What's new

Analog (Hi8) video capture? (1 Viewer)

Is it possible or does anyone here know of some contraption that would allow my analog Sony camcorder to be downloaded to the computer? I have a bunch of events that I taped, and I was wondering if it was possible to record them to my computer for post production editing, and perhaps future home dvd's.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Chip_E

Agent
There are a number of analog to digital devices for capturing your footage. The first that comes to mind is Dazzles's Hollywood Bridge. It allows you to input any analog source into your computer via FireWire.

If you have a digital camcorder, most of them will allow you to connect your old analog gear (just as with Dazzle).

If you want to go direct to DVD, many of the standalone DVD recorders will allow for analog sources, and the newer models have some limited editing capabilities.
The Panasonic recorders would be a good place to start.

Hope this helps get you started.

- Chip Eberhart
- DVD Author
- Chicago, Il.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
You might also buy/borrow a Digital8 camcorder. It will play back your analog Hi8 tapes and convert them to DV on the fly. You then get all the advantages of using DV (in theory, never tried it myself).

//Ken

Chip_E

Agent
Using a D8 (Digital8) camcdorder to import your Hi8 tape can be tricky. It depends on the model that you're using.
Many of the older units have trouble with the lack of timecode on the Hi8 tape. There can also be issues with controlling the camera via FireWire.
That being said, a D8 camcorder will allow you to reuse your Hi8 stock as D8 stock (although a 60min Hi8 becomes a 30min D8). Also, as mentioned before, the camcorder should have the faicility to pass your analog source through FireWire.

- Chip Eberhart
- DVD Author
- Chicago

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I have the Asus 880 capture Card/TV Tuner, bought based on the reviews from AVS members. It does great analog captures and comes with a breakout box with S-video & composite connectors (so you don't have to get to the back of your computer to plug your camcorder in). It's cheap @ $70 shipped from Newegg (I got it when it was $10 more).

There is no big advantage of converting to DV as it isn't easy on HD storage. If you'd like to export the final movie back onto tape that's a good idea though. It would also give you an excuse for upgrading to MiniDV. ;)

Chip that Dazzle Hollywood DV-Bridge kicks ass! It also outputs any digital video back through its analog outputs. A real steal at $200 internet price.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I heard of people recording analog sources to their ReplayTV's and then downloading the MPEGs to their computer.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I used my Radeon VIVO (video-in video-out) card composite-ins to grab footage and stills from my fiancee's Sony 8mm camcorder...works OK.

David Broome

Stunt Coordinator
Let me HIGHLY recommend the Canopus ADVC100. It converts to DV and attaches to your computer via Firewire (I use the Adaptect DuoConnect for that, since it has USB2.0 and firewire ports in it).

What was said before is correct in that it isn't easy on the hard drive (one 2 hourHi8 tape takes up 25 gigs or so), but using an mpeg capture card in most cases is inferior quality-wise and makes it more difficult to do any video editing. I could probably russle up a sample of the exact same hi8 tape done both ways if you like.

I have been converting all my home movies from Hi8 to DVD using this equipment (the Sony DRX-500UL dvd burner), and the quality is very good. Much better than I had expected and better than the few attempts I had made with an older Dazzle capture device.

If you really want to get a lot of feedback on the issue, set aside some time and go to http://www.dvdrhelp.com (has tons of product reviews by users). It has a lot of information on Divx and ripping DVD's and converting to SVCD and VCD that you don't need, but once you glean the info about home movie conversion, you will not be sorry.

I love being able to click on a menu that I created myself and jumping directly to a part of my home movies instead of seeking through the Hi8 tapes. And I can leave the tapes in the fireproof box in the closet and not worry about them being destroyed by fire...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks