What's new

Android Gets Netflix HD.. with a catch (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/05/netflix-for-android-gets-first-hd-streaming-certification-texas/

First, the big news: Android gets Netflix HD! (Which, basically has been on iPhone/iPad, and even Windows Phone 7 for a bit)

The Catch: It only runs on Gingerbread, not Honeycomb or earlier, 2.3.4 or better apply, but not 3.0.. and..

Oh wait..

And now we get into the Linux problem "my OS is cool!" "Yes!" "I've got this and that!" "Yes.. hey, I can't get that.. what's the deal" "Well, I'm running SuSe.." "Oh, I'm on Mandriva, but they are both RPM based, shouldn't I get that?" "No, because I'm kernel/step X.X, and you're X.Y" "Ooooh. Ok, how do I get to there from here?" "........"

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by mattCR

The Catch: It only runs on Gingerbread, not Honeycomb or earlier, 2.3.4 or better apply, but not 3.0.

You missed one more BIG catch -- you need an OMAP 4 device because it's the only processor that can handle the DRM. As a matter of fact, since pretty much all OMAP 4 devices will ship with Gingerbread, the processor is the real limitation. So no HTC or Samsung devices need apply. This is pretty much limited to Moto devices, and not the Tegra2 Moto devices.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Can I run it on a rooted NC (w/ a custom ROM version of Gingerbread), which basically has the same underlying core hardware as a Droid X?

_Man_

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
It still amazes me that in an age where we have beautiful big screen TVs, people would want to watch "HD" on a 4 inch screen.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Unfortunately, my 61" HDTV won't fit in my pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks