What's new

Analog (LPs & cassettes) to digital (MP3 or ?) conversion (1 Viewer)

TimothyE

Stunt Coordinator
I have a number of "old favorite" LPs and Cassettes (100s) I've hung onto that I would like to have converted to some digital format. Minimizing the loss of quality in the conversion isn't nearly as critical to me as convenience (not a lot of "touch-time") and fairly minimal cost.

My audio components are nowhere near my PCs with audio cards, so I'd love to be able to record to my wireless notebook, a Dell Inspiron 8600 with USB2 and firewire but no audio line-in. Other than that, I wonder if there are any networkable MP3 (or ?) recorders that can plug right into my AVR.

What are some of my options?

Thanks!

Tim

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
A good option that is convenient also is a component CD-R audio recorder. You can get one refurbished for low $$$. Just set it up like a tape deck and record on a CD-RW. Then bring that to your PC, rip it and do whatever you want (like make MP3s, noise reduction, etc.). Erase the CDRW and repeat ad nauseum.

Dave Lindhorst

Stunt Coordinator
I am sorry but I have to ask why do you want to convert your great analog sources into MP3???? You should give that analog stuff another listen because there is nothing wrong with analog source. Myself I enjoy listening to analog source material more than I do to "digital".

If you think a CD can reproduce with no loss of sound from your analog source you should maybe do a little research.

Remember when CD players first arrived. They told us it was perfect and it was the end to beat all ends. Well suffice to say that CD players have gone through huge improvements over the years. A long way to go yet.

TimothyE

Stunt Coordinator
I actually prefer the sound Q of analog over digital by a mile, but it's just not a convenient medium anymore. I'd like to have that old favorite music just as available to me as everything else I listen to, which is often off a computer or a portable digital format. The tradeoff I'm willing to make is to suffer some loss of quality while giving me the same access to my old favorites that I have to all the new stuff out today.

Dave Lindhorst

Stunt Coordinator
I see where you are coming from. I thought you were going out of analog in favor of the digital stuff. No problem I was just curious as to why. Now I know. Have fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks