What's new

And the award goes to...Emmy winning shows not on DVD (1 Viewer)

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
As of today's date, the following are shows that won Emmy Awards for best drama or comedy series and are not yet out on DVD in studio releases.

1952-1954 Dragnet
1954 Make Room for Daddy (Jean Hagen version)
1958-59, '60-61 Jack Benny Program
1958-59 Maverick
1961-64 The Defenders
1965-66 The Fugitive
1966-68 Mission: Impossible
1967-69 Get Smart
1969-70 My World and Welcome To It
1969-70 Marcus Welby M.D.
1970-71 The Senator (Bold Ones)
1975-76 Police Story
1978-80 Lou Grant
1984-86 Cagney and Lacey
1986-87, '88-91 L.A. Law
1987-88 The Wonder Years
1987-88 Thirtysomething
1992-94 Picket Fences
1997-99 The Practice
1998-99 Ally McBeal

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
That's a revealing list, Mike. Seems strange that they're not out yet. I see some that are on my list. M:I, Get Smart, and Cagney & Lacey seem to be likely for '06.

Not a whisper yet about one of my 'big-wishes,', "Fugitive" :thumbsdown:

Chris Minogue

Stunt Coordinator
PICKET FENCES is one of my most wanted titles. I had forgotten it won Best Drama two years in a row. They really need to get that one out.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

At this point, I’m more or less resigned to the less than perfect public domain releases of the original version of “Dragnet.” In my opinion, Universal lost a great opportunity to showcase the Fifties version of the series when they released “Dragnet 1967” on DVD. Incredibly, side 2 of disc 2 was left completely blank and could have been used to include a few of the copyrighted Fifties episodes as a bonus. It would have been an easy way for Universal to test the waters and would have introduced the black & white version to a portion of the audience that only knows “Dragnet” through the color version of the late Sixties. Further, “Dragnet 1967” was one of Universal’s 2005 releases that was plagued with quality control issues. The QC issues of the ’67 set, plus the lack of foresight on the part of Universal to include some of the B&W episodes (it’s known as cross-selling, folks), have probably reduced the chances for further sets from the Sixties, let alone the original version of the series. However, there’s always the possibility that Universal might license it to an independent. In the early days of DVDs, Universal licensed a portion of its movie catalog to companies like Image, Anchor Bay and Goodtimes. If they were smart, they’d do the same with their television catalog . . . at least for those titles for which they have no intention of releasing themselves. The original “Dragnet” is simply too good a show to be lying dormant in some film vault.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

It's a limited 2-disc, 6-episode set, but Fox did officially release a sampler of Ally McBeal episodes titled "Ally on Sex and the Single Life" on region 1 DVDs

michael_ks

Screenwriter
From Michael's list, my top three most egregious studio oversights:

1. The Fugitive (finest tv drama ever aired)

2. The Defenders (the writing of Reginald Rose was the equal of friend Rod Serling)

3. Maverick (one of the most beloved westerns of all)

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Michael, it hasn't been completely ignored, but there certainly isn't much . . . a three episode sampler released by Warner last Fall. Unfortunately, there's been no word on any season roll-out of this series unlike "Cheyenne," which is expected to have a season 1 release early this Summer.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

While, sadly, “The Defenders” is not available on DVD, you can see the origins of the series in “The Defender,” a 1957 Studio One live production that was written by Reginald Rose. The DVD of “The Defender” was released a few years ago by a Canadian company called Video Service Corp. which also released a few other “Studio One” kinescopes (I have “The Laughmaker” with Jackie Gleason and Art Carney). It’s not the easiest to find at retail; you would likely have to purchase it from an online dealer.

http://www.videoservicecorp.com/TV/S...-The-Defender/

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
Isn't it funny how there's probably more interest on this board for some shows that started an hour ago than for classic greats that haven't been seen in decades. I don't know if that's indicative of the general populance but it would be pretty depressing if it was.

michael_ks

Screenwriter

Got to be. Otherwise by now we'd be seeing "The Fugitive", "The Invaders", and the many others that deserve a release from TV's golden/silver age lining shelves in Best Buy on some modicum of parity with the gazillion releases for drivel like "South Park" and "Buffy".

"...shows that started an hour ago..." -- love it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks