What's new

Anchor Bay Press Release: Roseanne: Season One (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Why doesn't TV Shows On DVD have any news about this yet?

And I'm not trying to be rude but anyone can say that they e-mailed Anchor Bay and that AB told them anything. I'm not saying that anyone is lying but I just think waiting for some solid confirmation might be in order.

John*P

Second Unit
TravisR: This info is not BS. Trust me, I wish it was. :frowning:

I e-mailed Anchor Bay about this a few days ago, asking if the episodes would be syndicated and pointing out the incorrect run time for the set on their site. (they had, and STILL have it at 2020 mins)

Here is the e-mail response I received today...

"The episodes will be the syndicated version, with a runtime of 505 minutes. I have requested that the website be corrected, thank you for catching this error."

I can't understand why Carsey-Werner are giving people the syndication prints...I thought they were looking for reputable companies to release their shows so things like this wouldn't happen. Guess I was wrong. So, two of my favorite shows, Roseanne and Cosby Show, are given the crap treatment on DVD. I don't know, guys. I don't know...

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
Un-be-freakin'-lievable.

I used to think Stephen Cannell was the independent producer who treated his shows the shabbiest, based on all the music changes, but there's no contest: Carsey-Werner's treatment of its catalogue is truly horrible.

As to why they're doing this, maybe it's just that the syndication tapes are in better condition than the original broadcast tapes, and they've decided to release the version that "looks better" without bothering to edit the missing scenes back in? It's ridiculous, but it's happened with other shows and it will no doubt happen again.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

That's a shame. I wasn't doubting anyone but sometimes early on, incorrect info is listed and the studio corrects it (like the new Ghostbusters DVD which they first listed mistakenly as being fullscreen only and people went crazy before finding out it was essentially a typo). However, when multiple people start saying the same thing--when there's smoke, usually there's fire.

The worst part is that they must have told Rosanne to go to hell and that all she was getting were syndicated prints. I'm sure she is more than aware of the differences that would exist between the versions and they even burned her.

Matthew_B

Agent
Real Name
Matthew
I e-mailed Anchor Bay and RoseanneWorld asking for help with this (since it seems to be at the decision of Carsey Werner), but I don't know if this will ultimately lead to anything. Here's to hoping.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
well, hopefully C/W will feel the heat and latter seasons will be corrected.

The Cosby Show's first season was one of it's best, it really hurt to find these episodes edited. OTOH, the first season of Roseanne was relatively weak and inferior to latter seasons (to me the show didn't hit its stride until the fourth year) so the early episodes being edited isn't exactly the same type of punch in the belly. Hopefully by season 3, all will be resolved.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Were the Columbia House Vhs tapes edited? If not, I might just get a bunch of those to get my fix.

Nick_TV

Stunt Coordinator
Perhaps Anchor Bay would be pursuaded to change future season releases if we show our support for uncut episodes. Season 2 is planned for release in December. If we want uncut episodes, let's contact Anchor Bay and let them know.

I know that when Sony Pictures released the first season of "Soap", it featured a few syndicated episodes. As a result, the fans complained and season 2 was released a little later and it was uncut (from what dedicated "Soap" fans have reported). Perhaps Anchor Bay would do the same if we let them know we want uncut episodes.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
I don't think Anchor Bay can do much about it as they're only releasing what Carsey-Werner supplies them with. So I think the latter are the ones to be contacted.

Chris

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Anchor Bay is (apparently) at the mercy of CW but it wouldn't hurt to drop them a line about getting the network versions too. They have a direct connection to CW so they can let them know that people want the network versions. And definitely let CW know as well.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
Man, and I was hoping that Urbanworks was to blame for The Cosby Show's cuts.

I'd say that I won't buy this release, because I don't support sets that contain only syndication prints, but Roseanne is going to be a hard choice to make now.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
They're getting out of the new television programming business, with the singular exception of That 70s Show, partially because of the influx of reality programming in the past few years and because of the 10 pilots they shot for the upcoming season, not one was picked up. Carsey Werner has said that the company is considering moving into film production.

Martin_C

Stunt Coordinator
Just when I was stressing/whining about not having money to pay for all the new sets, I have to cross this one off my list!

Oh, Karma. Damn you.

Cuts = No Sale.

Matt_Troop

Agent
What I don't understand is howcome C/W is doing this? They Released 3rd Rock, That 70's Show, and God, The Devil, and Bob with full network release but theyre two most popular very important series with fan bases they put two shit by releasing the sydnicated releases that you can see everyday of your life. This will shock people but im still gonna buy this even though it will be edited just cause its my favorite show. I have Emailed Carsey Warner and Anchor Bay and haven't gotten a reply from either about this situation the only thing i got was a copy of the press release. Im going to email roseanne right now and then TSOD.com

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
This is my favorite sitcom of all time. And I'm passing on this set. What a shame.

This is THE ONE show I wanted more than anything else on DVD... and buying this set is just a waste of money to me. I wish I could say something like "Thanks for saving me 25 bucks..." or something, but I would have been happy to buy this set... unedited.

NO SALE

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Exactly, Robert.

I would pay double what they're asking if they were the complete eps. I love the show that much. But it's on six times or more a day here. Why would I need to buy the cut versions? Unless the originals are just in crap shape, (which IS possible) there is no excuse. Don't they realize that more people would buy these if they were promoted as "versions you can't see on TV anymore"? Imagine if films are next? Just the for TV edited versions....

Everyone go to AMAZON like I did and start posting the truth. Especially when they say "The complete first season"... Not true. VERY incomplete.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks