What's new

An OK amp for SVS sub? (1 Viewer)

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
I have an old Proton 520 integrated stereo amplifier which I bought used back in the 1980's. There was no manual but the back plate says it's 150W, and a Usenet search came up with this info: 20 continuous average W/ch 20-20000 Hz with no > 0.015 % THD into 8 ohms. Dynamic headroom 4.7 dB. Slew rate 18V/uS. High current stable into 2 ohms. 15 lbs , $200 orig MSRP.
As a power source for either an SVS 20-39 or 16-46 sub would this amp beup to the task?

Rich G

Stunt Coordinator
Really? 20 watts? The 4.7 headroom is nice, but 20 watts?
If so, does that mean a 50 watt NAD receiver would work okay?
------------------
Rich G.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Yikes!
I missed that part...just saw the 150w and 2ohm stable.
I'm not sure what 20w continuous into 8ohm at full bandwidth(and 4.7dB of headroom) would = into 4ohms with only one channel on this amp?
I guess would have it in the 60-75w range?
That would still work surprisingly well...but I wouldn't consider it a permanent solution or anything.
TV

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Rich:
A 50 watt NAD receiver will most likely do really well. NAD is notorious for rating their receivers/amps conservatively, very conservatively sometimes. I think the c340, which I have, is rated for 50wpc RMS, but actually puts out something like 90wpc RMS.
So, the NAD receiver should be great.
Remember Tom V. tried out a pair of SVS on an $80 KLH receiver from BestBuy, with surprisingly good results.

Rich G

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply Richard.
I just looked at the manual:
60 watts [(14dBW) whatever that means] in stereo mode at 8 ohms.
Dynamic power 70W (18dBW) 8 ohms.
110W (19dBW) 4 ohms.
Continuous power 60W 8ohms
60W 4ohms-the same?
I would eventually like to get two subs and if the NAD could do the job the SVS looks more affordable. They would be used mainly for music and TV at lower volumes.
------------------
Rich G.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Rich,
I'd say 110 watts into 4 ohms would be about right (generally amps run about double their power into 4 ohms versus 8 Ohms ratings). And NAD tends to be a bit conservative I think, in comparison to other makers.
While you won't max out an SVS CS subwoofer with that amount of juice, I'm willing to bet it'll be the best that amp ever sounded.
In fact I'd even get a second sub before I upped the amp. 100 watts (esp. if you are running dual subs) will floor you.
Try one and tell me I'm wrong ;^)
Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks