An open invitation to Warner to discuss your catalog titles

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by trajan, Mar 9, 2014.

Tags:
  1. bruceames

bruceames Supporting Actor

Bruce Ames
    Correct, however it goes without saying that the better it looks on DVD (comparative to other DVDs of like movies), the more likely it will pass the mustard on Blu-ray.

2. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Screenwriter
    Supporter

Steve
    ...but both Top Hat and Swing Time already have a history on home video via DVD, LD, and VHS editions.

The Wayward Bus is perhaps a poor comparison because that title had been a total no-show since VHS at the wishes of the Steinbeck estate, and had never been available previously in widescreen on home video. The release of that Blu-ray was a bit of archival heroism on the part of Twilight Time.

ahollis likes this.
  3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Again, Warner's standards are probably different than yours.

4. bruceames

Bruce Ames
    Yeah I know The Wayward Bus has never seen a DVD release, but didn't know the reason why. Thanks for the info.

5. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Screenwriter
    Supporter

Steve
    The Wayward Bus is easily among the rarest vault curiosities TT has offered to date. Apart from its previous MIA status on DVD plus continued unavailability in widescreen form via any other hard media edition, its monochrome 'Scope looks terrific. TT's disc also includes a fascinating, deep under the covers commentary about this picture's rocky development, production, release and reception, plus of course, Leigh Harline's superbly recovered score in isolated form.

Yet TWB remains one of TT's fits and spurts selling Blu-rays squarely targeted at the vintage 'Scope faithful, plus completist fans of Mansfield and Collins. Since it is still available after 2 years, I think it's pretty safe to say that when those last discs finally do go, no one will run with this title again, not even Fox, except possibly via streaming minus the commentary and isolated score (both major selling points in this particular case).

Actually, I thought it was a top-notch package and have felt compelled to watch the infernal thing three times since purchase - for the most fun, with its candid commentary on. But it's still a sobering reminder, germane to this discussion, that even something as back-of-the-vault rare as this can still struggle to find 3000 collectors worldwide dedicated enough to actually want to own it.

ahollis, Matt Hough and bruceames like this.
  6. bruceames

Bruce Ames
    A few other obscure Fox oddities from Twilight Time that have not been released on DVD (although a few are available as imports), are Rapture, The Only Game in Town, The Sound and the Fury, High Time, The Rains of Ranchipur and Pony Soldier. All of these are just as obscure as The Wayward Bus. I guess it's nice to know that Blu-ray has a few "exclusives" of its own! :)

7. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

And I was even thinking as I pulled the trigger on this purchase that there would likely be a sale now on TT titles (even though they are few and far between).

And, of course, comes the announcement today of the $10 off sale to celebrate TT's 3rd birthday! [​IMG]

Everybody's welcome! :D

8. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Actor

Mark
    Mustard is cut. "Cut the mustard"
    Muster is passed. "Pass muster"

Carry on.

9. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Screenwriter
    Supporter

Steve
    Pass the mustard, my hot dog is getting cold... :P

davidHartzog and schan1269 like this.
  10. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    I preordered this right away when it was first made available because I was equally shocked by the film being made available. It was passed over on both the Jayne Mansfield and Joan Collins DVD boxed sets and the word was that it had rights problems. Even Twilight Time expressed shock that Fox was actually willing to license the title and and HS master was already made saying (paraphrasing) "We also thought there were rights issues to this. Yet we asked for this title and surprisingly, they said it was okay!"

11. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Screenwriter
    Supporter

Steve
    Then I guess The Wayward Bus Wiki needs a citation for this statement Joe:
    Like everyone else, I'd always understood that this film had been permanently interned by the Steinbeck estate. The only possible loophole I could think of that might have allowed for release of this film on Blu-ray was its strict 3000 unit limit. I mean, there might have been some specific wording in the agreement that prevented Fox from a wider release on DVD, but did not restrict the studio (or a sub-licensee) from releasing a limited, archival presentation like this...especially in a format that did not even exist when the original agreement was signed.

Beats me, but I was just as shocked to see it available from TT...

12. bujaki

bujaki Screenwriter

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    The production code made its usual demands, and a happy ending was added as well. Not Steinbeck's intent.
    Nevertheless, was I glad to see it in such a great transfer!

13. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    I was just as shocked to see the Otto Preminger Paramount titles from Olive. Rights issues with the Preminger estate was all everyone said was the problem they were not released but lo and behold their they were finally.

ROclockCK likes this.
  14. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Screenwriter
    Supporter

Steve
    It's indeed a mystery how these things play out sometimes Allen...

Back to the topic at hand though, I wonder if WB would consider offering some kind of 'subscription' service for the WAC? Simply to guarantee several thousand units per title and justify a base run. Sort of like the 'book of the month club', only for Blu-ray. I mean, at this late date, isn't it a given that many - if not most - of the fans interested enough to own these WAC Blu-ray editions would want (are already buying) all of them?

Unrealistic? I dunno, I have all of the WAC Blu's to date. Am I alone in that?

ahollis likes this.
  15. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    I would one of the first subscribers. Great idea.

16. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
  17. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Producer
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    I'd get in on that. Kinda sounds like what Jack White is doing with his Third Man Records Vault membership. You pay a quarterly fee, they count up how many members they have, and press that many copies of a particular vinyl release - usually a combo of new Jack White music, older stuff from his other bands, and older music from lesser known artists long out of print. You don't always know what you're getting, but it's always a beautifully made package that just inspires you to try listening to something you might not know. For $20 or so a month, I'd subscribe to a Blu-ray club like that. I mean, what's the worse case scenario? I'm out $20 on a movie I end up not liking, and can just try to sell it online? That doesn't sound so bad. These days, a ticket to a 2D movie in NYC is $14.50, so $20 for a blind buy disc that I can watch again and again seems more than a fair deal by comparison!

18. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Screenwriter
    Supporter

Steve
    That was my thinking Josh. If the WAC already had a whack of Blu-rays, then perhaps picking and choosing might be preferable. But at this point, it is so light in titles that just about anything getting a release would find (is already finding) the same starved-for-product buyers. If a 'core customer subscription plan was in place, that *might* give the studio enough incentive to release...say...2 titles per month. Better than their current delivery pace...

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  19. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Producer
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    Throw some numbers on the spine and my inner collector won't be able to resist.

20. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Screenwriter

Keith Cobby
    Doris Day is 90 years of age this week. Come on Warners what about an announcement of your intention to release some of her great legacy on blu-ray. I would like Calamity Jane (my wife's favourite) and Love Me or Leave Me (my favourite).