What's new

Analysts: 3-D TV sales not as high as expected (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I am not surprised. The biggest culprit is the lack of easily available content. Both the studios and the display manufacturers have only themselves to blame for making exclusive disc deals, with Samsung and Dreamworks Animation the biggest offender.

I have nothing against giving free movies away to try and boost hardware sales. That is what attracted early adopters for DVD, HD-DVD, and Blu-ray. But all of the titles offered as freebies were available for purchase, as well.

Samsung and Dreamworks Animation have given the impression that the only way to get 3D versions of Monsters vs Aliens, How To Train Your Dragon, and soon the entire Shrek franchise, is to purchase additional starter kits at around $300 each. Sure, you get additional glasses, but if you did not buy a Samsung TV, the glasses are useless.

Sony seems to be getting it right, on the software side, by offering 3D versions of Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs, Monster House, and Open Season that can be purchased at retail locations such as Best Buy and Amazon. Disney is offering Step Up 3 and Christmas Carol and Universal is offering Despicable Me in 3D at retail.

Still, after approx 6 months, you can count the number of available titles on both hands.

Rumor has it that many of these exclusive deals will expire sometime on 2011. I can only hope that by then it is not too late....

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Toddwrtr

I am not surprised. The biggest culprit is the lack of easily available content. Both the studios and the display manufacturers have only themselves to blame for making exclusive disc deals, with Samsung and Dreamworks Animation the biggest offender.

Lack of content isn't helping but I think the biggest part of the problem is that studios have abused 3-D to the point where many do not care about it or they outright hate it now. Studios are releasing enough movies in 3-D for no reason other than they want to make an extra $3 a ticket that it's effectively re-killed 3-D. I've seen about ten 3-D movies in the last 10 months and three of them were 'improved' by 3-D (that's an abyssmal 30% average).

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I LOVE 3-D and wanted to wait until this new 3-D system was out before replacing the CRT TV I had since 1996, but I just couldn't wait anymore and bought a 55-inch 2-D LCD this January. If I were still waiting now I think I'd be pulling my hair out. I only had a limited amount of money to spend on the new TV, and didn't want anything smaller than 55 inches (I came close to deciding on the 73-inch Mitsubishi DLP, but I heard too many horror stories about them breaking, and didn't want to have to deal with buying new bulbs.)

It would be nice if someone could come up with a way to watch the new 3-D content on a non 3-D-ready display, even if with slightly reduced resolution (I have no idea how these actually work, so I don't know if it's possible to do that- I have to leave that up to those who actually design this stuff.)

I've also refused to see any 3-D movies in theaters as long as they are charging extra money for them- regular admission prices in theaters these days is high enough. I probably would have gone to see EVERY 3-D movie however if they weren't charging extra!

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Exactly. I just bought a 40" Toshiba LCD to replace my 32" Sony, which is now the bedroom TV. I wanted to wait until there was an affordable front projection 3D setup w/passive glasses, but it looks like I'll be waiting awhile for that (I was drooling over that new Runco setup, but the proce is just a hair steep). When you combine the cons of home 3D (high cost, expensive glasses, manufacturer exclusive titles, lack of available content outside of manufacturer exclusives), they still outweigh the pros.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
yessss... I've got two 3D movies to watch. Kinda wishing I had bought a larger 2D set.... If we don't get some 3D content out soon, I'm going to cry and stamp my feet and hold my breath.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I looked a little at 3D when I purchased my new tv. Honestly none of it really impressed me and I was put off by the fact that in order to watch the content availiable ( of which there isn't very much that appeals to me) I had to wear glasses. I can't see me honestly putting on 3D glasses in addition to my standard glasses I already wear, each time I would like to watch tv. The idea is cool but imho it isn't really ready for prime time in the home and falls short like the motion controlled gaming hubaloo. The other aspect as noted by others is that the studios release a ton in 3D at the theaters as is. I've only seen one film in 3D at the theaters and that was Avatar. The 3D effects were cool but they didn't really wow me out of my chair (nor did the film).

I've taken an unofficial and unscientific study of the various people I know and judging by what I hear in the course of conversation, most are rather unimpressed with 3D and think it is a passing fad. If the studios really want 3D to catch on, they need to work on changing this perception. The studios also need to work on putting better 3D content out as well. Please give us something more than crappy animated/family films, and sci-fi. Until the format matures a bit and there is better content, I think I'm quite content with non 3-D HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks