What's new

Android through Yamaha RX-V675 Receiver via USB? (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey G

Agent
I recently bought a Yamaha RX-V675 receiver. I successfully played the kids' Iphone music on it via USB, but when I connected my Samsung Galaxy S3, it showed "USB Connected" but then showed "No Device" on the screen. I couldn't get music to play through it from the Galaxy. Can I not connect the Galaxy S3 via USB?

I do plan to add network capability to the receiver, but it is far from my router, so I'm researching the best way to do that now. The Yamaha wireless adapter doesn't get stellar reviews, so I'm thinking of adding a repeater/extender to my wireless network to enable this. From what I've read, it looks like I could play the Galaxy via wireless after doing that, but I just wondered if it was possible to do it using USB.

Thanks for any advice on getting it to play via USB and/or more easily adding wireless capability.

Jeff

Jeffrey G

Agent
I ended up buying a wireless extender (Netgear WN2500RP) to my exisiting router (Netgear N600) so that i could plug ethernet into my receiver, and we love it. Now I can control my receiver and play music from my Galaxy from my back porch or even from my pool. I can also now play from any of my network PC's. The Yamaha app is great as well.

Jachin99!@

Grip
Real Name
Jachin Adams
Im still new to all of this but im basically trying to do the same thing. I just want to be able to use my ipad as an av remote for all of my components. I downloaded the app from yamaha but even when im trying to connect it from a foot away from the reciever it wont work. how did you get the ipad to connect to the reciever in the first place. I have a wireless router, but im not sure how i would use that to get it to connect. thanx

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
You do have your AVR plugged into your router right? Keep in mind that, afaik, the yamaha app only works with yamaha components.

Jachin99!@

Grip
Real Name
Jachin Adams
i have the reciever plugged into the router, but how do i tell the ipad (which is what i have the app on) to connect to the router and control the reciever

Jachin99!@

Grip
Real Name
Jachin Adams
i tried going into the network settings but there isnt a lot that for me to do. it looks like the only thing that is displayed is the recievers name and its ip address. How would i go about setting it up on the network. do i need to do this on the router or the reciever

Jachin99!@

Grip
Real Name
Jachin Adams
i havent tried to connect any other networking devices to the reciever yet. Im not sure if thats what you meant. All ive done so far is download the yamaha app to my ipad, connected my ipad to the internet via my router and wired my reciever to one of the ports of the router. When i try to scan for devices or manually input the IP address of the reciver into the setup for the yamaha app, it tells me its a bad address. I can take pictures of everything ive done and show you if that would be easier. when i try connect my AVR to the the internet, this is what i do. on the AVR remote, i press ONSCREEN (this brings up the menus for the AVR on my tv)--setup--network and then it gives me the following folders: IP address, network standby on/off, mac address filter, network name. Under the IP address folder, it has a DHCP on/off option, but im not sure what that does.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Then you haven't set your AVR on your network.My question was simple. Do the audio apps work?Your AVR has Pandora and Rhapsody. You have to put the AVR on your network for Pandora/Rhapsody. So...Do the audio apps work?

Jachin99!@

Grip
Real Name
Jachin Adams
when i try to sign into pandora, i just get an access error message. The indicator for the router port lights up orange when i plug in the reciever. Im not sure if that means its not getting a full signal or what but it does the same thing when i plug that same line into my computer, but i still have internet access with it. The first time i tried signing in it almost let me do it, but then the error message came up. I also have about 10 things connected to this router, so i tried turning off my phone ipad, and tablet but the avr still wont let me sign into pandora.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Something between the AVR and router is not kosher. I've not personally setup a Yamaha on a network, only Onkyo and Integra.

Sounds like you need to find where to put your password into the Yamaha(I hope you have your network password protected).

It could also be in your "router log-in" that is causing the holdup. If my router needs an update it starts acting wonky. Before that...if you haven't downloaded its new update within 2 weeks of availability...it stops all new "joiners" whether wired or wifi.

Jachin99!@

Grip
Real Name
Jachin Adams
im using the netgear the cable company gives out. I googled it, and couldnt find much about it except complaints about how crappy the router is. If i had the wifi or bluetooth adapter for the AVR, could i use that to connect portable devices, such as an ipad to the reciever without using the netgear router?

Jachin99!@

Grip
Real Name
Jachin Adams
As soon as i unplugged the reciver from the router, my phone and tablet quit dropping the internet signal, and everything works fine. I dont think this router likes to broadcast over wifi and send internet over a cable at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks