What's new

Anchor Bay to re-release their Hammer Films collection!!! (1 Viewer)

Joel Stein

Stunt Coordinator

Look HERE about 2/3 the way down. Lustig talks about why he didn't want to re-release the Hammers. But he doesn't mention AB retaining/renewing the rights...perhaps that development arose since the interview.

I'd like to see Plague of the Zombies redone with the opening credits restored to their proper place...supposedly this makes the opening sequence more effective.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Since the distributors are uninterested, Anchor Bay and / or Blue Underground should try to negotiate for some of the Hammer films never released to DVD in any region:

When Dinosaurs Rules the Earth
Creatures the World Forgot
Crescendo
Moon Zero Two
A Challenge For Robin Hood
Curse of the Mummy's Tomb
These Are the Damned
The Gorgon
The Risk
The Terror of the Tongs
The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll
The Man Who Could Cheat Death
Stranglers of Bombay
The Sword of Sherwood Forest
The Pirates of Blood River

Hammer films on R2 but not on R1:
Vampire Circus
Twins of Evil
Hands of the Ripper
She
Devil-Ship Pirates
Men of Sherwood Forest

I know there's a few more genre titles, the above is off the top of my head.

walter o

Supporting Actor
Richard, bad news is, studios like Columbia and MGM will not sub-license any titles to anybody, period.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
Perhaps QUATERMASS 2 will have a fix for the opening reel, which is of slightly lesser quality than the rest of the film.

IIRC, the two Fox films are no longer under the auspices of Fox and reverted back to Hammer.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Richard--W,

Is the The Pirates of Blood River another name for the Devil Ship Pirates? Sorry, I don't have my handy, dandy Hammer reference book with me here. If not, Devil Ship Pirates is also on DVD in R2.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
oooh... I hadn't considered the extended One Million Years BC. That sounds like a great candidate for Anchor Bay to pick up since Fox showed zero interest in releasing it.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
In view of the popularity of Twins of Evil, Hands of the Ripper, and Vampire Circus in R2, and the loud demand for them in the USA, it makes no sense not to release them in region 1.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
from Anchor Bay's website:
[email protected]

Use it!
But remember... requesting titles you KNOW they can't release is a waste of everyone's time.

I just requested the afformentioned One Million Years BC (Uncut).

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W

Mr. Arnette

Two different films, although it's been so long since I've seen either they blur together in my mind. Would make a fine double-feature DVD. Maybe when the sequel to Pirates of the Caribean is released some enterprising DVD distributor will have the foresight to arrange a piggyback release.

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
I don't find it intresting to re-buy movies now in 2006 on DVD. I rather wait for the HD-DVD/BR version instead. I still have a lot of hammar on laserdisc.

walter o

Supporting Actor
Richard, I believe TWINS OF EVIL is now controlled by Sony Thru MGM acquiring the Granada/Carlton library.

As for requesting ONE MILLION B.C uncut, Fox controls this, and since they released on DVD less than 2 years ago, I doubt they will let Anchor Bay sub-license it, as I think Anchor Bay's deal with Fox is almost over.

AlanBrom

Second Unit
"In view of the popularity of Twins of Evil, Hands of the Ripper, and Vampire Circus in R2, and the loud demand for them in the USA, it makes no sense not to release them in region 1."

Sony seems incredibly ignorant of this! :thumbsdown:

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member

Sure, probably, but since the fellow who asked the question is in the US I suggested a US retailer. Anyway, the point is that even though it's OOP it's still available if you know where to look.

Started watching PIRATES OF BLOOD RIVER last night; very strange little picture with Huguenot refugees vs Pirates led by Christopher Lee.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor

The long(British)version was originally released in England in 1966 by Warner-Pathe Film Distributors. Many of those titles are controlled by Canal plus which we know AB have licenced from before.

Joel Stein

Stunt Coordinator
For some reason the opening of Plague was re-edited for theatrical release in the US, and as far as I know this is the only version that has ever been released on dvd to date, in any country. (If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know!)

The re-edited beginning has the opening credits in the middle of the voodoo ceremony. Originally the voodoo ceremony played uninterrupted, the woman screams, then the opening credits run over the close-up of the figurine. Watch the credits again and study the figurine...you'll see that it should be at the end of the ceremony sequence.

Apparently the voodoo ceremony sequence is more effective when it plays straight through without the credits interruption.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks