What's new

Anchor Bay's Dawn Of The Dead 4-Disc Set (1 Viewer)

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
So will someone explain to a newbie what that differences between the extended edition and the European version are? Thanks.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor

The extended edition is the longest cut (137 minutes) and features more story and characterization than any other cut. It is also missing some of the final editing and sound mixing touches that Romero did for the final "Theatrical version". However, most fans feel this is a plus, because the more the better.

The European edition is the shortest cut (119 minutes) and features more original Goblin score than the others. The editing is even tighter, focusing on action, gore, and a little more humor than the others. There are shots in this version not found in any other.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
I'm actually quite impressed that Anchor Bay was able to deliver everything that had been rumored -- the Zombi cut, Document of the Dead.

I would've liked to have had the original script and Elite commentary as well, but this still sounds like an excellent set. (All things considered, I'd much rather have the original "Day of the Dead" script, which we did get on that DVD.)

I'm curious to see how this will be packaged.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor

I'm pretty sure it was mentioned at one of their early presentations given on the subject at a convention. I've got a lot of that stuff catalogued somewhere, but it's on another computer (I'll try to look it up, I could be mistaken). "Promised" might not be the best word to describe it, as they always said everything was tentative. Perhaps discussed would be a better choice.

Either way, this is an incredible set and barring any unforseen errors (Day audio, Halloween color, etc.), this could be one of the greatest DVD sets ever produced. If there is a way to make the set more complete, I would hope that they would do so as long as it's feasible. Whatever the outcome, I'm more than happy with what I'm getting.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Yipes.

...rental. I dunno. I like the disc I have. I prefer the cut on that disc anyway. I can't see myself watching either Argento's or the "extended" cut more than once. Same with the commentaries.

I'll miss the "Document of the Dead" documentary, and the new one, but I don't think that's enough for me to shell out 50 bucks for stuff I'm probably not going to paw through.

Not a knock on the set, though. It sounds like a GREAT set. Very well put together. And congrats to Anchor Bay for putting together something so solid. If only it'd happen for more movies.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
That's not a bad price considering the current release is being sold for $15 and I believe the Synapse release of DOCUMENT is around $20 so for $15 more you get two discs, an added documentary plus many more extras. I'm guessing stores will be selling this for around $35 so sell your current disc for $10 and that makes the price even better.

I'm hoping clips from the "Drive-In" cut will be shown in the new documentary. I'd certainly like to see this version somehow.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
That's a pretty good argument. I dunno. We'll see come September, I guess. I've already got the Star Wars Trilogy, THX-1138 and a couple other DVD's on my list for that month as it is ;)

I'll probably cave, but for right now--I dunno. the extras are great, but I'm not a HUGE extras guy. It probably depends on whether I can find the Synapse "Document of the Dead" disc for a decent price.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I really don't care about extras either but I wouldn't mind hearing the two "new" commentaries at least once. I tried to hold off buying the current disc but I'm a die hard fan so of course I had to double dip.....actually, I think this box will be my 9th version of this film on DVD. :b

If it comes down to SW or DOTD, imagine a fight between the zombies and Luke. Whoever you think would win should get the purchase. :D

Xploitedcinema.com has DOCUMENT on sale now and I believe it's the cheapest price out there. I'm not sure if the disc is OOP but I haven't seen it in stores for quite some time. It's certainly worth the money if you're a fan of the film.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor

I have the Synapse edition and I think people are really getting a bargain with this set. The special features (missing from this set) are a feature-length commentary by the doc's director (Roy Frumkes), a few unused interviews, maybe some random deleted footage, and the deleted original ending to Document of the Dead before they extended it a decade later with footage from the set of Two Evil Eyes.

The commentary is good within the context of the documentary and Frumkes' work (he also wrote the insane cult film Street Trash) and the excised footage probably lasts less than 10 minutes combined. Standing alone, the documentary will fit in perfectly with the new AB set. If you want more (or are a completist), you can always spring for the Synapse edition. I've heard that they're working on a new release though, so it's possible any future editions might have even more to offer.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
So glad that AB came through with the Zombi cut. It looked for awhile like that might not be happening. Definite buy for me. I didn't buy the last release since I was waiting for this one.

Isn't Argento an anti-commentary guy? Wasn't happy with his experience on Phenomena and isn't doing any more?

James Lambert

Stunt Coordinator
Although I already own all 3 cuts on disc plus Document of the dead, put me down for a copy come street date. I've managed to withhold buying the new copy of the theatrical cut, but does anyone know if the other versions have been remastered to the same extent, or at all. The copies of the extended and european versions I have from Holland are from really bad prints, with many scrathes and poor audio.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
*picks jaw off of floor*

This ranks right up there with my BRAZIL:CC and LOTR:EE sets for the most material about one film. I had begun to loose faith in AB recently, but if they come through with this one then I take my hat off to them. Of course they've had several years to work on it. ;)

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
I too am disappointed that they didn't try to do anything more with the soundtrack to the Cannes cut (my favorite cut of the film and likely the only one I will watch more than once).

Also, does anyone know if the Document of the Dead will be the longer version with the video footage from the Two Evil Eyes shoot?

Despite the fact that I have the Elite laserdisc of the Cannes cut (CLV), the Synapse laserdisc of Documnet of the Dead, and the Divimax DVD of the Theatrical Cut, I will be shelling out again. This much is certain.

-Lyle J.P.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Another must-buy for me. I've got many DVDs of this great film, and this set will sit proudly next to them. I hope the Argento cut looks as good as the DVD transfer released earlier in the year, as the maligned 'European' version is a guilty pleasure for me. September is shaping up to be awesome!

BTW, there is another commentary out there for the extended 'Cannes' cut; Tom Savini did one for the UK DVD release of this version. The film may be cut slightly, but it's worth it to hear Savini's excellent commentary.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor

Yes, that's the 3rd commentary that has been done for that version of the film (along with the recent producer track and the original Elite crew track). Frankly, I'll take anything they put on there, but I guess Anchor Bay decided it was redundant.

But, as they don't have anything beyond that mono soundtrack when the others have 3 or 4 (5.1, 2.0, mono, commentary), why can't we have the extra commentaries on that disc?

James Lambert

Stunt Coordinator
Regarding the Tom Savini UK commentary track, a word of warning to those purchasing it. It was originally released with cuts enforced by the BBFC (british censors) making it less than ideal for purchase. However thankfully that has been rectified in the last year, and all recent releases now have the uncut film. Also the uncut status is quite prominent on the packaging of the recent discs.

In the new set, isn't this the first time we'll have anamorphic copies of all 3 cuts?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks