What's new

Analog vs Digital (1 Viewer)

nomad2180

Auditioning
Real Name
damon
Is there a difference in required strength needed between the two? Like does digital need a higher db level to run the digital cable? I have 1 tv in my house that was on analog and with the new switch by comcast to the dta its no longer working. I tried the dta in the other room instead of my hd box and it works there so I know the box works. any ideas?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Welcome to the forum, Damon.

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. DB is short for decibels and is a measure of sound volume. It has nothing to do with analog, digital, voltage or signal strength. DTA normally stands for digital to analog converter. If you have an analog TV and a digital signal, then you would need a DTA to watch television after a switch from digital service to analog.

And you totally lost me with the reference to your HD box.

It would be very helpful if you would list the make and model of all of your equipment: TV, HD box, whatever it is that you're calling the "DTA" and any other components (like audio equipment or a DVD player) that is part of your system. (This will usually be on the back of each piece of gear. Comcast doesn't make cable boxes or DVRs. They buy them, usually from Motorola or Scientific Atlanta. So that's the information we'll need - who makes it and which model it is.) Then we can try to figure out what is going on.

Regards

Joe

AudioENG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
I think it's misleading to say dB is to measure sound volume. It is a gain meaurment and can be applied to many things, sound is just one. Video signal splitters and amplifiers measure their respective loss and gain in dB.

Does the actual coax cable need to be RG6 to be digital compatable? if it's an old RG59 run it might not be compatable with digital

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks