Anchor Bay and TV Soundtracks

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Tom M, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Tom M

Tom M Stunt Coordinator

I saw Anchor Bay's 2 disc set of the Incredible Hulk TV movies today. The audio was listed as mono. I decided not to get it untill someone can confirm this. All 3 of the Hulk post TV series should have stereo soundtracks. In fact, I have a VHS copy of Return Of The Incredible Hulk which is in stereo.

Anchor Bay has a history of scrapping stereo TV soundtracks in favor of mono. Crime Story is one. All episodes of Crime Story, including the pilot, should be in stereo. The pilot is in mono, however. The upcoming series DVDs most likely will be mono also.

Finally, although I don't have it, I noticed that the AB website lists the TV movie Nick Knight as being in mono. Again, the VHS I have of NK is stereo.

Someone should really check into this. It just seems strange that AB does this with TV product. Are mono soundtracks are all that AB has to work with? Then what happened to the original stereo soundtracks? Anyone know?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

the stereo track is probably just the mono shuttled to 2 channels. Until the mid-1980s there were no devices capable of recieving stereo

3. Tom M

Tom M Stunt Coordinator

Uh, no. The stereo tracks on my VHS tapes of The Incredible Hulk Returns and Nick Knight are TRUE stereo soundtracks. Both films soundtracks will decode to pro-logic. Both films even have directional sound effects. They actually sound very good for TV movies.

ROTH aired in 1988. NK in 1989. Both TIHR and NK aired in true stereo on their original broadcasts. As did Crime Story.

I'm just curious as to why AB is using mono when there are true stereo soundtracks available.

BTW, I had well over 300 posts on this forum so why do I now only have 1? It makes me look like a newbie! Weird.

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Stereo TV broadcasts became widespread in 1985; I believe the first stereo signal went on the air in '84. There were a few shows with good soundtracks but a lot were mishandled- some were promoted as being in stereo but only the theme music had any real stereo presence. I don't remember any Hulk show besides the one with Bill Bixby though.

5. Tom M

Tom M Stunt Coordinator

Yes, I know very well the history of stereo sound on TV. I also know that many early shows either just had the theme music and/or music score in stereo. Dialogue and sound effects were mono. That is NOT what I am talking about.

6. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

7. Tom M

Tom M Stunt Coordinator

True enough. BUT I also have Death Of The Hulk on Beta taped from the original broadcast were you can clearly see the big and fancy NBC STEREO logo they used to use. The other two Hulk movies also used the logo as did Crime Story. Nick Knight was in CBS StereoSound.

ALSO, I watched all 3 Hulk movies, Crime Story and Nick Knight on their original broadcasts on a stereo TV. I can tell the difference between stereo and mono. These programs were NOT mono. PERIOD.

Everything I have written in this thread is true. Why does no one believe me? Was I the only one in the entire country who heard these in stereo?

8. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

9. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

10. Tom M

Tom M Stunt Coordinator

11. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

12. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

13. Tom M

Tom M Stunt Coordinator

AND I was not aware of Anchor Bay distributing Xena.