What's new

Anchor Bay! You got some splainin' to do. (Re: Army of Darkness) (1 Viewer)

DaveRU

Stunt Coordinator
I started a similar thread in the Regional DVD Area, a couple of days ago.

But anyway, I now own this little DVD masterpiece and can confirm the quality is like the image above all the way through. :emoji_thumbsup:
It also has the extra Sheila clothes ripping scene, originally not included on the Anchor Bay disc.

The DD5.1 track is far superior to the original Dolby 2.0 Surround track of the AB version.

The disc itself is coded for Region 3 and 4. So any region 1 only players are out of luck sorry.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
The Dino DeLaurentiis film rights are a mess...remember that Manhunter ALSO has existing film elements for the deleted footage, but the U.S. copyright holder is not allowed to use them...

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Hey wait a minute, if Euro MGM can license a commentary track that Anchor Bay USA owns then why can't AB license a better transfer from them?

...yeah I know it doesn't work that way...damn it....

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
I suspect Renaissance Pictures owns the ARMY OF DARKNESS commentary and not Anchor Bay. Remember, the commentary on EVIL DEAD was originally on Elite's disc and went over to Anchor Bay, which signals that this content was created by Raimi's company and not Elite or AB. Likely AOD is the same situation, allowing them to license it out to MGM without AB's input.

While it would be easier if all the AOD copyright holders could just get along, the sad fact is each of them will play their cards against each other for maximum impact.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Remember, the commentary on EVIL DEAD was originally on Elite's disc and went over to Anchor Bay, which signals that this content was created by Raimi's company and not Elite or AB.
Not necessarily. I think it's more of a case of Elite and AB working together. AB released some of the special features from Elite's SE LDs on VHS, for instance (e.g., A Nightmare on Elm Street). So it may very well may be the case that Elite licensed the track directly to AB.

DJ

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
Anchor Bay's Michael Felsher has just responded with a long, informative post about this new ARMY OF DARKNESS disc, and his 'explanation' of their own substandard edition (and the multiple re-releases), on another board. It's well worth a read, and answered a lot of my own questions about all this:

http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/forums/sho...8838#post58838

He also agrees that the new Asian MGM disc looks fantastic...

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
I am particularly miffed by these comments from Anchor Bay's Michael Felsher:

I have not seen this DVD yet (I have ordered it)... The fact that more investigation from other parites has led to the apparent discovery of superior elements is something we are actually quite happy to see. I am glad that the movie will have a chance to look better...even if we aren't the ones releasing it.

At the end of the day, we hope that you continue to enjoy our future releases...of which there will be many more to come...(not of ARMY OF DARKNESS...don't panic)
So, the one time they could re-release "Army of Darkness" and actually make fans happy... and they aren't going to do it. :confused: I guess Michael assumes we all have multi-region players like he does.

Yes, he mentions that just because a better version is released overseas doesn't automatically mean that Anchor Bay will have the rights to use those elements, but he basically says flat-out that Anchor Bay has no intention of ever pursuing the possibility. They just plan to rerelease and rerelease the same crap transfer from now until eternity. :angry:

-Lyle J.P.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I'm not miffed. The Boomstick edition had be announced and was close to release when this MGM version came out of nowhere.

I wonder if legally AB could use that MGM transfer since they are the rightful license holders in NA.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Good point. Logically it would make sense that they bought the rights to release the film and should have access to the best elements of that film. Seems rather asinine to say, "Sure, you can have the rights to release this film, but only if you use this dark, dingy, murky print here. This nice, pristine, clear, bright print that we have over here is off-limits."

But I guess physical ownership of print elements trumps rights to the content of said elements. It seems to happen more and more, especially with older films, where there's a pristine print in some private collection but the copyright owner has to make do with whatever is lying around the office. :rolleyes

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
I don't think AB is legally allowed to use the film materials...the rights for the R1 discs were licensed from Universal, who licensed them from Dino DeLaurentiis Communications back when the film first came out...while the R3 rights were licensed directly from DDLC. (Rights problems with DDLC are also probably why the Manhunter disc had to source the deleted scenes from a low-quality videotape source as well; fortunately, that's getting cleared up...but that doesn't necessarily mean AOD will be...and IF they secure the rights, then we probably will see yet another AOD DVD...)

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Hmm. While this is truly disappointing turn of events for us R1 customers. Am I the only one who prefers the original edition (sans the ending), better then the directors cut. I got both, and I think that the DC is just too long, and it actually bored me! Anyone else feel this way?

Darren Pillans

Second Unit
I couldn't care less what anyone says, but I think the best version of Army Of Darkness is the original Universal US theatrical cut.

It's tight, has all the best lines and is frankly the most entertaining. The original ending IS a downer and the new ending kicks butt in comparison.

If you closely listen to Raimi's commenatry on the Directors Cut, on about five seperate occasions he mentions where the theatrical version's line here, or cut there is actually better.

I think there's so many versions of this film that Raimi isn't totally sure or even cares, what the definitive version is. It's clear that Bruce Campbell prefers the Director's Cut, I wonder about Raimi, though.

What annoys me is that the best quality "print" of the film is owned by Universal, which on DVD only exists on the original, non-anamorphic bare bones version. Have a second look at it. It has richer more accurate color and a sharper image than any Anchor Bay release. Sure, I accept it doesn't have the horizontal resolution.

I wish Universal would remaster their vibrant print in 16:9, then this film would look the best it could on DVD.

I gotta say, I'd love to see the MGM version. It looks pretty darn interesting.

I need an aspirin.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Raimi does go into certain sequences being too long in the commentary as well. he talks about how difficult it is to convince studio guys the suits that it's necessary to have seven skeletons, not just three explode for artistic reasons.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
One thing of note, The Boomstick editon that is coming lists the Directors cut with DD5.1, according to a retail site, which I think is new to Region 1. Has anyone actually confirmed that it is the same transfer as previous releases?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

The link in a prior post is to a direct statement from an Anchor Bay exec. He states these are the identical discs that are now in stores, simply paired up again as a set at retailers' request.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Darren,

I own every R1 version of Army of Darkness (Universal and AB) and also have the MGM disc on order.

I thought, and most agreed at the time, the AB theater cut was far superior to the unenhanced Universal version, which, if I recall correctly, is from the LD master.

I'll do a screen shot comparison when I get home tonight but one scene that really stood out was when blood gushed from the pit in the beginning. The THX AB version's blood was deep red while the Universal was an alomost faded orange.

Here is a quote from DVDFile's review:
The color balance on the THX transfer also appears more accurate. This is very noticable on the "blood flood" geyser near the beginning of the movie. The "blood" appears a deeper red in the theatrical version and slightly more pink in the director's cut. Contrast and black level are also improved in the theatrical version giving the image more depth with an almost three-dimensional look compared to the flatter, less contrasty look of the director's cut.
Are you comparing R1 versions?

Doug

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
It's tight, has all the best lines and is frankly the most entertaining. The original ending IS a downer and the new ending kicks butt in comparison.
You obviously are not a Evil Dead fan, and don't get ash... Ash is a screw up and an idiot... The only reason he fights back and is so kick ass in AOD, is because he pissed off and of course he fucks up in the end, and ends up in the future... That is the ending, am I saying that the Theatrical ending is not uber-kick ass no, it is but it not true to the Evil Dead series...

End Rant

I will be buying the boomstick release and the MGM director cut becuz i need theatrical release...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks