What's new

3D An in-depth look at...™ DIAL M FOR MURDER (1 Viewer)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Unsurprisingly, one of the best reviews, which takes into account the limitations of WarnerColor and the attendant artifacts, is from DVDSavant. A lot of people tend to slag on him when he talks about quality of transfer, but he really hit the nail on the head this time out.

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Real Name
James Nelson
Stephen_J_H said:
Unsurprisingly, one of the best reviews, which takes into account the limitations of WarnerColor and the attendant artifacts, is from DVDSavant. A lot of people tend to slag on him when he talks about quality of transfer, but he really hit the nail on the head this time out.
You're right. It's an excellent review. My favorite part:
...Why do home video reviewers insist on critiquing 60 year-old movies as if they were filmed yesterday? Big mistakes get made, but by and large experienced transfer people know a bit more than you and I about their work, and do the best with what they're given....

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
An excellent post from another DIAL M thread that is worth sharing.
1.85:1 was Hitchcock's intended composition and should be respected. It was his first widescreen movie.
I was relieved to see that with the proper 1.85:1 framing (or 1.78:1 for the Blu-ray?) we no longer get an unintentional peek of the scissors effect device pre-set on actor Anthony Dawson's back when he is hunched over Grace Kelly at the desk right before she finds a new home for the blade. That was always a problem, among others, with the open matte version. You couldn't help notice a shiny object of some kind poking up from his back at the top of the frame before she can get the scissors there. Obviously a device of some kind is spring loaded and ready to create the stabbing effect.
Unless there was some digital masking involved in the production of the Blu-ray or I'm mistaken about one or two theatrical presentations of it in the distant past, that tell-tale giveaway was something I've seen in every theatrical, television and home video version of DMFM I've ever seen. And I've seen theatrical presentations of it in 3-D at the Tiffany Theater in Los Angeles decades ago and a few years ago at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood, Ca. at one of their 3-D festivals. I'm not as certain about those theatrical presentations, but I know it can be seen on the earlier open matte standard DVD. No sign of it on this Blu-ray though, thank goodness.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Fascinating read, thanks for the article!
Reading comments about Dial M 3D being "the utilization of available technique at its best" really makes one appreciate (a) the mastery of the film medium that Hitchock had to so quickly adapt to new technology, and (b) how lucky we are to finally be able to see the movie as it was intended without the technical issues that appear to have plagued the 3d of the 50's.
I've yet to receive my copy of the movie, and when I do, I'm actually saving it to savor it (along with Creature and other recently released classics) over my (Australian summer) holidays. Your article has made it just that much harder to wait until I see it!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Got a chance to take an abbreviated tour through the film yesterday. In spite of the built-in shortcomings of the WarnerColor, etc., it's such a gorgeous thing, and what a pleasure to finally have it right at my fingertips.

Yes, it's dark, even on my plasma, but definitely watchable. Not horrible.

But oddly, I see ghosting! I don't get it on any of my several other 3D features, and I don't believe anyone has mentioned seeing it on DIAL M yet. It's noticeable in high contrast areas, the most obvious example being right at the top of Chapter 11, the shot of Dawson walking toward us on the street at night. The streetlamps, Dawson himself, everything has ghosting. As I understand it, the extent to which ghosting is seen is wholly dependent on the display itself, so I have to wonder why I don't have the problem at the places in other films where a lot of other people are seeing it, and do have it here where apparently no one has (yet). Weird! It's all still watchable and highly enjoyable -- this is not a complaint, trust me on that!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
And, what Bob and others are saying .....

There's no question that, contrary to the common notion of this being a weaker entry in the 1950s 3D lineup -- I'd say it's one of the strongest! It's right up there with INFERNO in brilliant use of 3D in a drama/suspense film. More, please!

Reactions: PMF

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Chas in CT said:
Got a chance to take an abbreviated tour through the film yesterday.  In spite of the built-in shortcomings of the WarnerColor, etc., it's such a gorgeous thing, and what a pleasure to finally have it right at my fingertips.
Yes, it's dark, even on my plasma, but definitely watchable.  Not horrible.
But oddly, I see ghosting!  I don't get it on any of my several other 3D features, and I don't believe anyone has mentioned seeing it on DIAL M yet.  It's noticeable in high contrast areas, the most obvious example being right at the top of Chapter 11, the shot of Dawson walking toward us on the street at night.  The streetlamps, Dawson himself, everything has ghosting.  As I understand it, the extent to which ghosting is seen is wholly dependent on the display itself, so I have to wonder why I don't have the problem at the places in other films where a lot of other people are seeing it, and do have it here where apparently no one has (yet).  Weird!  It's all still watchable and highly enjoyable -- this is not a complaint, trust me on that!
I had the same experience with ghosting. I don't see it in my other 3D titles, Titanic and Tron Legacy. It's pretty bad in the scene you mentioned and many others.
Still, I can't complain too much as otherwise it was great. Very good transfer and really effective use of 3D. And a great movie too...something I never really thought before viewing this 3D version.
I watched the 2D version as well. It looked great too, keeping in mind the way it was made. I.e. it looks great in the same way Hondo does...extremely soft shots and all. The ringing noted in some "reviews" is obviously a photochemical anomoly. Why would someone subtract points for that? It's not digital edge enhancement or other result of overzealous kob-twiddling in the mastering suite. This particular review even claimed Dial M was produced using anaglyph...which mysteriously dissapeared after the review was published for a day or so. Still a 2.5 out of 5 for transfer quality...such a shame as studio folks read that and probably think "well, so much for vintage 3D titles on BD"
EDIT: Just to be clear, I am not referring to the HTF review.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
It's been my experience that some reviewers on other sites do not like to be told they made a mistake...

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Scott Calvert said:
I had the same experience with ghosting. I don't see it in my other 3D titles, Titanic and Tron Legacy. It's pretty bad in the scene you mentioned and many others.
Still, I can't complain too much as otherwise it was great. Very good transfer and really effective use of 3D. And a great movie too...something I never really thought before viewing this 3D version.
I watched the 2D version as well. It looked great too, keeping in mind the way it was made. I.e. it looks great in the same way Hondo does...extremely soft shots and all. The ringing noted in some "reviews" is obviously a photochemical anomoly. Why would someone subtract points for that? It's not digital edge enhancement or other result of overzealous kob-twiddling in the mastering suite. This particular review even claimed Dial M was produced using anaglyph...which mysteriously dissapeared after the review was published for a day or so. Still a 2.5 out of 5 for transfer quality...such a shame as studio folks read that and probably think "well, so much for vintage 3D titles on BD"
EDIT: Just to be clear, I am not referring to the HTF review.
We know exactly who you're referring to :) A hard head is not always a good thing - I think someone said that once.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Bob Furmanek said:
It's been my experience that some reviewers on other sites do not like to be told they made a mistake...
Exactly. If someone is apprised of something, and if that someone is a "reviewer" and they've made a mistake in their review or attributed something as a transfer problem rather than to the film elements themselves then they should go in and adjust their review, say they've gotten information about what they perceived as a problem and adjust their scores accordingly. But they don't. Ever. Even the DVD Beaver with all his silliness will at least post comments from people who know - he doesn't change what he wrote (not that anyone would take it seriously) but he at least prints the comments that correct him.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by haineshisway /t/324391/an-in-depth-look-at-dial-m-for-murder#post_3988175
Exactly. If someone is apprised of something, and if that someone is a "reviewer" and they've made a mistake in their review or attributed something as a transfer problem rather than to the film elements themselves then they should go in and adjust their review, say they've gotten information about what they perceived as a problem and adjust their scores accordingly. But they don't. Ever. Even the DVD Beaver with all his silliness will at least post comments from people who know - he doesn't change what he wrote (not that anyone would take it seriously) but he at least prints the comments that correct him.

The best approach is to leave the initial comments (though preferably lined out) and add the corrections. That way everyone knows what the original review said and also what the new corrections clarify.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Chas in CT said:
Got a chance to take an abbreviated tour through the film yesterday.  In spite of the built-in shortcomings of the WarnerColor, etc., it's such a gorgeous thing, and what a pleasure to finally have it right at my fingertips.
Yes, it's dark, even on my plasma, but definitely watchable.  Not horrible.
But oddly, I see ghosting!  I don't get it on any of my several other 3D features, and I don't believe anyone has mentioned seeing it on DIAL M yet.  It's noticeable in high contrast areas, the most obvious example being right at the top of Chapter 11, the shot of Dawson walking toward us on the street at night.  The streetlamps, Dawson himself, everything has ghosting.  As I understand it, the extent to which ghosting is seen is wholly dependent on the display itself, so I have to wonder why I don't have the problem at the places in other films where a lot of other people are seeing it, and do have it here where apparently no one has (yet).  Weird!  It's all still watchable and highly enjoyable -- this is not a complaint, trust me on that!
When there is high contrast, you will see ghosting on some titles with LCD or plasma displays. With DLP's you should not see any.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by RolandL /t/324391/an-in-depth-look-at-dial-m-for-murder/30#post_3988423
When there is high contrast, you will see ghosting on some titles with LCD or plasma displays. With DLP's you should not see any.

Yes. It's in that one shot outside at night (mainly because of the reflected light if the street lamp), as well as on white shirts / dark collars. The credits having extreme positive depth also has ghosting on some setups.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Bob Furmanek said:
Our new article is now on the website. We present our review of the new Blu-ray plus the background and history on this landmark 3-D production. We also clear up a few long-standing myths along the way!
http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/dial-m-blu-ray-review
Greg Kintz and I hope you will enjoy it.
Bob
Instructive.
Thanks for teaching this class.
Looking forward to the next one.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Thank you very much, Richard.
Our in-depth look at Creature should be finished in the next day or two...

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
For those that may have missed it, here's our CREATURE Blu-ray review, including some never-before-seen 3-D posters:
http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/an-in-depth-look-at-creature-from-the-black-lagoon-1

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Sorry to resurrect such a long empty thread, but it seemed like the best place to mention that Intrada Records has started a Kickstarter campaign for a new recording of Tiomkin’s score for this film (I also created a separate thread about this in the music forum, but I’m not entirely sure how often people check the music forum).

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...der-film-score-recording?ref=created_projects

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks