What's new

And the 2007 Universal Horror/Sci-Fi Classic Titles are... (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I understand some people being upset but I'm really happy about all these titles coming out. CAPTIVE is one of Universal's worst films but to be fair the two sequels are worse. I actually enjoyed THE BLACK CAT and I'm really happy people will get a chance to see HORROR ISLAND since this is a rare one and one a lot of people haven't seen.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I remember HORROR ISLAND from Shock Theatre when I was a kid, and I think it's more a comedy than anything else -- even intentionally, at times, I mean.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
"The Deadly Mantis" & "Dr Cyclops" are the ONLY two I'm interested in. I've had "Dr Cyclops" on Laserdisc for years. Too bad about no "Island of Lost Souls"! :eek:

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Would we want them to stop releasing any future horror oldies, in any arrangement or marketing at all, (including HD), after being hurled an "F You" for their effort? I admit that I'd be singing another tune if I couldn't get a Best Buy store in my area, but these days you can just order online either by credit card, check, or money order, which is what I'd do.

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
Would you be any less pleased with things if Universal had allowed other folks without access to a Best Buy, (or, indeed, folks outside of the US) the same opportunity to buy those discs? Joe and other HTF regulars on this thread have come across as quite generous to others here in their attempts to spring for, offer or locate both the old and new exclusive sets for those hard up, but it's still likely that many people will miss out. All you HTF'ers outside the US, how many of you think that you'll easily be able to get hold of these sets? I would have also bought last year's set from Amazon if I had known that it was briefly available, but no such luck.

Mario Gauci, I feel your pain and bow down in front of your eloquence.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Actually, I just read a post on the Classic Horror Film Board from Larry Sutliff, I believe, where he said he enjoys this one, so you never know! :)

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
I could be wrong, but wasn't the last Universal/Best Buy set only available at bricks-and-mortar locations, and not available online anywhere until Amazon apparently had their recent limited offer? I remember reading a thread somewhere else with folks bemoaning how they couldn't order the set online. If it was easily available online (especially to non-US folk) I doubt you would have heard as many gripes from folks as you do here. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's what I thought the situation was, and is.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Just goes to show you how different opinions can be. I enjoy CAPTIVE WILD WOMAN, and one of its two sequels. I don't think too much of THE BLACK CAT (1941) generally, though it's come to grow on me a bit, and Bela Lugosi is actually humorous in it. I only saw HORROR ISLAND once before and was underwhelmed, but am looking forward to a re-appraisal. I love MAN MADE MONSTER and NIGHT MONSTER is a good one. So I guess everyone ought to check them all out for themselves to see what they think. :)

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young

Online ordering maybe, but they don't ship outside of the US. I'm sure a lot more people would be annoyed with this if the set was announced as an exclusive at a British store that wouldn't ship to the US.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit

No - the set was available to order online, as well as instore. In fact online was the best way to get it, because you could pre-order.

But it is very frustrating for people like me who live outside of the USA, because Best Buy don't ship outside of the US.

I would not mind so much if Universal would state that they planned a general release at some point in the future. That is what usually happens with this sort of thing - it's a hook to get people to pay a little more to get the stuff on release (prices are lower as there's no competition), plus they add a little uncertainty by not saying if the title is going on general release later. Alternatively, store exclusives carry an extra something that the general release won't - an extra disc, model, special packaging, something like that. Indeed, this set carried a special Battlestar Galactica disc although I think that was only with the instore sets.

In this case though the title never went on general release, so it appears it was both limited edition as well as exclusive. Something of an oddity, and virtually guaranteed to cut sales, I;d have thought.

I remain convinced that the Amazon copies were from excess unsold stock, rather than specifically released to them by Universal. The very limited stock suggests this.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Gotcha. You're right, I wouldn't be happy. I was under the impression non-U.S. fans could still have these DVDs shipped. Well, maybe through eBay?

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Same here, but I'll probably pass on this set unless I can get it for under $10.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe

Absolutely -- I know someone who once said "Citizen Kane" was the worse movie she ever saw, and when I asked her what was the best, she said "Such Good Friends" (1971, Otto Preminger).

However, anyone expecting "The Black Cat" (1941), with Rathbone and Lugosi, no less, not to mention Sondergaard, to be a good horror movie is in for a major disappointment, and anyone who disagrees with that has a lot of explaining to do.

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the show of support all you non-Yank HTFers:)!

For your info, Joe Karlosi, this is what Best Buy has to say on its website regarding International Shipping:

”You may ship an order to these countries: U.S., Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, or an FPO or APO address. We are not able to ship internationally to other countries. Both the shipping and billing address must be an address in the U.S., Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, or an APO/FPO address (Military). Please be sure to provide a street address (do not use a P.O. box).”

So, technically, I can purchase this set online and have it sent to you – or Mike (to name my two oldest acquaintances here) – and you could send the package over to me, right?

But the point is: what’s the point of knowingly limiting your potential consumers? Why should us film fans be made to take the long and winding road to acquire these movies? Isn’t our money just as good as any one else’s?

As for those whining about ISLAND OF LOST SOULS (1933), all I can say is that it’s a Paramount movie and I don’t see Universal going through leaps and bounds to release a fully-loaded Special Edition DVD of it any time soon! After all, they did not do this for their very own THE BLACK CAT (1934), which is perhaps even more highly-regarded nowadays than ISLAND itself and even has the name of a renowned cult director (Edgar G. Ulmer) attached to it if they only cared to exploit it!! But, then, I have owned (and enjoyed) ISLAND OF LOST SOULS on VHS for the last 10 years so...Universal can go kiss my unmentionables all over again, right?

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

It's better than nothing for now. I just recently watched my VHS of ISLAND OF LOST SOULS, and figured that it was a good ploy to see a new DVD announcement! I mean, have any of you ever had a situation where you do something like watch a VHS or maybe go out and buy an expensive out of print title, and WHAM! -- all of a sudden, that's when a studio announces a release date? No such luck this time. :frowning:

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Ha ha!! Nice try Joe. I've had that happen so many times, it's not even funny :P I guess I'll have to find and buy a really expensive OOP VHS copy to get this released on DVD.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson

Yes, but this is mastered from a 16mm print, isn't it? The superior quality surviving 35mm elements still haven't been used. I'd love to see a really good DVD of this title released. I have the current release, but it's marginal at best.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks