Android Gets Netflix HD.. with a catch

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by mattCR, Jul 5, 2011.

1. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/05/netflix-for-android-gets-first-hd-streaming-certification-texas/

First, the big news: Android gets Netflix HD! (Which, basically has been on iPhone/iPad, and even Windows Phone 7 for a bit)

The Catch: It only runs on Gingerbread, not Honeycomb or earlier, 2.3.4 or better apply, but not 3.0.. and..

Oh wait..

And now we get into the Linux problem "my OS is cool!" "Yes!" "I've got this and that!" "Yes.. hey, I can't get that.. what's the deal" "Well, I'm running SuSe.." "Oh, I'm on Mandriva, but they are both RPM based, shouldn't I get that?" "No, because I'm kernel/step X.X, and you're X.Y" "Ooooh. Ok, how do I get to there from here?" "........"

2. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson

You missed one more BIG catch -- you need an OMAP 4 device because it's the only processor that can handle the DRM. As a matter of fact, since pretty much all OMAP 4 devices will ship with Gingerbread, the processor is the real limitation. So no HTC or Samsung devices need apply. This is pretty much limited to Moto devices, and not the Tegra2 Moto devices.

3. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Can I run it on a rooted NC (w/ a custom ROM version of Gingerbread), which basically has the same underlying core hardware as a Droid X?

_Man_

4. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

It still amazes me that in an age where we have beautiful big screen TVs, people would want to watch "HD" on a 4 inch screen.

5. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    Unfortunately, my 61" HDTV won't fit in my pocket.