What's new

analog video capture (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -

for you video editors out there, what are you using to capture your analog video to your hd?

i keep hearing good things about the dazzle, but i thought i'd see what else is out there.

thx!

ted

JonSpice

Stunt Coordinator
Ted you can find a lot of images from doing a wwww.google.com 'image' search, both HD or analog are available. I specialize in getting full art covers resizing them for zipping and printing to fit keepcases.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I use the Pinnacle Deluxe. It's an AV/DV bridge that captures and displays both composite and S-Video. Works beautifully and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Okay, I am big time confused. Where does this even come into play with Ted's question? :confused:

I think this is the one John is referring to:

LINK

I have the wame device and I really like it...the software is flexible while still being easy to use, especially for novice users or those not adept in video editing...

Additionally, the PCI card has a firewire port built in, so when you upgrade to MiniDV the product can still serve you...

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
ohh...that looks nice. but i just bought studio 8 (figures...those bastards), so i don't want to spend any more money on software if i don't have to.

this may be a dumb question, but i'm assuming i'm not seeing components that do *both* digital and analog. i assume that's because if i were to do digital, i'd just go firewire straight to my pc ... correct?

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
By "DV bridge", they mean a specialized box that converts (usually in two directions) between analog video on one side, and DV-over-(FireWire/iLink/1394) on the other.

JonSpice

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't know what you were after I thought a scene, not the movie itself. On w-tv I could use their capturing device to put home pages together. I have 10 MB of space but I don't seem to have the interest I once had.:)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Ted, you're looking for an external analog-to-DV capture device, one that plugs into your computer's firewire?

Then dont get the Pinnacle/Dazzle product if you dont need any software. For just a straight analog-to-DV device, get this:

http://www.shopharmony.com/product.a...IME&i=CNP72100

It's Canopus ADVC-100 A/D Converter, which does the best job of keeping audio and video in sync even on long transfers. No software at all, it simply plugs in. And if your computer uses a 6-pin firewire, it doesn't even need an AC adapter. And it has a power button which is nice.

DO NOT GET CANOPUS' cheaper products. The ADVC-100 is the one that has elements of their professional line but is still affordable for consumers. Any lower model than that (the 55 for example) and you'd be making a mistake.

I think the Pinnacle/Dazzle product comes with software that has some filters to clean up or try to improve the analog picture. But if you already have editing software you likely already have such options. Therefore a software-less device that simply does a really good job of importing the signal would make sense, and in that regard this one is better than Dazzle by a hair.

Final comment:

At $250, Canopus ADVC-100 A/D Converter is really appealing. I've been trying to decide on it myself. But bear in mind that for only three times as much you COULD get a highly rated internal card like the Matrox RTX10 that fits into a PCI slot, with excellent full versions of Adobe software bundles, for "only" $700 from places like
http://www.bhphotovideo.com

Matrox RT.X10 Suite video editing card
• Audio and video breakout cable
• DV-1394 cable
• Software
Installation and user guide
Installation CD
Full version of Adobe Premiere Pro
Full version of Adobe Encore DVD
Full version of Adobe Audition

$700 may seem like a huge amount, and the idea of performing surgery on your computer may freak you out, but if you have any plans to buy Adobe Premiere and Adobe Encore (the DVD authoring program), then you'll save hundreds by buying a bundle like that. The software alone (bought seperately) costs as much. You need to make sure your computer has a free PCI slot and enough power to run it, of course.

This decision, plus a general lack of funds, is why I have neither. But if I had to make a decision today, it would be between these two options.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Another DV/Firewire brigde alternative: I use the Datavideo DAC-100 which is $50-$75 less than the Canopus ADVC-100, but does what you need for transferring analog video/audio through Firewire/DV. It's what I use. I haven't had any problems with audio sync problems when I use it to transfer LDs.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thx for the great info will (et al). i'll be sure to check into it.

the only real appeal of the pinnacle based products is that i can get them for a discount since i'm working at bb. but i don't know how much or anything like that -- haven't done all the pricing research yet.

but the appeal of just hardware is definitely there, since i have (i think) all the software i need.

David Broome

Stunt Coordinator
I have and love the ADVC-100 from Canopus. I have done upwards of 200 hours of home video (some of it 50 years old), and countless hours of sports-related highlight videos for work...

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, does the Datavideo DAC-100 recognize macrovision?

Since we are talking about backing up for personal use (from old vhs to dvdr) this seems an ok question, but of course, deference to the moderator if they nix the inquiry.

It is still a factor in decision making.

Secondly, a general question:

For hundreds more, I see they have versions with TBCs built in, which helps prevent the horizontal "unevenness" of older vhs tapes. Any thoughts?

(Admin note - portion dealing with macrovision circumvention amended)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Actually, no, we don't condone discussing for circumventing macrovision, so let's not go there. If someone can help Will, please contact him offline via PM or email.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks