What's new

Analog to Digital Converter (1 Viewer)

Christo Ramo

Stunt Coordinator
The other day I noticed that Radio Shack sells a analog to digital audio converter. Has anyone ever used on of these things? I would imagine it isn't a true digital connection but would it be 5.1?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Christo I assume from your question that the converter in question is for audio.

But in any case, whatever signal you get at the beginning (let us suppose analog PCM or analog Dolby surround) won’t be turned into a new format (5.1) by being turned into a digital signal.

What most analog/’digital converters do (and I cannot say for sure about the one in question, as I don’t know any details), is take an analog signal and digitize it. The exact signal, without addition or subtraction (although some information may be lost in the conversion process).

There is no way that a converter can extract 2-channel information and change it to 5.1

However, there are some electronics that do simulate surround sound. Dolby II for example. Not everyone is thrilled with the results, although there is certainly a big market for this.

I’m reasonably certain that this is not what the Radio Shack converter does.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Hmmm...I'll have to look into this thing. If it's reasonably priced, it could be a solution to my digital cable box problem where there's no digital audio on the analog channels. I have to switch inputs on my A/V receiver and it's a pain.

Wait a minute...then I'd have 2 seperate digital audio connections, so I'd still need some kind of auto switch. ARRGG!!

Christo Ramo

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info... Today I called raidio shack and the guy said it will not be a true digital but I will get 5.1. That kind of confused me, doesn't it have to be digital to get 5.1? Either way I am going to give it a try in the next couple of days. I will keep you guys posted...

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I think that the guy is wrong. You can’t get information that was never present to begin with.

But let us know how it sounds.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Is this what you are talking about? :

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D1242

"Convert the audio output to digital audio and/or convert the composite video output to S-video. Simple to use with your choice of S-video and/or PCM or Toslink outputs."

So for audio it looks like it just turns stereo into PCM. There's no DD/DTS involved, obviously. Radio shack folks I find vary by their knowledge. Some know a lot, some don't know what they're talking about. Looks like you spoke to someone that fit the latter description.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks