about having the opportunity to create something that people could enjoy. It was always with respect and passion for the opportunity and really what it could offer people in a very unpretentious and earthy way. He felt he was always working in service of an audience he really respected and cared about. He was a great influence on me. His passing is sad. But he lived a great and rich life.

8. dhammer

dhammer Second Unit

David
    Amen. So true.

9. vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001 Supporting Actor

Some people are actually celebrating his death, just because he was a supporter of President Barack Obama and Obamacare.
    Sickening.

10. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    A wonderful man, a wonderful performer, and a kind soul and gentleman. May he RIP.

11. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Producer

Richard
    The news of Andy Griffith passing away came as a surprise.

Some of Andy Griffith's 70's work I'm interested in, but what I will remember him for (even though I haven't seen a lot of it) is Matlock. Sometimes in modern day animated comedy series they take the mickey out of a programme from years/decades ago, but I thought The Simpsons did a good homage to Matlock on more than one occasion.

12. Roy Wall

Roy Wall Supporting Actor

"No Time For Sergeants" is one of the very best top ten comedies ever....and I agree with Danny Peary....Griffith should have won a Oscar for "A Face In The Crowd".

13. dmiller68

dmiller68 Supporting Actor

David Miller
    Another sad day losing someone that was part of many of our life's going up.

14. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    For those folks on the boards that reside in Chicago, just spotted this on the METVCHICAGO.com website...http://metvnetwork.com/griffithlocal.php#top

15. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    I was deeply saddened at his passing although with reports of his health not being great it shouldn't have been a shock. Andy, along with Dick Van Dyke and Johnny Carson (pre-retirement) , was one of those rare TV personalities who always seemed to "be there" and was larger than life. Andy and Dick in particular were admired by me for their generally classy behavior and for not being shy about expressing the importance of their faith.

For those who have never seen the movie "Waitress" from a few years ago, I highly recommend it. Andy's supporting character steals every scene he is in and the movie itself is charming and uplifting.

16. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I had some time this afternoon so I watched "Man in a Hurry" and "The Pickle Story" in honor of Andy and company. So funny even half a century later.

17. Carabimero

Carabimero Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alan
    I made a short clips tribute to remember Andy Griffith. I posted the link below for those who might want to see it.

18. Regulus

Regulus Cinematographer

William Hughes
    I read on another Board Mr. Griffith HAS ALREADY BEEN BURIED! I hope he (or his relatives) aren't trying to hide something, like a certain Musician did when he assumed room temperature in 1987...

19. vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001 Supporting Actor

Who was the musician? Sorry, never heard of him.

20. jim_falconer

jim_falconer Supporting Actor

I've had the first 5 seasons of "The Andy Griffith Show" on DVD for years now, without ever watching any of the shows. With the passing of Andy, I finally decided to watch some episodes. Started out last night with season 3, and the wonderful episode "Mr. McBeevee". I beleive I watched the next 4 episodes after that one, and will try to make a point to watch more in the coming weeks. Wonderful show, with an actor who fit the lead role perfectly.